Split coupling...

can someone explain exactly what this is. Plenty of people mention it but no one seems to explain it.

thanks

hi this is done when you have a fridge and you are unable to connect your airlines on a lot of trailers the connectors slide over so you can reach them so you don’t have to split couple

robf1234:
hi this is done when you have a fridge and you are unable to connect your airlines on a lot of trailers slide the connectors over so you can reach them so you don’t have to split couple

As in connecting airlines before you have connected to the trailer?

Making sense now

There’s a thread here about split coupling.

Basically some trailers are so close coupled that it’s difficult to get in to connect the airlines ec’t, so you split couple.

Some companies don’t allow split coupling, but even where you are allowed you should be careful because done without proper care and know-how split coupling can be dangerous.

Most supermarket companies require split coupling naturally because of the fridges on the trailers.

Tarrman:
Most supermarket companies require split coupling naturally because of the fridges on the trailers.

Did a bit for Sainsburys a while back and they had the mavis rail,stand at the side of the front of the fridge,pull out said rail that has the connections on and couple up.Very good/safe idea.

That’s a very good feature, although I’ve only ever seen it on the Internet. I’m not expert but if split coupling is done right then it can be safe, not just by making sure the trailer brake is on but also by raising the units suspension right up (idea being that the trailer will only ever roll back), and by putting the clip in first before doing the tug test ensures that you should be able to see (by not being able to put the clip in) that the king pin has engaged properly.

That’s from my recent experience anyways lol