Split daily rest

Wondering if any of you fountains of knowledge can clarify this: If i take a split daily rest, i.e 3hrs + 9hrs later, whats the maximum number of driving hours in that 24 hour period? I know i can work max 12 hours, but of that is the max driving 9 hours, or can that still be increased to 10?

Also, is a split daily rest considered a regular or reduced rest?

VOSA’s guidance in GV262 (p.20) ain’t much use:

Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at
least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be
at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours. For example:

24-hour period
Driving + other work + breaks = 8 hours | Rest 3 hours | Driving + other work + breaks = 4 hours | Rest 9 hours

Anyone know where I can find the definitive answer to that?

Cheers,
Chris.

The split daily rest has nothing to do with the driving hours. If you have used up your 10’s then you only have 4 x 9’s left. A split daily rest is considered a normal rest period.

Thanks, that’s what I thought, but there was a little voice telling me I was wrong and taking a split rest meant reduced driving hours, for some reason. Should probably get those voices checked out :laughing: