speed limit

hi all this might seem like a daft ■■■ question but can you help me with a debate im having in work.

what is the speed limit for a merc atego max load I can carry is 7.5 ton.

i found this on direct gov, The Highway Code - General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158) - Guidance - GOV.UK

is these Gross weights or current laden weights.

if it current laden weight I can understand why the PO PO aint pulled me & so far I aint got a ticket?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

WTF?

DCPC anyone?

Your link answers your question,so what’s the issue?

Think about it for just a minute.

The speed limit for the vehicle doesn’t vary depending on it’s current weight. For instance how would some speed cameras work if it did?

Coffeeholic:

The speed limit for the vehicle doesn’t vary depending on it’s current weight. For instance how would some speed cameras work if it did?

Isn’t there a weighbridge under each speed camera? :smiley:

206doorman:

Coffeeholic:

Isn’t there a weighbridge under each speed camera? :smiley:

There is on the A15 at Scampton - North of Lincoln :wink:

chris mc:

Are you sure about this?
Load or Gross Maximum Weight?

Or to put it another way. What is the GMW of your truck?
Or to put it another way. VOSA are asking for help in raising funds for their Christmas party. What is your donation going to be?
Or to put it another way. Just hope this topic slips to page 2 before Rob K spots it :open_mouth:

If you are being serious about your question I would say just drive a car and stick to the posted speed limits because you appear not to have a clue about vehicle weights and how they effect what you can and cannot do.
But to answer your question I am going to have to guess that what you meant is you can load your vehicle until it and the load weigh 7.5 tonnes… That being the case empty it can go :-
Goods vehicles
(not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48) built up area’s
50 (80) Single carriageways
60 (96) Dual Carriageways
70 (112) Motorways
unless lower speed limits are posted
However if you meant you can load 7.5 tonnes onto your truck I would guess your vehicle is an LGV so the speed limits are :-
Goods vehicles
(exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48) Built up area’s
40 (64) Single Carriageways
50 (80) Dual Carriageways
60 (96) Motorways
Unless lower speed limits are signed
It matters not one little bit whether you have a load on or are completely empty. :confused: :exclamation:
I hope that is easy enough for you to understand :unamused:

Jimti, the new Rob K :laughing: :laughing:

7.5 tonners registered 2001 or newer need speed limiters,so,theoretically he can only do 90km/h unless it`s an older motor.

Gridley51:
7.5 tonners registered 2001 or newer need speed limiters,so,theoretically he can only do 90km/h unless it`s an older motor.

That’s the same as HGV / LGV’s though, nothing to do with the speed limits.

BUT, as others have said, I can’t believe you’re asking this question AND driving a 7.5t vehicle…

Ok, ok, I take it all back, we must all now fork out for the dCPC because of people like this :unamused:

waynedl:

Gridley51:

That’s the same as HGV / LGV’s though, nothing to do with the speed limits.

BUT, as others have said, I can’t believe you’re asking this question AND driving a 7.5t vehicle…

Ok, ok, I take it all back, we must all now fork out for the dCPC because of people like this :unamused:

I didn`t ask the question.

the maoster:
DCPC anyone?

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

it’s a travesty !!

Gridley51:

What the vehicle can actually do under power and what the legal limit is are not the same thing.

chris mc:
hi all this might seem like a daft ■■■ question but can you help me with a debate im having in work.

i found this on direct gov, The Highway Code - General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158) - Guidance - GOV.UK

is these Gross weights or current laden weights.

if it current laden weight I can understand why the PO PO aint pulled me & so far I aint got a ticket?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

right sorry I didnt write this out right, the debate is between me & a guy who has had his cat c license 6 months. I was saying that I went past the POPO at xxmph on a SC road (unladen). they didnt even bat an eye I thought they would of went for me, I mentioned this to a new driver he said your ok it 50 on a SC.

I was then confused and thought I missed something, maybe a change in the laws for 7.5 tonnes. I asked him if he was sure, he said yes.

think I need to chat with him. Im sure hes been taking his 7.5 tonner over bridges ect coz he aint loaded. but those signs are in GVW so why wouldnt speed limits be the same.

sorry for the confusion Ill not be posting here again when tippsy!!!

chris mc:
right sorry I didnt write this out right, the debate is between me & a guy who has had his cat c license 6 months. I was saying that I went past the POPO at xxmph on a SC road (unladen). they didnt even bat an eye I thought they would of went for me, I mentioned this to a new driver he said your ok it 50 on a SC.

I was then confused and thought I missed something, maybe a change in the laws for 7.5 tonnes. I asked him if he was sure, he said yes.

think I need to chat with him. Im sure hes been taking his 7.5 tonner over bridges ect coz he aint loaded. but those signs are in GVW so why wouldnt speed limits be the same.

sorry for the confusion Ill not be posting here again when tippsy!!!

Am I missing something here Why would any change in the law for 7.5 tonne vehicles have anything to do with a cat C vehicle■■?
Both the speed limit and the weight limit signs apply to GVW so a cat C vehicle would be restricted to 40mph on a single carriageway and an unladen cat C vehicle would no be allowed to cross a 7.5 tonne weight limit bridge.

All signage you will ever come across will be for your vehicle at it’s maximum weight, so even if you are empty and only weigh 5 tonnes you are still in a 18 tonne truck as far as the laws apply to speed and weight limits, just ask yourself how anyone looking at a vehicle can tell how heavy it is at that precise moment, they can’t so even if you only weigh 5 tonnes your truck has to stick to cat C speed limits and you have to stick to max weight limits for your truck when signs set a limit for a particular road, no matter how light you may physically be.

Go Jim Go Jim ! :grimacing:

newmercman:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing :open_mouth: :grimacing:

jimti:

newmercman:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Well they say two is better than one. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: