speed limiters

how come when i am tootling along on cruise control at 55 so many new lorrys come flying past , remember before speed limiters i used to go along at around 62 ( volvo f12) and most other drivers did the same there was only a minority who used to really fly, and the job was done a lot safer with not so much tailgating and if you needed to get past a slower vehicle it was done in no time at all, not like today when you spend ages side by side, trying to pass each other, as the speed limit on motorways is 60 why limit trucks to 55 is this a case for infringment of our civil libertys?? being forced to do less than the law allows, on the note of vehicles passing each other if you are struggling to pass me i will just dab the exhaust brake to let you in but do you ralise what this does to fuel economy,? oh life was much easier then :wink: :wink:

Guess you do night work then where speed limiters don’t exist on wagons except your own. Overnight parcel company wagons seemingly don’t come under speed limiter laws. I will always ease off a few mph to let a slightly faster wagon get past in minimal time out of pure courtesy. He’s going faster than you so why hold him up :question:

I Was out in a 12 tonner on Friday night and the Limiter Label on the Window clearly stated 96kmh and true to it’s word it did 60 mph on the Motorway section of the A1

Now I thought it was 90kmh on anything above 7.5 ton?

I would say these people must pull fuse [zb] as that is the most comon speed limiter fuse :laughing:

My truck has a limiter, it used to be set at 80mph but I had it turned down to 75mph in March :laughing:

EDITED. Sorry but TruckNet cannot be seen to be providing information to enable people to break the law. Coffeeholic.

Pat Hasler:
I would say these people must pull fuse number [zb] as that is the most comon speed limiter fuse :laughing:

It depends on the make over here Pat :smiley: , on Scannies it [zb] (if I remember right :laughing: )

EDITED. As above. Coffeeholic

Simon:

Pat Hasler:
I would say these people must pull fuse [zb] as that is the most comon speed limiter fuse :laughing:

It depends on the make over here Pat :smiley: , on Scannies it [zb] (if I remember right :laughing: )

You used to be able to [zb]:lol:

EDITED. As above. Coffeeholic

Davey Driver:

driving goods vehicles - the official DSA syllabus:
Speed Limiters
UK legislation
LGVs must be fitted with a speed limiter if they’re…over 7.5 tonnes MAM and first registered on or after 1 August 1992…

Speed limiters must be set so that the vehicle can’t exceed a maximum powered speed of 96.5 km/h (60 mph)

EC legislation
LGVs must be fitted with a speed limiter if they’re…over 12 tonnes MAM and first registered on or after 1 January 1988…

Speed limiters must be set at 85 km/h (56 mph)

HTH…

why is it then if the limit is 60 we are only allowed to do 56 .the reason a lot of european motors pass us is because as you climb out of dover there are signs saying hgvs 60 mph and someone told me that spanish motors can run at 60 if they have A B S on the back due to having better braking system. :laughing: :laughing:

What is interesting,is that 85km/h,equates to 53 mph.90km/h is 56mph.So how do they work that one out then?

Ken.

This is a link from the safespeed website, who on their forums now have a sticky link to this website.

makes good reading.

safespeed.org.uk/hgv40.html

Quinny:

What is interesting,is that 85km/h,equates to 53 mph.90km/h is 56mph.So how do they work that one out then?

Ken.

I think there’s something in the legislation which says that the limiter must be set at 85kph within a tolerance band (e.g. +/- 5 km/h). That band extends up to 56 mph.

From next year 2005, all goods vehicles > 3.5 tons must have have speed limiter set in such a way that the speed cannot exceed 90 km/h (56 mph)

MrFlibble:

Davey Driver:

driving goods vehicles - the official DSA syllabus:
Speed Limiters
UK legislation
LGVs must be fitted with a speed limiter if they’re…over 7.5 tonnes MAM and first registered on or after 1 August 1992…

Speed limiters must be set so that the vehicle can’t exceed a maximum powered speed of 96.5 km/h (60 mph)

EC legislation
LGVs must be fitted with a speed limiter if they’re…over 12 tonnes MAM and first registered on or after 1 January 1988…

HTH…

The M.a.n. I drove was an 03 plate, but the point being, if 60mph or 96.5 is acceptable, then Why set them to 85?

There’s a definite descrepency against the Uk legislation when compared to the EC :angry: :angry:

So why dont authorised Tachograph centres use the UK Legislation?

Pat Hasler:

My truck has a limiter, it used to be set at 80mph but I had it turned down to 75mph in March :laughing:

EDITED. Sorry but TruckNet cannot be seen to be providing information to enable people to break the law. Coffeeholic.

what is the legal speed limit over there pat ■■

Apparently we have to go by EC rules for stuff like insurance purposes. After all we are supposed to be adopting the same rules Europewide. If you drive a vehicle limited at 60 in France you’ll get prosecuted if caught.

oddsodz:

Pat Hasler:

what is the legal speed limit over there pat ■■

In some states, yes ! 75 mph on interstates. It is usualy 65mph but I’ve never been questioned or seen or heard of any truck driver being questioned for doing 75 or under. I have gone through speed checks, passed and run along side state troopers at 74mph many a time. It is Sherrifs and local cops who are picky, butmost will tell you that they allow up to 10 mph over the limit. :sunglasses:

But the speed limit in Europe is generally less than the UK

80km is the norm on most routes with variables for fog, rain or bad visibility.

Germany has too many no overtaking bans
France will do you for speeding off the card
Belgium make the rules up as they go along.

The original limiters were set at 90km then the latest trucks setting is 85.

Some fascinating information on this link, but go to graph No 6 and look at the stats for HGVs.

safespeed.org.uk/serious2.html

I find this graph and the trend it indicates very worrying indeed.

daveb0789:
From next year 2005, all goods vehicles > 3.5 tons must have have speed limiter set in such a way that the speed cannot exceed 90 km/h (56 mph)

It really is getting ridiculous over there, if you have to have speed limiters, at least set them at a more realistic speed in regards to the rest of the traffic, if cars can do 70 mph why can’t trucks be allowed to do at least 65 mph?

Every time I come home I am shocked at the way the traffic bunchs up on the motorways because of the 56 mph speed limliters on trucks, I have never seen such dangerous scenarios until I started returning home a few years ago, to be honest I don’t see how you all allowed it to happen, seems to me that the more the faceless beaurocrats in Westminster/Brussels regulate your everyday lives the more you seem to want them to! :unamused:

Rob K:
Overnight parcel company wagons seemingly don’t come under speed limiter laws. :question:

Really? Better explain that to Geopost then who were looking to REDUCE theirs another 2KPH.