Speed cameras

Has anyone fought a speeding fine and if so what was the result

I tried, I lost. The court then imposed a much bigger fine. :cry:

triple-tango:
I tried, I lost. The court then imposed a much bigger fine. :cry:

THAT is the way the system is designed… WHICH IS WRONG…
OK, you get charged with an offence, you are pretty sure you didn’t do it, or have a reasonable explanation as to why you should not be prosecuted.
BUT, you have a choice, pay the fixed penalty or go to court with the threat of a much higher fine and court costs…
all very well if you have loads of money to throw around but very unfair for Mr average…
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

friend of mines had been fighting one for nearly twelve months, all ended last month, he told me the court didn’t even care he had presented loads of facts and the experts had got so much wrong in their paper work, when i read it i thought he would win because you only have to show reasonable doubt to get a not guilty, and it was there in black and white.

but no he’s now £3000 lighter and 3 points and the £3000 was just costs and fine :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

laughingboy007:
‘…Has anyone fought a speeding fine…’

In what sense?

I am imagining:

a) Someone wishing to avoid democratic punishment for abusing one’s privilege to earn a living by being granted a driving licence.

and

b) Baring it in mind that to speed on a test means to fail the test :neutral_face:

Can we assume you are thinking of fighting one, lb7? If so, you might know the proper place for such queries (and I don’t necessarily mean the law section of this site). Remember, all the authorities are quite keen on extra revenue generation at this time.

look here, pepipoo.com/

That’s what I meant tt, but I don’t like to promote it too much. (I have nothing to do with it btw).

I bought a book that is heavily advertised about fighting prosecutions for speeding. The book says dont fight if it was a GATSO you cant win.I think that you should just apply the vaseline and take whats comming.

I fought a GATSO ticket and won. Although the technicality I argued was nothing pertaining to the GATSO camera.

BUT, you have a choice, pay the fixed penalty or go to court with the threat of a much higher fine and court costs…
all very well if you have loads of money to throw around but very unfair for Mr average…
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

Obviousley cleverer people than me must have looked into this but I would have thought that threatening that you may be fined more if not admitting the offence is coercion, which can be illegal, in that it seeks to deter you from defending yourself.
I think that I read they get around it because it is a penalty charge not a fine.

not worth taking days off work,parking fuel etc etc ,bite the bullet and pay it.unless your on 9 points then put your thinking cap on…good luck. :laughing:

del949:
but I would have thought that threatening that you may be fined more if not admitting the offence is coercion, which can be illegal, in that it seeks to deter you from defending yourself.

AIUI it’s the other way round; go to court and pay the costs involved or take the offer of a lesser fine by accepting the penalty notice.

AIUI it’s the other way round; go to court and pay the costs involved or take the offer of a lesser fine by accepting the penalty notice.

I understand what you are saying, but surely it amounts to the same thing,
take the penalty or fight and perhaps get hammered.
You are being coerced into taking the lesser penalty in fear of receiving a higher one.
but as I said, better brains than mine will have formulated the law.

If you were caught speeding then its pretty much case closed, why would you fight it? you would need bloody ■■■■ good excuse to be able to get out of it - to which im unaware of any! :frowning:

I have just been offered a course and I’m taking it!! I got off 3 points last time due to a Dvla ■■■■ up and when they contacted the magistrates they had no record of it either so I still have a clean licence and this course although annoying will keep it clean!

briscoe05:
If you were caught speeding then its pretty much case closed, why would you fight it? you would need bloody ■■■■ good excuse to be able to get out of it - to which im unaware of any! :frowning:

I was “caught” by a Gatso, allegedly 36 in a 30. Tacho showed cruise control had been on 50kmh max for about 5mins when offence happened. After a heated discussion with TM (didn’t want the firm to be seen to argue with Police) I was given a photocopy which I sent to police. Got a letter basically threatening the usual crap. I couldn’t afford to fight it and to add insult firm docked me £68 load bonus. They took this over two weeks as I’d not earned enough the week the NIP came through. 40mph and dragging jobs out ever since.

Yes and yes. Took it to court after the camera partnership were a bunch of useless idiots who couldn’t read. One of the magistrates was an ex driver so pointed out to the cps that tachos record in KPH NOT MPH. A couple of other bits to it but that was basically it.

wildfire:
you only have to show reasonable doubt to get a not guilty

Only on TV … :stuck_out_tongue:

When caught speeding i think there should be an option of £60-3points or £120-no points…