Speed Cameras

If you’ve ever wondered why we had them or have speed bumps, traffic calming etc. it’s because of the selfish, moronic minority as usual

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox … e-10929488

According to the media (if it’s true). The cameras in Berks & Hants are due to be swithed of. Saw one with a bag over it on the way to Slough from the M40(J5)

Deaths have not gone up tho, just proves that it ain’t speed that kills, it’s ■■■■■ who can’t drive properly who kill.

:unamused: All it means is the tear asses that normally exceed the limit arn’t slaming the brakes on to slow down for the camera, and therefore because they’re not having to accerate back up to their normal speed, its helping to save the envoiroment :confused: :grimacing:

n Cowley, 62 people were clocked speeding, representing a rise of 88%, the partnership revealed.

In Woodstock 110 drivers were caught doing more than the 30mph limit, which is 18% more than the average for 2010.

What they don’t mention, is that both these roads carry thousands of vehicles every day, so 62 and 110 may be an increase, but it is still a very small minority of drivers. I got caught by the cowley one last year despite passing it 3 or 4 times a day, i simply forgot about it as I pulled away from the traffic lights, was doing 36MPH as I went through it on my way to work at 4 am. I always (except when I forgot :blush: ) go along this road at or around 30 MPH in my car and my truck regardless of the fact there is a speed camera there, simply because it’s a busy road. I have always thought that static speed cameras were more about money than road safety, if they want to make roads safer, and slow people down, one police officer with a mobile camera moving to different spots every day would work much better.

Yebbut…

In Woodstock 110 drivers were caught doing more than the 30mph limit, which is 18% more than the average for 2010.

I think most people would agree that the 30mph limit at the Woodstock camera site is too low, although they do change its orientation occasionally it generally faces eastbound and is well after you have left the built-up area and it is painful and unnaturally slow to drive at 30mph.

My own FPN from Thames Valley Police came from a site where the limit had just been reduced from 40mph to 30mph for no reason- no change in the road, or nature of the area, or history of accidents but simply, imho, because it had been identified as a potential source of revenue.

There must be some internal politics going on though if they have been switched off because of funding cuts, now they have been bought and paid for and there are only minor maintenance and clerical costs they must rake in an absolute mint.

Yes they do rake in a mint, but the system has changed. the local council used to get funding from the government paid out of the revenue from the cameras. now this all goes to central government and the councils funding has been stopped, so they have to pay for the speed cameras from other budgets such as highways, education, fire service etc, while central government rake it in!

truckerjon:
Yes they do rake in a mint, but the system has changed. the local council used to get funding from the government paid out of the revenue from the cameras. now this all goes to central government and the councils funding has been stopped, so they have to pay for the speed cameras from other budgets such as highways, education, fire service etc, while central government rake it in!

Absolutely right, As long as councils were reaping the financial rewards of speed cameras that was ok, now those rewards have been removed so have the cameras, that only proves that speed cameras are all about revenue and have nothing to do with safety,