Split daily rest question.

Does rest count as rest and not break as in I could technically do a 15 hour working day plus 3 hours uninterrupted rest in between??
Or should it be a 12 hour working day plus 3 hours rest equaling a total of a 15 hour day ■■?
Cheers.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Does rest count as rest and not break as in I could technically do a 15 hour working day plus 3 hours uninterrupted rest in between?? Or should it be a 12 hour working day plus 3 hours rest equaling a total of a 15 hour day ■■? Cheers.

3 hours uninterrupted rest in a 15 or 13 hour shift, 9 hours off pal! Don’t forget your 45 min BREAK! :open_mouth: :unamused: :grimacing: easy! :sunglasses:

Working day is defined by your rest period.
In 24 hour period, 11 hour daily rest required.
May be reduced to 9 three times a week.
If you split rest, minimum 3 hours then 9 hours within the 24 hour period it dont count as a reduced rest.

Clear as mud.

Fatboy slimslow:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Does rest count as rest and not break as in I could technically do a 15 hour working day plus 3 hours uninterrupted rest in between?? Or should it be a 12 hour working day plus 3 hours rest equaling a total of a 15 hour day ■■? Cheers.

3 hours uninterrupted rest in a 15 or 13 hour shift, 9 hours off pal! Don’t forget your 45 min BREAK! :open_mouth: :unamused: :grimacing: easy! :sunglasses:

Would the 45 min break be included in the 3 hour rest?

FarnboroughBoy11:
Does rest count as rest and not break as in I could technically do a 15 hour working day plus 3 hours uninterrupted rest in between??
Or should it be a 12 hour working day plus 3 hours rest equaling a total of a 15 hour day ■■?
Cheers.

The 3 hours must be continuous and will form part of a max 15 hr spreadover.

ROG:

Fatboy slimslow:

FarnboroughBoy11:

not for me rog! :sunglasses: Rest and break are two different things! :laughing: paid by the hour :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Loud and clear, cheers fellas.

I found the answer to my question - I think

Article 7
After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall
take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes,
unless he takes a rest period.

As it does not state full, reduced or split then that must mean any rest period … yes?

ROG:

Article 7

As it does not state full, reduced or split then that must mean any rest period … yes?

Sounds good to me :smiley:

ROG:

Article 7

Correct, but if he takes a rest period it’s normally your second 4.5 hours drive whilst getting ready to jib from work ASAP! :sunglasses: or uninterrupted break of 45 mins! Two words again rog! :open_mouth: break and rest! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

As it seems both reset the 4.5 period then it makes no odds which is used from the way it is worded

Besides that, the 3 hour break does not turn into a 3 hour split rest period until the 9 hour rest has been done so it would reset the driving time before the 9 hour rest was even started

A driver cannot go back in time and take an extra 45 mins

Fatboy slimslow:

ROG:

Fatboy slimslow:

FarnboroughBoy11:

not for me rog! :sunglasses: Rest and break are two different things! :laughing: paid by the hour :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

More importantly how does your boss see your approach to this, or do you not take split daily rests?

Before the last change to the rules the period(s) which made up the shorter part of the split daily rest had to be in addition to any breaks required from driving. Since the change in April 2007 the 3 hour period which makes up the first part of a split daily rest can also be used as a driving break. Obviously to be used as both it will have to meet the requirements of a rest period and not just those for break.

Coffeeholic:
Before the last change to the rules the period(s) which made up the shorter part of the split daily rest had to be in addition to any breaks required from driving. Since the change in April 2007 the 3 hour period which makes up the first part of a split daily rest can also be used as a driving break. Obviously to be used as both it will have to meet the requirements of a rest period and not just those for break.

Thank you Neil

I knew there was something somewhere that prevented both being used at once but could not remember where I saw it

I believe it was in the AETR regs before they changed in 2010 ■■?