speed limiters

hi guys
please could some one answer me a question

Is it true that all tractor units have speed limiters fitted limiting them to approx 56mph?

because i was coming from penrith roundabout today going west towards workington in my discovery doing approx 70mph and a scania (L reg) no trailer started to over take me and belive me i was shocked to hell so could some one please explain this as i always thought trucks were fitted with speed limiters

cheers

if you had moved over a bit sooner, I might have got it upto 75mph :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

seriously though, yes they should all have a limiter fitted, perhaps this vehicles was not working properly

All trucks should be limited to 56mph however when limiter stops working I know quite a lot of drivers don’t defect it. If these drivers are ever stopped doing 65 down the motorway I wonder if they would be charged with 2 offences (ie speeding and unroadworthy vehicle).

insert irish joke anywhere in this thread…

beattun:

a ■■■■■ stole mine… :laughing:

beattun:

Ok. Copper pulls an Irish truck up and says to the driver. You are not looking in your mirrors and have no idea what is going on behind you. Irish Trucker says, oh, sure i done that lots of times before but everytime i look in it all i see is me?

Hombre,

Aggresive little chaps them Douanes, I’ve always offered them a handshake & try to speak french to them but they have a rather surly attitude, seems to get worse the less wheels they have on their vehicle :laughing:

Last trip I did was with a flat trailer, took a load of hot tubs down & picked up 2 20ft boxes full of building tools in Alicante, had them craned on with the doors in the middle, this did not please them one bit, when I got pulled at the first peage the bloke was doing his nut, I asked him what the problem was, said I didn’t know what was inside, but whatever is in there will be going to England as there was no way it could come out in France, remarked that they didn’t have a problem sending undesirables to our country so what did it matter if there was anything dodgy in there as it was only transitting France. Total sense of humour failure ensued & they ended up turning my cab out to ■■■■ me off, not so much of a problem for me as i sat on the armco chuckling away to myself while they went through my dirty washing bag inspecting my dirty (well, clean but used) socks & pants! England 1 France 0 :smiling_imp:

thomo1709:
hi guys
please could some one answer me a question

Is it true that all tractor units have speed limiters fitted limiting them to approx 56mph?

because i was coming from penrith roundabout today going west towards workington in my discovery doing approx 70mph and a scania (L reg) no trailer started to over take me and belive me i was shocked to hell so could some one please explain this as i always thought trucks were fitted with speed limiters

cheers

I can’t remember exactly when limiters came in but it would’ve been about an L reg. The laws weren’t applied retrospectively so it’s possible this particular unit wasn’t limited.

I remember many people at the time saying they were never going to buy one of the new trucks so they could avoid limiters in the same way that people today say they won’t buy new so they can avoid digi tachos and adblue. If you want to know how successful that boycott was count how many pre 1993(ish?) trucks you see working for a living.

The limiter came in on an e or f reg,About 1988,89

Tony b

They came in in the latter part of E reg trucks.

I have asked the owner of the aforsaid L reg 143 450 and he admits it can pick its feet up if asked to,but it can,t have been 70 thomo1709,s disco must have been spinning on the patch of ice that the acused driver saw. :smiley:
Plus he was running a bit late. :sunglasses:

:sunglasses: A 41 South of Market Drayton - Hinstock Bank, I`m going South for a second run to Hinckley, 0130 and Icy, doing 40mph ( 65kph ). For those who know the road this section is downhill, one lane down, two lanes up, with double white lines.

In the rearview all I can see is the lightshow from close encounters of the third kind as FIVE Irish platers fly past, and I mean FLY, not that remarkable you say, except for the fact that the lead truck is also being OVERTAKEN by the second truck in a 3 abreast move, QUALITY ! Never the OLD BILL around when you need them. :open_mouth:

What makes you think the Old Bill would have done anything if they had been about Sharky? They’re not interested. They’re pretty good at clearing up after an incident but when it comes to preventing one…forget it.

The speed limiter law has been around for about 20 years now and seeing as no one seems able to enforce it I think it’s about time it was repealed.

sharky the shredder:
In the rearview all I can see is the lightshow from close encounters of the third kind as FIVE Irish platers fly past, and I mean FLY, not that remarkable you say, except for the fact that the lead truck is also being OVERTAKEN by the second truck in a 3 abreast move, QUALITY ! Never the OLD BILL around when you need them. :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: Sounds like fun :laughing:

not so funny if you have just come thru the roadworks and temp lights at the bottom of that bank ,then find yourself with knowhere to go.jesus,3 abreast hahaha.thats18 roof mounted spots on full beam,6 headlights and 6 fogs all blinding you :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,the best time to do that A41northbound is between 23.30 and 0230 and after 04.30,you only get the odd straggler after 04.30.and that arse in a renault traffic van who wont dip.
i like the narrow bit just before the halfway house just past kev and di’s,i feel sorry for culina edwards and grocontinental them boys do a strict 40 and have a load of irish plated lorries on their tails,on the hurry up.

:sunglasses: Cheers for the sympathy, I drive for the larger of the 3 firms, strickly monitored for speed, both via tachos and fleetboard data, besides its just not worth it, ive seen a couple of HGV caused fatals on the 41 from speed, not pretty. :cry:

As for the A41, What a road!! Hardly anywhere to overtake ( and I mean in a car not a Truck ) 1 Camera, supposed to go off for HGVs over 40mph and im sure its broken ( can`t remember last time i saw it flash a Foriegner or Brit at night ) and everyone thinks the run from Chester to the M54 ( or vicky versy ) is the ruddy Nurburgring !! :open_mouth:

that speed camera it works got 3 points on the15/7/05 sp10 £60 not amused , as you know if your coming from whitchurch its about 300 yards from the dual carriageway,oh my speed was 47mph. :angry:
i also got 3 points in 2000 the police were parked at the entrance to the rally school / parachute place just before the long straight heading for midway i was coming from the M54 unit only speed 48 mph not a happy human

Spot on there Phill, the A41 is quality entertainment on a friday night :laughing:

sharky the shredder:
As for the A41, What a road!! Hardly anywhere to overtake ( and I mean in a car not a Truck )

Come on sharky the shredder be fair you can pass anywhere on the whole of the 41 from whitchurch to the 54,
well you must of been blessed with a flyby from them 3 red topliners from “M M” who always seem to run together
and which ever part of the 41 ive been on theyve always passed me with out even easing off
maybe they think its one way :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:sunglasses: Dont get me wrong, dont mind people speeding or overtaking me. As long as im not part of the mess thats created when it all goes pearshaped ! :open_mouth:

Rattlesnake Dave:
What makes you think the Old Bill would have done anything if they had been about Sharky? They’re not interested. They’re pretty good at clearing up after an incident but when it comes to preventing one…forget it.

The speed limiter law has been around for about 20 years now and seeing as no one seems able to enforce it I think it’s about time it was repealed.

I know it was probably said in jest but I would love to see them do a trial, with cameras all over and stricter Tacho analysis speeding should be a lot harder than it was when it was introduced. It would IMO reduce
(1) tailgating
(2) frustration over vehicles stuggling to pass each other
(3) and most importantly, be an aid to drivers not falling asleep, as they would have to watch their speedo, instead of just drifting off. (I know most wagons now have cruise control, so this isn’t necesarily true)
I would love to see them trial it mind, mebbe with a Nightshift supermarket run 1st?