Speeding in Scotland

Hi everyone,

I’m new here but it looks like the place to ask this question.

I’ve recently been spotted driving an artic at 54 mph on a single carriageway section of the A1 at Penmanshiel in Scotland. So far 30 years with a clean licence.

What is the likely outcome of this misdemeanor?

Same as what happened to me.
Take the punishment. I was doing 45 , 5 ov3er limit.

Ringfur what did you get hit with?

30% over the speed limit? Hardly a misdemeanour. But I can see why you would be that far over the limit
But the way the Scottish government are acting these days they will have your license burned in front of you then have you shot at dawn.
Any sensible government would have kept the limits the same throughout the who uk to avoid this sort of misunderstanding and confusion but in there desire to not back down to westminster the SNP would say black was white just because :unamused:

I got 3 points and a fine for doing 55 north of Alnwick but that was 18yrs ago, i had to go to court for it as i already had 9 points on my license :blush: i.ve grown up a bit since then

3 points and a 100 pound fine id reckon!

No speed awareness course is currently run in Scotland.

Spotted by who? 3 points and a FP if you’ve been zapped, at best. The speed limit on single carriageways in Scotland is still 40mph.

I know the punishment in Dumfries & Galloway is 3 points and £100 for upto 59mph, and straight to court for 60mph and over on single carriageway, according to the copper who did me for 59mph.

Lost in France:
Ringfur what did you get hit with?

3 points, i think it was a £40 fine. heres me in the lay-by just above the camera, unknown to me 3 minutes later. snap !
it was about 4 years ago

A few people i know have just ignored the tickets and they have gone away.

Traffic Scotland and the scameras have gone mental plus the fact they have shut down a lot of local courts means large back log.

Was told you get 28 days, but if you don’t pay it then goes to PF, if he is gonna pursue it will offer you another 28 days before taking you to court. A few people i know have never heard anything because TS have gone so over the top with speeding and other things.

On the A9 its 50mph but its still 40 mph on all other single carriageways.I think that you will have an Notice of Intended Prosecution in the post soon.Its at least 3 points and £100.00 also your motor insurance goes up as well.I sometimes think its a poor career choice this driving game.

Yes, I have the NIP (notice of intended prosecution). It says the allegation is supported by photographic and/or DVD evidence.

I haven’t had a good nights sleep since it arrived. :frowning: :frowning:

alamcculloch:
On the A9 its 50mph but its still 40 mph on all other single carriageways.I think that you will have an Notice of Intended Prosecution in the post soon.Its at least 3 points and £100.00 also your motor insurance goes up as well.I sometimes think its a poor career choice this driving game.

Insurance won’t go up that much for just 3 points. I was on 9 points a few years ago and it doubled it.

ringfur:
it was about 4 years ago

Its more than that since POFM dispersed the last of the fleet isn’t it? East coast units were last to go.

£100 and 3 points :frowning:

They will take all you have then hang you,sorry mate.Can I have your job if it pays well.

Kenny1975:
A few people i know have just ignored the tickets and they have gone away.

Was told you get 28 days, but if you don’t pay it then goes to PF, if he is gonna pursue it will offer you another 28 days before taking you to court.

April 1995 I was caught by the Strathclyde Polis steaming into a 30 zone at 46 on the gun. FPN issued. Had 28 days to return FPN and driving licence with cheque. Thought I’d done that, but they never cashed the cheque and I didn’t receive anything back. I wasn’t going to chase it up, so just kept an eye on the account. 4½ months later I got a letter from the PF with the same deal (points/fine/28 days). On the 27th day I telephoned them to see what the story was. They said they had some similar problems of things getting lost and for me to send it in again. Sat quiet for a fortnight and made it over the 6 months limit they had (as I hadn’t moved address and they didn’t seek an extension). So yes, it went away that one - probably helped by the fact that the FPN was to go to Lochgilphead, the letter from the PF originated from Dumbarton and the place of offence, Garelochhead, was in the transition period of being moved from Dunbartonshire District Council to Argyll & Bute Council. :sunglasses:

Back then if it was 20mph or more over the limit then it was straight to court. Still the same I guess?

The-Snowman:
30% over the speed limit? Hardly a misdemeanour. But I can see why you would be that far over the limit
But the way the Scottish government are acting these days they will have your license burned in front of you then have you shot at dawn.
Any sensible government would have kept the limits the same throughout the who uk to avoid this sort of misunderstanding and confusion but in there desire to not back down to westminster the SNP would say black was white just because :unamused:

Ocht you’ll be shot at dawn for disrespecting queen Nicola [emoji6]

happysack:

The-Snowman:

Ocht you’ll be shot at dawn for disrespecting queen Nicola [emoji6]

That poison dwarf needs shooting at dawn

Nowt wrong with Nicola, she is leading Scotland to wealth, justice, prosperity and FREEDOM, just like Willy Wallace did and look where it got him !! :slight_smile: