Speed Limits For Weights..?

I keep getting the national speed limits wrong for different weight classes and wondered if anyone can point out an easier way to remember them…?

You are driving a 38 tonnes lorry on a single carriageway road. You see this sign. (National speed limit sign) You may drive at up to…? Is it 40mph…?

Thanks for any help I just can’t ever seem to remember all the national speed limit speeds per weight. Doh! :blush:

Wrams:
I keep getting the national speed limits wrong for different weight classes and wondered if anyone can point out an easier way to remember them…?

You are driving a 38 tonnes lorry on a single carriageway road. You see this sign. (National speed limit sign) You may drive at up to…? Is it 40mph…?

Thanks for any help I just can’t ever seem to remember all the national speed limit speeds per weight. Doh! :blush:

There are only two speed limits to remember on anything above 7.5 tonne. 40 on singles, 50 on dual carriageways, even in a NSL the limit is dictated by the type of road. If there are no NSL signs or any other limit posted, the limit is 30mph for everything else. Streetlights dictate 30mph too.

60mph on motorways,

Thanks Wheel Nut and ROG :wink:

Its Ok ROG emailed me the same answer :smiley:

Thanks guys for your help your stars :laughing:

Theory wednesday at 9.30 so getting in as much practice as I can over the next 2 days. :smiley: then thursday at 12.30 I have an hours assessment driving which I’ll let you guys know how I got on.

The website DrivingTheory4All is absolutely fantastic and has a mock test section and I just got 97% out of 100 questions. The speed questions are what I got wrong :frowning:

For HGV’s, I remember it as 40, 50, 60. ie 40 single carriageways, 50 Duals and 60 Motorways. obviously only if a lower limit isn’t in force.
Cars <2t 60, 70, 70
Vans <7.5t 50, 60, 70
Cars with wobbleboxes 50, 60, 60

MADBAZ:
For HGV’s, I remember it as 40, 50, 60. ie 40 single carriageways, 50 Duals and 60 Motorways. obviously only if a lower limit isn’t in force.
Cars <2t 60, 70, 70
Vans <7.5t 50, 60, 70
Cars with wobbleboxes 50, 60, 60

The Highway Code - General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158) - Guidance - GOV.UK

Thank you for your help. Those are the only ones I got wrong but still I’ll soon learn them :wink:

Looks like loads of people beat me to it but here’s how I remembered it.

4 classes of road
town
single carriageway
dual carriageway
motorway

over 7.5 tonne the limits are 30,40,50,60 it’s a simple sequence

under 7.5 tonne you get an extra ten mph on everything but town (30),50,60,70

cars you get 10 more (except the town) (30),60,70,80*
*Not really 80, but it keeps the remembering simple

I don’t think there were any questions with coaches or trailers so I ignored them.

So it’s 30mph +10mph to go up a class of road +10mph to go down a class of vehicle
(except for the towns)

Any use to you?

Mate its perfect and I can make good use of all your help and hopefully remember it all :smiley: I should do :stuck_out_tongue:

This chart was online at directgov.uk :slight_smile:

Goods vehicles (not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
Built-up areas = 30 (48)
Single carriage = 50 (80)
Dual carriage = 60 (96)
Motorways = 70 (112)

Goods vehicles (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
Built-up areas = 30 (48)
Single carriage = 40 (64)
Dual carriage = 50 (80)
Motorways = 60 (96)

This question should not really be on a professional drivers forum, this is moped CBT stuff.

Wheel Nut:
This question should not really be on a professional drivers forum, this is moped CBT stuff.

I know what you mean but to be fare this is the newbie forum :wink:

Just as well to or we’d all be slating the OP :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason I asked the question was because I kept getting it mixed up. Its also a section for ‘Wannabe and Newbie’ LGV drivers. I only started this a few weeks ago and practicing theory about 6 days ago at most.

Wrams:
Built-up areas = 30 (48)

To clarify you can still do 40 in this class of vehicle where signposted in a built up area.

mrpj:

Wrams:
Built-up areas = 30 (48)

To clarify you can still do 40 in this class of vehicle where signposted in a built up area.

Thank you :wink: