Speed limitters

Bit after my time in the motor trade but have not driven a motor with one of these,but to my way of thinking the new proposals of every motor should have one seems stupid.Car driver’s moan because they are behind a lorry when it is overtaking another one which I understand is a problem but surely other things come into play like load weights and axle ratios.Please explain if I’m wrong.I think that this proposal would bring traffic to a standsill.That will annoy the car drivers more.

Tony

Lets just hope if this is brought in that all motors from across the channel have to comply as well as its come from them in the first place, no limiter straight back on a ferry back home no excuses just a nice fat fine, treat them like they do us, Buzzer.

Apparently it might actually mean fewer traffic jams, see the link to a BBC podcast. Science suggests that it is the rapid acceleration/deceleration of fast modern cars that causes the “phantom traffic jams” we see these days on motorways. I know in the 70’s and 80’s I never, ever saw a three lane motorway come to a grinding halt in all lanes, unless there was some very solid reason for it.
bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070dkst

viewtopic.php?p=2574994#p2574994

Sent from my mobile.

rastone:
Bit after my time in the motor trade but have not driven a motor with one of these,but to my way of thinking the new proposals of every motor should have one seems stupid.Car driver’s moan because they are behind a lorry when it is overtaking another one which I understand is a problem but surely other things come into play like load weights and axle ratios.Please explain if I’m wrong.I think that this proposal would bring traffic to a standsill.That will annoy the car drivers more.
Tony

Morning Tony,
I have heard the max speed proposal would be 80 mph,
Like a truck it would simply mean the car could not go faster than 80, all the power remains in all the gears, simply top road speed is controled.
Most modern trucks today have a button that will set the truck to whatever speed you are doing when you press the button, so when you are in a 30 mph zone you can bring your truck up to 30, press the button and thats it, you have set your road speed to 30 get on with your driving knowing you cant break the law, stop ,start drive arround in all gears but max speed 30 till you disconect.
You can do this at any speed, so imagine it all being done automaticly for you as you enter the speed restricted area. hope this is of help. Harvey

:smiley:

In the olden days yer right foot was speed limiter. :laughing: :laughing:

I can see why some would think this Europe wide measure a good idea. I just think of the day someone would need to get an injured or seriously ill person to hospital and road conditions would allow high speeds but your vehicle will not…

I used to teach drivers on armoured vehicles. I used to say that speed is not a problem. But inappropriate speed is. 100 on a wide open road, reading the road conditions and adjusting speed as necessary, is OK. 100, even 50, down the high street is madness. Thus I would prefer stricter training and punishments.

Dipster:
I can see why some would think this Europe wide measure a good idea. I just think of the day someone would need to get an injured or seriously ill person to hospital and road conditions would allow high speeds but your vehicle will not…

I used to teach drivers on armoured vehicles. I used to say that speed is not a problem. But inappropriate speed is. 100 on a wide open road, reading the road conditions and adjusting speed as necessary, is OK. 100, even 50, down the high street is madness. Thus I would prefer stricter training and punishments.

Yes I’ve thought about that.If all " normal" road users were on the speed limitter max then there would be some hold ups.Mind you it would keep the waiting times down in hospitals.Not a very nice thing to say really.I don’t know if you agree but poloticians ( no matter what side you are on)seem to be put into jobs they know bugger all about but just keep nodding their heads. Good few years ago I was at the Commercial Show and Peter Shaw was the Labour Minister and he just happened to be on the Dormobile Stand ( some of you may not remember them ) who did all sorts of conversions on various vehicle manufactures.The Bedford Dormobile was a well Known conversion.Anyway I knew the rep.quite well and he asked them what engines did they use.Forget you people sitting on their green seats and get in the passenger seat with the ropes and bits for a week.A haulauge customer of mine Jack Pattinson of from Uttoxeter said to a person " You get more education than University Here !!" Mind you Ford had a course on commercial Vehicles I was a Ford Truck Consultant!!! One good thing though being one of those we did have a weekend in Lugarno
Sorry about the spelling but u forgett wen you are using these things lik internet.
The next day Peter Shaw was moved during a cabinet reshuffle. We didn’t know what speed limitters then.Only all speed governers.Now that’s a head nodding subject Mr Shaw