Split breaks,ferry crossings?

Asking this on behalf of a mate,he started his shift at 6.15am monday and ended up in dover at 7pm,he was booked on the dover dunquerke sailing at 10pm,so if he started his break at 7pm he would have had say 3hours break before getting on the boat,then a 2 hour crossing,how long a break does he need to take once off the ferry?

6 hours. He needs 11. Now your going o get people saying that crossing doesn’t count because he dosent have access to a bunk but in reality if I’m pushed for time I split breaks on Dover Calais as do many and in the many any times I’ve been pulled by the V men I’ve never been told off for it.

He can’t board the ferry as by the time he gets off he will be beyond the maximum 15 hour ‘spreadover’ allowed by taking a 9 hour daily rest. It will be well after midnight by the time he disembarks and parks up, over 18 hours since he started work that day when the maximum amount of time allowed between starting work and clocking off is 15 hours. He [zb]'ed up by booking on that ferry and if he gets stopped he could be deep in the crap, insufficient daily rest and way too much driving will be just two of the infringements. When you don’t take a proper daily rest then the driving time for the two days will be added together which could come to 18 to 20 hours driving, if he is running maximum driving time, with insufficient rest and that’s a big fine.

If he had caught an earlier ferry it would still be 9 hours, if he has one available or does get at least 3 hours on rest before boarding. You cannot use the interrupted rest option on that crossing as you must have access to a bunk or couchette for all parts of the rest. And no, those reclining seats/bench things don’t count as a couchette or bunk.

The other problem is that even if you could use it, or he chances it in the hope he gets an enforcement officer who is a bit dim, he doesn’t have enough time available for the two interruptions. He started at 06:15 and was parked by 19:00 which only leaves him 15 minutes total for both interruptions, as the 11 hours total rest still has to be completed by 06:15 on Tuesday morning, and I don’t believe it would be possible to board then later disembark and get to a parking space in just 15 minutes on that crossing. Using the interrupted rest option doesn’t alter the normal conditions for daily rest periods, 9 or 11 hours within 24 hours of commencing work.

The only legal option in that situation was for him to park up, take 9 hours rest assuming he has one available and then make the crossing.

switchlogic:
Now your going o get people saying that crossing doesn’t count because he dosent have access to a bunk

Me!!! :wink: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

switchlogic:
but in reality if I’m pushed for time I split breaks on Dover Calais as do many and in the many any times I’ve been pulled by the V men I’ve never been told off for it.

Yet we have had posts on here from people complaining the French and Belgians don’t understand the interrupted rest thing after they have received tasty fines for using it on those crossings when it’s not them who are having understanding problems. You pays your money and takes your chance.

stop in the truck :laughing: :laughing:

lee hawke:

You can’t get away with that on the train, they watch you :laughing:

lee hawke:

Wouldn’t have worked on this crossing as he still wouldn’t have had enough time for the movements.