speed limit

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

villa:
if the central reservation is a grass bank with 2 lanes in both directions and the road has speed limits for 50 or 60 mph
the speed limit is 40 mph (at the moment) for hgvs

The number of lanes is irrelevant, the clue is in the name -dual carriageway - which refers to the number of carriageways not the number of lanes. A dual carriageway can have 1 lane in each direction and a single carriageway could have 2, 3, 4 or more. Two lanes would be a dual lane road not necessarily a dual carriageway.

villa:
it only becomes a dual carriageway when there is a metal barrier dividing the 4 lanes ,not a grass bank

Nonsense, it just has to have physical separation between the carriageways which could be a strip of grass or gravel, just needs to be something more than painted lines. It certainly doesn’t have to be a metal barrier, you also get concrete barriers separating carriageways, or an actual barrier of any kind.

Or in the case of the Dartford Crossing, one carriageway is a bridge and the other one is two tunnels.

Indeed, and separated by water. :smiley:

You know someone is going to come on and say that’s a motorway and not a dual carriageway don’t you? :smiley: They’ll be wrong but they’ll still say it. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

That’s what I was waiting for but as we all know it is the A282.

Not everyone, I remember a few occasions I got abuse from other truck drivers for going into the outside lane/lane 3 there because they thought it was a motorway. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

villa:
if the central reservation is a grass bank with 2 lanes in both directions and the road has speed limits for 50 or 60 mph

The number of lanes is irrelevant, the clue is in the name -dual carriageway - which refers to the number of carriageways not the number of lanes. A dual carriageway can have 1 lane in each direction and a single carriageway could have 2, 3, 4 or more. Two lanes would be a dual lane road not necessarily a dual carriageway.

villa:
it only becomes a dual carriageway when there is a metal barrier dividing the 4 lanes ,not a grass bank

Nonsense, it just has to have physical separation between the carriageways which could be a strip of grass or gravel, just needs to be something more than painted lines. It certainly doesn’t have to be a metal barrier, you also get concrete barriers separating carriageways, or an actual barrier of any kind.

Or in the case of the Dartford Crossing, one carriageway is a bridge and the other one is two tunnels.

You know someone is going to come on and say that’s a motorway and not a dual carriageway don’t you? :smiley: They’ll be wrong but they’ll still say it. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Not everyone, I remember a few occasions I got abuse from other truck drivers for going into the outside lane/lane 3 there because they thought it was a motorway. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

One of the reasons it is an A road is so that those vehicles and drivers barred from using motorways, i.e. learners, can get across the river without having to drive to Woolwich Ferry or Blackwall Tunnel.

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

waddy640:

Coffeeholic:

villa:

villa:

One of the reasons it is an A road is so that those vehicles and drivers barred from using motorways, i.e. learners, can get across the river without having to drive to Woolwich Ferry or Blackwall Tunnel.

And to allow a full time lower speed limit

Not all motorways have 70mph speed limits.

Conor:

dsa:
I was told by my instructor, when training, that a dual lane that did not have a central reservation or barrier , did not constitute a dual carriageway. Therefore 40mph applied and not 50 mph. Have never seen this officially written anywhere though ?

There is a good example of this coming off the M6 to go to Nantwich. 2 lanes but no centre division so it is 40. Many truck drivers been done for doing 50 on it.

Do you mean the A556 when you come off at J19 heading towards Northwich? A few of our lads have been done there.

the maoster:

villa:
then you can do 50

Really? I was always under the impression that the requirement was for a physical divide between the two carriageways, no mention specifically of a metal barrier? Would concrete do?

yes concrete will do but grass will not

villa:

the maoster:

villa:
then you can do 50

Really? I was always under the impression that the requirement was for a physical divide between the two carriageways, no mention specifically of a metal barrier? Would concrete do?

yes concrete will do but grass will not

Yes it will, as will gravel or a raised kerb with a concrete island. There just has to be physical separation of the two carriageways but there does not have to be a barrier.

The definition of a dual carriageway as contained in The Road Traffic Act 1984

“dual-carriageway road” means a road part of which consists of a central reservation to separate a carriageway to be used by vehicles proceeding in one direction from a carriageway to be used by vehicles proceeding in the opposite direction;

No mention of a barrier.