Speeding on the tacho!

Has anybody been prosecuted for speeding ,just by looking at your tacho? :unamused: :unamused:

During a cpc course the discussion was that you can,t be prosecuted ! By the police as they don,t know what type of road you were on at the time -single carrage way -dual-motor way!!! :unamused:

This was the trainer talking :open_mouth:

I,m pretty sure if your on a single carrageway road doing 56mph ,you get stopped by the police they look at the tacho ,it confirms doing 56mph in a 40mph limit that you could be prosecuted!! :angry: :stuck_out_tongue:

Any body had any experience of this good or bad! :open_mouth:

I’m pretty shaw that a tacho can only be used as secondary evidence in the case of speeding

My understanding is that it could be used in the event of an accident at a the time of the incident.

Only had a microlise warning thing to sign (think thats what its called) for doing 54 in a 50.
Probably if an accident tacho evidence could be used against you but not sure and can’t be arsed to Google it.

The next week I got caught out on the M5 on cruise control speedo showed 70mph, only realised when the overspeed warning came on. I may be able to blame it on being distracted pouring a cup of Tea from me flask.

I’m pretty sure you can’t be procecuted for speeding just from a tachgraph record, but haulage companies and drivers have been hauled in front of the TC up for speeding from tacho evidence. Normally it’s when their base is many miles from a dual carriageway or motorway and there is regular evidence of exceeding the speed limit on local roads round their operating centre.

I was told they’ll only look at the head if you were to contest a speeding fine, or were involved in an accident

NOVE:
I was told they’ll only look at the head if you were to contest a speeding fine, or were involved in an accident

The info on the disc can initially only be used as an indication and not as evidence. If the authorities wish to use the disc as evidence (more usually in the case of fatal RTA’s), then the disc has to be expertly analysed and the vehicle calibrated, to check that what is on the disc is accurate, or not.

My understanding is that you won’t be prosecuted for speeding solely on the evidence of a tachograph reading, however it can be be used as supportive evidence in prosecutions after and accident, and has been on many occasions.

tachograph:
My understanding is that you won’t be prosecuted for speeding solely on the evidence of a tachograph reading, however it can be be used as supportive evidence in prosecutions after and accident, and has been on many occasions.

I think one company had a warning from a TC as the drivers were flat out from leaving the depot with no DC or MW within 50 miles or something of the operating base

nick2008:

tachograph:

I think one company had a warning from a TC as the drivers were flat out from leaving the depot with no DC or MW within 50 miles or something of the operating base

Sounds like my base, a few of our lads are flat to the mat, we’ve never been told to keep to 40.

I’ve had 75 out of a 7.5 once and vosa never said anything on a stop two days later.
how long does the head store detailed speed data for?

jobseeker:
I’ve had 75 out of a 7.5 once and vosa never said anything on a stop two days later.

I know someone :grimacing: who had more than that coming down the M62 at 44t

NewLad:

jobseeker:

I know someone :grimacing: who had more than that coming down the M62 at 44t

I’ve seen irish wagons doing more than that on the flat! :open_mouth: