Speeding in a car- does it affect HGV licence?

Evening all
Just received an NIP for 72 in a 60 limit (3.5T, pick-up, dual carriageway)- no sermons please, and not looking for sympathy either!
Clean licence for 20 + yrs, HGV held since 1987, I live in Scotland and the offence was in Scotland.Done the crime/ pay the fine etc, but does this affect my HGV licence at all (I know the points apply to both)-I know some offences can vary a period on the sidelines ie caught with a mobile etc. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it doesn’t affect your HGV licence. Having said that it’s prudent to inform your (private car) insurance company. They’ll not load your premium for an SP offence, but don’t give them the chance to wriggle out of any future claim.

I would inform your employer as well-just to be on the safe side.

72 in a 60…

Yeeehhaaaa!

About 10yrs ago I was caught in a van doing 97mph on a duel carriageway when 60mph is the limit. Went to court, 0 points, 14 day ban and £250 fine. Never had any contact from the TC. Didn’t really effect my insurance either as no points. Was made a drivers mate at my work for those 2 weeks with the same driver from my town so he could drive me to and from work as well :sunglasses:

I’m sure you’re meant to grass yourself up to the TC if you get done for speeding in your car, although obviously no-one does.

I was under the impression that your employer is required to inform the tc.
Is that a myth?

Thanks all for prompt replies- I can relax a bit more about it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A driver can only have 1 licence, with as many categories as you want. In Scotland there are no speed awareness courses. I think that you can expect a fine as well as points, sadly. You should tell your employer and they should be checking all of their drivers licences on a regular basis.

trevorking1964:
I was under the impression that your employer is required to inform the tc.
Is that a myth?

I believe they are, but also I think its unlikely for a rekstuveky minor one off that anyone will hear from the TC. I got clicked in a truck doing 53 in a 40 (my fault, I thought I’d cleared the 40 bit), so it all went through my employer before coming to me, got offered a speed awareness course, sat it but never heard from TC

Getting points needs to be notified to employer as it may affect the Co insurance, in turn the company - the transport manager must report it to the TC as part of the O licence undertakings.
Speed awareness is not a conviction so doesn’t get reported to TC.

Yes definitely needs to be reported to TC, no myth there.
No speed awareness courses in Scotland
TM’s are going to spot it on a licence check, so no sense in hiding it from them, it’d be a short term gain only, that is if they’re on the ball. If they’re sloppy or you’re not staying, decision is yours to tell or not to tell.

On the plus side, 72 in a 60 is not considered as seriously as 35 in a 30, for obvious reasons

mrginge:
About 10yrs ago I was caught in a van doing 97mph on a duel carriageway when 60mph is the limit. Went to court, 0 points, 14 day ban and £250 fine. Never had any contact from the TC. Didn’t really effect my insurance either as no points. Was made a drivers mate at my work for those 2 weeks with the same driver from my town so he could drive me to and from work as well :sunglasses:

FYI 60mph is still the limit on a DC