Speed Cameras

Coming down the A1 yesterday in Northumberland I noticed a number of speed cameras that weren’t painted yellow but were still in the old grey colour. Now can anyone tell me is it a requirement now for them to be painted yellow (as elsewhere in country) and if you get flashed is it a possible get-out from the fines/points as they are not so noticable? (No I didn’t get flashed btw) :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that there is no longer (or are changing the law soon) a requirement for them to be painted yellow and that they can be painted grey like before.

No they don’t have to be painted yellow. The requirment for them to be painted yellow is to meet the needs of the "netting off "sceme so the local authority can keep some of the cash. The camera and its prosecution is still valid no matter what colour it is.

I think (and dont quote me on this) The only requirement for speed cameras is a sign with ‘speed camera’ and ‘speed’ sign in one. And the speed camera can not be hidden (must be fully in sight regurdless of colour). Thats what one policeman told me as i was at a dtop check a few months back.

Andy

And watch out for the one hidden behind the sign southbound just outside Purdy Lodge, also black painted

Dratsabasti:
And watch out for the one hidden behind the sign southbound just outside Purdy Lodge, also black painted

Its painted yelow now, at least it was on Sunday when I drove past it…

IF its not painted BRIGHT yellow go to b and q and get some VERY bright yellow paint and make sure its painted yellow for the rest of us in future :wink:;););).

the yellow is stick on refelective stuff, like they use on road signs.

My guess is when they’re delivered they dont come with the stickers, then they are fitted once installed so they’re not damaged in transit and other countries where they use the same cameras probably dont use the yellow stuff

dont have to be painted bright yellow as in doncaster they are RNLI orange

in scotland thy are yelow and red diaggonal stripes or at least on the A68 last tme i past

colour is irrelevent really, it just has to be a bright colour to make them obviously visible., i think Orange, red strippey or even pink with red pokadots would do that :laughing:

And ‘still’ people manage to get caught on them :unamused: