Speed limit question

My wonderful company will give you a written warning for persistantly over speeding, eg going over 100 kph for short periods downhill, (the long descent northbound m74 near Cairn lodge services).

When the FTA first took over our tacho analysis they had a 90 kph limit, which meant every driver in the depot got an infringement letter. :unamused:

bugcos:
Thats crap mate, 40 is 40 for everyone, you should change instructors :open_mouth:

I agree, I don’t know where this guff comes from, it’s the same with the rubbish about overspeeding. The limit for trucks on a motorway is 60! Read a sodding highway code if you don’t agree.

P.S. Rikki is spot-on regarding VOSA’s interpretation of overspeeding.

Work Shy:
going over 100 kph for short periods downhill, (the long descent northbound m74 near Cairn lodge services).

The best part of the journey to Scotland!!

Just been told that 40 is 40, but I knew that anyway… :laughing:

DAF95XF:

Who did :question:

ROG:

DAF95XF:

Who did :question:

I knew it was 40 in a 40 anyway, but I presume a phone call that the instructor recieved he found out today… :wink:

It’s in the C & U regulations somewhere. I can’t find it on the net and I can’t remember where else I’ve read it apart from the sign on the board at work. The exact wording was, the national speed limit for a HGV on a motorway is 60mph unless a speed limiter is fitted in which case the speed of the limiter becomes the speed limit for the vehicle. Its a Euro thing apparently. But at any rate when our new digital tacho equipped 85 km/h limited trucks arrive we’ll collect overspeed infringements for exceeding 85 km/h.

Work Shy:
My wonderful company will give you a written warning for persistantly over speeding, eg going over 100 kph for short periods downhill, (the long descent northbound m74 near Cairn lodge services).

When the FTA first took over our tacho analysis they had a 90 kph limit, which meant every driver in the depot got an infringement letter. :unamused:

Going over 100 kph is speeding though…Thats over 62 mph.

96-97 kph is 60mph.

If you want to be pedantic :laughing:

jc69817:
In my training I was told
speed limit over 40 knock off 10 for hgv
under 40 do it in hgv (upto of course)

hope this is right
I’m sure its what I got told

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That works on motorways, but duel’s are 50 unless signposted lower and singles are 40, again unless signposted lower. A single with a national speed limit would be 60 for cars but only 40 for HGV.

It’s also worth remembering that a duel carraigeway is a road where the opposing traffic is seperated by a physical divider (grass verge, kerb, barrier, etc.). A road with 2 lanes of traffic running each way and only a white lane between them is a single sp the limit is 40 and a duel may only have one lane running each way but as long as there is a physical divider the limit is 50.

I had my first trip out last weekend with a digital tacho.
My impression?What a load of old ■■■■■■■■.
On the Axors we run,on a downhill stretch,the exhaust brake comes on automatically at 2mph over your limiter,eg.58 mph,BUT,at 57 mph you get an overspeed warning!
I tried applying the exhaust brake when sensing going over 56,that immediately brought the speed down to 55 mph,so when I knocked the exhaust brake off it accelerated back up to 56 before starting to over run again.
The result is,power on off,on off,shunting back and forth!Watching your speedo and operating the exhaust brake,and not concentrating on the road,IS THIS SAFE?
On the other hand,the speed can be better controlled by using the brakes.
BUT,as soon as you touch the brake pedal,it knocks off the cruise control,and defeats the object of having an exhaust brake?
If on the other hand you leave the cruise control on and allow the Exhaust brake to come in at 58 mph,and maintain that speed,that seems perfectly safe and reasonable to me.
If I am told that exceeding 56 mph is an offence,then there’s a well worn Class 1 licence going in the bin.
Being retired,I do this job part time because like most of us,I love driving,not because i have to,the job has been very good to me over the years,but if it’s going to get this petty,well it’ time to call it a day.
Like most things to do with road transport,the rules are made up by people that have never done the job,so expecting anything sensible is hoping for too much.

jc69817:

hope this is right

Does not work as a general rule.

NSL Duals - 70 for cars - 60 for 7.5s & PCVs - 50 for LGVs

NSL Singles - 60 for cars - 50 for 7.5s & PCVs - 40 for LGVs

When I was tramping I got fed up with that over speed as it was putting me off pressing the o/k button and even anticipating it was hopeless as it would come on five minutes later when back down to 56.

I went through the tacho and found the over speed setting and it allowed me to change it to 99kph but it doesn`t seem to work on newer tachos so have they locked this now as its a pain in the hole.

ROG:

jc69817:

hope this is right

Does not work as a general rule.

