Speed limiter 7.5 tonne legal or not

Drove a Man L2000 Fridge 7.5 tonne Down to bristol today.
sticker on window said speed limiter set at 56 mph / 90 km on the 30 Oct 2006
but i was getting 70 Mph out of it 75 % of the time so it is this legal or not.

david

dparr59:
Drove a Man L2000 Fridge 7.5 tonne Down to bristol today.
sticker on window said speed limiter set at 56 mph / 90 km on the 30 Oct 2006
but i was getting 70 Mph out of it 75 % of the time so it is this legal or not.

david

I’m not sure about the legality, but if its exceeding the limiter set speed then its a defect when you return to the yard. You did fill out a defect to cover your own arse didn’t you?

it depends on the year of registration.
01/10/01 until 31/12/04 with a euro 3 engine then it requires a speed limiter to be set at 90kph as of 01/01/07 however, if it is registered after 01/01/05 and is only used in the uk then it does not require a speed limiter set at 90 kph until 01/01/08 unless it is used on international journeys in which case it does and has done so since 01/01/05.
new regs are very confusing, why they couldn’t just give a simple start date for all is beyond me.

Legal speed for 7.5 tonner on Mway is 70, with or without a speed limiter. Just as the LEGAL speed for LGVs is 60 on a Mway, with or without a working speed limiter. As mentioned by Mike C, if the limiter is not working then a defect must be reported but it is not unsafe or illegal to drive it.

ROG:
Legal speed for 7.5 tonner on Mway is 70, with or without a speed limiter. Just as the LEGAL speed for LGVs is 60 on a Mway, with or without a working speed limiter. As mentioned by Mike C, if the limiter is not working then a defect must be reported but it is not unsafe or illegal to drive it.

I thought the speed limit was changed earlier this year on newer 7.5tonners & thye cant use the 3rd lane anymore?

Darren:

ROG:

I thought the speed limit was changed earlier this year on newer 7.5tonners & they cant use the 3rd lane anymore?

I would need clarification on this point but I think the current ruling is this:
7.5s before a certain date have no speed limiter and are allowed into the outer lane of a Mway with 3 or more lanes.
7.5s after a certain date with speed limiter and are not allowed into the outer lane of a Mway with 3 or more lanes.
DO NOT TAKE THIS AS BEING CORRECT - I WILL TRY TO ASK ELSEWHERE FOR CLARIFICATION

the law is that if your vehicle (be it van,coach or truck) is fitted with a speed limiter that is set to 56mph then you are not allowed in the outside lane of a motorway with 3 or more lanes.
my above post details which vehicles need to be fitted with a speed limiter and set at 56mph now and which will come under the regulations next year.