Split box gear box

hi all i’m currently driving a rental truck which is a 58 plate Renault it has 16 gears 4 over 4 with half gears also. its a 26ton rigid

I’m some times having difficulty when dropping from high range to the low range ‘‘1.2.3.4’’ when i’m in 5th and i flick the switch and then try to select 4th or some times 2nd when stopping at a roundabout i just cannot get into the gear its like stuck in the high range so i end up re engaging the high range banging it in 5th and trying to pull away… slowly OR flick up to high range and then back down again and then being able to find the gear… It feels like the 2nd gear is just not there… or i find some where for what i think is 4th but end up in 8th which is not good when half way over a roundabout not going anywhere

Im just wondering if im doing something wrong is there a trick■■? should i be flicking the switch when in N or while still in gear or anything like that am i missing something? when in the range the actual gears dont feel to bad for a truck with 500’000km on the clock its just the range selector that feels crap it does not do it all the time but when it does it sort of catches you off guard and i feel is a little dangerous

thanks for any tips !!!

flick range change switch before you need it then change gear a couple of seconds or more later

the range will not change until the stick goes into neutral area

ROG:
flick range change switch before you need it then change gear a couple of seconds or more later

the range will not change until the stick goes into neutral area

perhaps i’m rushing it then■■?

You probably are which is why I suggest pre-empting the range change by flicking the switch early

Move range switch - put hand back on wheel - change gear

When I got my first truck I had the same,because A) I was rushing it and B) I didn’t understand it. It doesn’t like to be rushed.
Flick the switch-go into neutral-listen for the clunk-carry on :smiley:

At least you can get a gear , If I rush my MAN auto box from forward to reverse it just goes to neutral and beeps at me usually when I’m trying to back in some where with lots of on lookers and cars wanting to get by :blush:

A 4 over 4 doesn’t like to be rushed. When changing ranges, flick the switch then drop it into N. It should make a hiss or clunk and you’ll see the readout change on the dash. If you rush then you’ll get a box of neutrals.

thanks all i’ll take more note on what i’m doing on good changes and what doesn’t work so well. reading your comments i think its because im flicking switch and then trying to find 4th / 2nd too quickly