NSL Duals - 70 for cars - 60 for 7.5s & PCVs - 50 for LGVs

NSL Singles - 60 for cars - 50 for 7.5s & PCVs - 40 for LGVs

you forgot 60+ on all UK road’s for certain HGV’s :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :sunglasses:

jc69817:

Some drivers seem to think that if a limit has been reduced for a car ie 50mph on a dual carriageway then the LGV speed limit needs to be lowered also :smiley:

NB For the record I wasn’t told this by my instructor.

DAF95XF:
As some of you may know, Ive just started my class 2 training and today I was told that if the speed limit is 40mph then trucks are limited to 30mph - is this correct :confused:

ROG:
I would ask your instructor again - just to see if you get the same answer :wink:

mrpj:
NB For the record I wasn’t told this by my instructor.

Which is why I suggested he ask his instructor again - it has been known, on more than one occasion, that, whilst on training, with the brain trying to take so much in, that trainees can mis-hear or get ‘the wrong end of the stick’ at times. :wink: :wink:

Trainees - if you are not sure of anything do not be afraid to ask your instructor, a thousand times, if necessary - a good instructor will not mind :smiley:

bestbooties:
I had my first trip out last weekend with a digital tacho.
My impression?What a load of old ■■■■■■■■.
On the Axors we run,on a downhill stretch,the exhaust brake comes on automatically at 2mph over your limiter,eg.58 mph,BUT,at 57 mph you get an overspeed warning!
I tried applying the exhaust brake when sensing going over 56,that immediately brought the speed down to 55 mph,so when I knocked the exhaust brake off it accelerated back up to 56 before starting to over run again.
The result is,power on off,on off,shunting back and forth!Watching your speedo and operating the exhaust brake,and not concentrating on the road,IS THIS SAFE?
On the other hand,the speed can be better controlled by using the brakes.
BUT,as soon as you touch the brake pedal,it knocks off the cruise control,and defeats the object of having an exhaust brake?
If on the other hand you leave the cruise control on and allow the Exhaust brake to come in at 58 mph,and maintain that speed,that seems perfectly safe and reasonable to me.
If I am told that exceeding 56 mph is an offence,then there’s a well worn Class 1 licence going in the bin.
Being retired,I do this job part time because like most of us,I love driving,not because i have to,the job has been very good to me over the years,but if it’s going to get this petty,well it’ time to call it a day.
Like most things to do with road transport,the rules are made up by people that have never done the job,so expecting anything sensible is hoping for too much.

Ignore it.Pull it back and hold 60 mph…It’s stupid.I was told that a digi head will book at an overspeed if you do more than 60 mph for 1 minute.In reality it can on some heads we have book you for 57 mph for 20-30 seconds.
I ignore it , nothing to worry about.

As the guy before me said, ignore it, I always do, I won’t go over 60mph so I know I’ve not broken the law. If I know I’m going to be going down lots of hills then I’ll just let the digi tacho do its own thing until i get to some flat ground, then I’ll press OK to stop it flashing.

Speed limiters are only fitted to vehicles for fuel economy. Next time you hit 56mph, look at your rev needle, you’ll see that it’s only just in the green zone, meaning any faster (57-60) and your revs will be outside the green zone, making you uneconomical…thats the only reason for speed limiters! I can’t understand why they cant just put in an extra gear, there’s 16 of them already, making one more isn’t going to be a hard task! Then we could just be done with 56mph!

tofer:
It’s in the C & U regulations somewhere.

No it’s not

tofer:
I can’t find it on the net

You won’t because it doesn’t exist.

tofer:
and I can’t remember where else I’ve read it apart from the sign on the board at work.

Lot of rubbish posted on work notice boards as a rule, usually by someone who is designated a trainer but hasn’t got a clue or just repeats any old nonsense they hear without checking its validity.

tofer:
The exact wording was, the national speed limit for a HGV on a motorway is 60mph unless a speed limiter is fitted in which case the speed of the limiter becomes the speed limit for the vehicle.

Exact wording was made up then, you won’t find that in any legislation. The speed limit is the posted speed limit for the type of road and the type of vehicle whether that vehicle has a speed limiter or not.

tofer:
Its a Euro thing apparently.

Ah ha, the cry of the desperate when they are trying to get people to believe an urban myth, blame it on ‘Europe’.

tofer:
But at any rate when our new digital tacho equipped 85 km/h limited trucks arrive we’ll collect overspeed infringements for exceeding 85 km/h.

I wouldn’t sign for them as it isn’t necessarily an infringement, it would depend on the road it occurred on.

A speed limiter must prevent a vehicle being powered beyond the set speed, there is nothing in any legislation which makes it an offence for momentum to take the vehicle beyond the speed limiter setting and up to 60 mph on motorways.