Speeds & Hours

Thanks for all your answers already. I just have a few more questions as I don’t know where to look for the answers

Speeds:

What were the speed limits? and what are they now?
According to the gov website the 7.5 ton trucks have the same speed limits as the 3.5 ton ones (70mph on the motorways). Is this right? or am I reading it wrong?
Also if the speed limits have changed will the speed limiters fitted to the trucks be adjusted to fit the new speed limits?

Hours:

I know a little about taco hours but from the little bits I’ve read in the different topics I’m still not really any the wiser.
What are the rules? or where could I find them?

Thanks

TheTrogFather:
What were the speed limits? and what are they now?

LGVs over 7.5 GVW were
40 single
50 dual
60 mway
NOW are
50 single
60 dual and mway

TheTrogFather:
According to the gov website the 7.5 ton trucks have the same speed limits as the 3.5 ton ones (70mph on the motorways). Is this right?

3.5 to 7.5 are all LGV C1 so that is correct

TheTrogFather:
Also if the speed limits have changed will the speed limiters fitted to the trucks be adjusted to fit the new speed limits?

No the max for a limiter will stay at 56

TheTrogFather:
I know a little about taco hours but from the little bits I’ve read in the different topics I’m still not really any the wiser.What are the rules? or where could I find them?

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

7.5 ton & above-
Single carriageway, old 40, new 50
Duel carriageway, old 50, new 60
Motorways, old 60, new 60 (same)

You must be reading it wrong, 7.5t trucks are in the same speed category as HGVs, can’t use the outside lane either, speed limiters are set up to 56 mph (some less/company decision)

Here’s the government link to hours, have fun [emoji42]
gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

Bloody hell Rog, you just beat me to that. [emoji1]

martinviking:
You must be reading it wrong, 7.5t trucks are in the same speed category as HGVs,

No they are not. The Motorway speed limit for a 7.5T truck is 70mph, while it is 60mph for anything heavier. And yes, I know the majority of 7.5T trucks are already fitted with 56mph limiters, but a significant number are not. Even so, it would still be quite legal to allow a limited 7.5T truck to roll on to 70mph on a downhill stretch of Motorway. Also, a 7.5T truck which is not required to be fitted with a limiter is permitted to use the offside lane of a 3 (or more) lane Motorway.

Roymondo:

martinviking:
You must be reading it wrong, 7.5t trucks are in the same speed category as HGVs,

No they are not. The Motorway speed limit for a 7.5T truck is 70mph, while it is 60mph for anything heavier. And yes, I know the majority of 7.5T trucks are already fitted with 56mph limiters, but a significant number are not. Even so, it would still be quite legal to allow a limited 7.5T truck to roll on to 70mph on a downhill stretch of Motorway. Also, a 7.5T truck which is not required to be fitted with a limiter is permitted to use the offside lane of a 3 (or more) lane Motorway.

Ok, hands up, my bad.

Thanks guys… that’s a whole lot clearer now

TheTrogFather:

If not sure on any aspect of the regs then ask - better than getting into hot water

Roymondo:

martinviking:

That explains that little 7.5t zipping past me the other week.

The new speed limits are in England and Wales only , Scotland remains as it was.

Roymondo:

martinviking:

New to me. Every 7.5t I’ve driven has been limited… Does this mean a 5t panel van (say, an Iveco daily), does not need a limiter? But instead is limited 50/60/70?

No. Anything over 3.5 tonnes is subject to the regs. But they were phased in so that older vehicles ended up exempt. You shouldn’t, for instance, get a 12 plate 7.5 tearing past you.

Just out of interest, the reason that the speed limiter settings and the speed limits don’t tally is that speed limiters are EU regs whereas speed limits are UK. But remember the old limits for LGV apply in Scotland.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
No. Anything over 3.5 tonnes is subject to the regs. But they were phased in so that older vehicles ended up exempt. You shouldn’t, for instance, get a 12 plate 7.5 tearing past you.

Just to add to the complication, a lot of 7.5 tonners that could have been exempt were built with limiters fitted because otherwise they would have been restricted to use only within the UK.

ROG:

TheTrogFather:

If not sure on any aspect of the regs then ask - better than getting into hot water

Thanks mate. I can foresee myself back here quite a bit even after I’ve passed

Is it just me or do the people making the laws really know what their doing? Or are they just egar to fine unsuspecting lemmings? :unamused: