Speeding Laws Set to be Relaxed

Quote, courtesy of AOL News:

SPEEDING law changes that could spare thousands of drivers from bans have been signalled by the Home Secretary, David Blunkett.

Penalty points could be cut from three to two for minor infringements, according to The Times.

The Transport Secretary, Alistair Darling, agrees that a “sophisticated” approach is needed, Mr Blunkett told the paper.

“It should not be beyond us,” he said.

The plans come after Conservatives called for points to be axed on all but the most dangerous stretches of road.

Motoring organisations then warned changes could send out “mixed messages”.

At present, speeding drivers receive at least a £60 fine and three points.

They are disqualified from driving when they reach 12 points.

The shadow transport secretary, Damian Green, said those caught by 3,500 cameras around Britain should not receive points.

He argued that points should only apply in areas where the risk of death was greatest, covered by around 1,000 cameras.

The penalties for those breaking the limits near schools or in areas with high numbers of pedestrians should also be increased, Mr Green said.

Ministers are concerned about being outflanked by the Tories, who see drivers as a natural support base and are deliberately targeting them with car-friendly policies.

the cynics among us might say that it is a way of getting more money from the motorist as you need more convictions before you get a ban therefore they can fine you more times before you add up enough to get a ban & as you need more convictions it will be harder to get a ban within the statutory limit of the points (currently 3 years) ie the amount of time the points on your licence can be added together for banning purposes it gives them more oppertunity to keep the fines rolling in :cry:

Mmm, very valid thought there North Surry… Didnt think of it like that… :unamused: :unamused:

its just not british is it andy? lol

Nope… :laughing: :laughing:

No mixed message there at all is there. If they lower the points for a speeding offence that means they can get 6 lots of fines out of us before we lose our licences.

A complete admission that speed cameras are about revenue an nothing else in my opinion.

Its been said, time and time again… The motorists are the easy targets… so we get hammered… think about how much money is squeezed out of us, day in, day out… and all because we do something called Driving…

Dont make any sense to me, at all…
Now wheres that pushbike■■?..

That didn’t happen then

Seems not.

16-year-old thread revival, must be a record.

Should increase the fines and points not decrease them with tougher penalties for professional drivers who break the rules. It’s just not hard is it. See a speed limit and stick to it. It’s easier than ever now to keep to a speed limit in modern vehicles with cruise control, speed limiters, and sat navs showing gps speed. I’m not saying don’t allow any leeway the 10% +2 or 3mph that most police forces is fair to allow for human error. There is however a difference between human error ie someone going a few miles an hour over for a few seconds and someone doing 10mph over a limit which isn’t error it’s just not caring about the rules.

AndyM:
Its been said, time and time again… The motorists are the easy targets… so we get hammered… think about how much money is squeezed out of us, day in, day out… and all because we do something called Driving…

Who is getting hammered?I’ve had a clean license for 30 years because I stick to the speed limits,everyone is free to do the same…

Sploom:

AndyM:

Who is getting hammered?I’ve had a clean license for 30 years because I stick to the speed limits,everyone is free to do the same…

Is he still getting hammered 16 years later…?