Speeding

Afternoon all.
I have a quick question that hopefully someone will be able to answer. I may have been caught speeding on the west bound A303. It was on a dual carriage way section with a central reservation so the limit is 50mph. I was coasting down hill and was doing 55-56mph. At the bottom of the hill was a unmarked police car In a lay by with a speed gun. Now I never saw the gun and I didn’t see it pointed at me.

The question I have is can I be done if I’m clocked by the copper with a speed gun if I’m not pulled over afterwards? Is it the case that only a speed camera, camera van or being pulled over with result In being caught?

Cheers

You will be fine. If he had wanted to stop you he would have. Crack on drive…And slow down! :smiley:

Toonarmy:
The question I have is can I be done if I’m clocked by the copper with a speed gun if I’m not pulled over afterwards?

In theory yes although they’d prefer to do it at the time as it makes it easier as regards paperwork and ID of the driver. It sounds like you’ll be fine in this case but that’s just my opinion.

If you thought that your speed was 55-56 mph then probably you were going 54-55 mph as most speedos are rated slightly over what your’e actually doing so i would have thought you’d be fine, but a word of warning the A303 is quite notorious for police with their guns as it’s a relatively easy target in places for lorries and cars.

If room in layby then I would say they would have directed you into it

unless he caught you and you get a ticket in the post within 14 days.

I read a lot of folk writing about speedo error and I’d completely agree if it was a car/motorcycle etc, but I was under the impression that our speedo’s were calibrated instruments (like in traffic cars) so speedo error won’t wash when talking about HGV’s. I do stand to be corrected however.

If it was a traffic car, they would have dealt with it there and then. If it was a camera van, then you’ll find out in 14 days.

the maoster:
I read a lot of folk writing about speedo error and I’d completely agree if it was a car/motorcycle etc, but I was under the impression that our speedo’s were calibrated instruments (like in traffic cars) so speedo error won’t wash when talking about HGV’s. I do stand to be corrected however.

I agree, lgv speedos are calibrated to give an accurate reading, unlike cars, etc which can read up to 10% below the actual speed indicated.

the maoster:

As far as I understand tachographs are more accurate than a car speedo, but there is an allowable percentage as a margin for error, you have to allow for tyre wear etc. I seem to recall it being something like 6% in service and 2% when calibrated. Where as a car could be something like 10% out and normally they’re set to read higher than the actual speed.

you say you didnt see the speed gun so how dyou know it was what it was

Toonarmy:
At the bottom of the hill was a unmarked police car In a lay by with a speed gun. Now I never saw the gun and I didn’t see it pointed at me.

Is it trolls, auto post or forum boosting?

Whatever, it’s becoming tedious.

Hiya i think he was after some fast cars he could really get a grip on like the 100+club.
John

Toonarmy:
The question I have is can I be done if I’m clocked by the copper with a speed gun if I’m not pulled over afterwards? Is it the case that only a speed camera, camera van or being pulled over with result In being caught?

Cheers

Yes you can be. The notice has to arrive within 14 days to the registered keeper so that’ll be the boss. He will then send it back saying you were driving so it’ll get sent to you so the 14 day rule does not apply to you.

As someone else has pointed out, wagon speedos are more accurate than cars. A wagon speedo has to be calibrated to 2.5% unlike a car which is up to 10%. ACPO guidelines for prosecuting allow for 10%+2MPH so a true 56MPH would be just within the 50MPH + 10% + 2MPH HOWEVER the ACPO guidelines are just that, a guideline and you can technically be prosecuted for 51MPH.

At 55MPH I would imagine you may be offered a speed awareness course.

If it was a traffic car and not a camera van. If he didn’t pull you you’re golden. If it’s a camera van then you’ll likely get a FPN or be offered speed awareness.

Speedo’s in LGV’s aren’t calibrated, it’s the limiter that is.

I think you will probably be safe, he was more likely interested in big speeders as mentioned above, cars and bikes well above the limit.

:

The tachograph/speedo is not only calibrated, it has to have a calibration check every 2 years and a calibration sticker put on the back of the speedo head. Before you say they’re separate units, for the purposes of the calibration test they are treated as one, i.e what the tachograph registers must tally with what is displayed on the speedometer.

Speed limiters aren’t checked for calibration post manufacture.

Conor:

:

The tachograph/speedo is not only calibrated, it has to have a calibration check every 2 years and a calibration sticker put on the back of the speedo head. Before you say they’re separate units, for the purposes of the calibration test they are treated as one, i.e what the tachograph registers must tally with what is displayed on the speedometer.

Speed limiters aren’t checked for calibration post manufacture.

Fair enough I’ve never seen it on newer units that don’t have the tacho behind the speedo so didn’t know that was still the case. All I’ve seen are limiter calibration (usually on a window on the drivers side) or a Tacho Calibration (usually in the drivers door jam).

Can’t remeber the last time I had a Tacho behind the speedo!

Toonarmy:
Afternoon all.
I have a quick question that hopefully someone will be able to answer. I may have been caught speeding on the west bound A303. It was on a dual carriage way section with a central reservation so the limit is 50mph. I was coasting down hill and was doing 55-56mph. At the bottom of the hill was a unmarked police car In a lay by with a speed gun. Now I never saw the gun and I didn’t see it pointed at me.

Cheers

Hmm it appears you are having the same issues finding the brake pedal as you where finding your 24volt socket (according to your last two posts). Sure you will be fine but a refresher course on speed limits vs speed targets might be in order. :wink:

Bugger just noticed I’m doing 46 in a 40 I really should’t use Tapatalk whilst on the move…