Speed cameras A446

My son came home an hour ago not in a good mood.
He drives a 7.5 tonner and has 6 points on his licence now so obviously he takes no chances where there is likely to be any speed camera.
He was on his way in this afternoon coming past the Belfry golf course on the A446.He knows the speed limit on that road is posted at 60,but being in a 7.5 he is limited to 50.
As he went past the speed camera,he reckons his speed was about 45,his Tom-Tom speed readout never changed from white,apparently it turns red if you are exceeding the limit for a given stretch of road,when he was flashed.
He is sure no one else was travelling in the opposite direction so can only assume the flash was for him.
Have just checked on the net and it confirms the speed limit for that stretch of road is still 60,so there is no hint of a change in the limit for that road.
I have had this happen to me before now,having a flash when you’re doing everything you think is right,then waiting for THAT envelope to drop through the letter box.After one or two weeks when you’ve heard nothing,the anxiety starts to wear off,but for the first couple of weeks you are reluctant to get into top gear.
The rogue camera I have been flashed by is the one going N/B on the A34 north of Newcastle just before Talke traffic lights.
Has anyone any experience with this one at the Belfry?

If its a 7.5 and he was at say 50 the camera may of gone off but he shouldnt get or hear anything. When ive gone out in our wee puddle jumper ive set off cameras on the A15 but they should check the reg etc to determine the trucks weight cat etc. I remember setting 2 off in one day and another driver has done the same but the camera thinks its a bigger truck so flashes both of us have never heard a thing.

sounds like a simple case of the technology mistaking a 7.5 for something bigger - bet you never hear any more about it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

an old colleague was driving down that stretch in a tired old erf and set it off.

if anything comes of it, if he had a analogue tacho try checking the speed and time and using that as your defense

This is the problem with some camera’s being set to detect differing heights.

If you were in a luton van, you could trip it.

Its ridiculous, everything should have a speed limit - end of, none of this one for me another for you crap.

But thats another thread, :laughing:

nothing will come off it,i had the same happen to me on the wirrall,doing 50 and the camera is set at 60

HGV_Mikey:
an old colleague was driving down that stretch in a tired old erf and set it off.

if anything comes of it, if he had a analogue tacho try checking the speed and time and using that as your defense

This is a week old truck my lad was in.I don’t run on a digi tach yet so don’t know enough about them,but is it possible to download the speed/time info.That’s the advantage with an analogue tacho,you can check your recent history straight off.

bestbooties:

HGV_Mikey:

This is a week old truck my lad was in.I don’t run on a digi tach yet so don’t know enough about them,but is it possible to download the speed/time info.That’s the advantage with an analogue tacho,you can check your recent history straight off.

It doesn’t matter if its digi or analogue they both record the speed ( but digi only prints out speed with a company card not a drivers card)

But you cannot use the speed trace on an analogue as defence (and it can not be used to prosecute either) afaik the same applies with digi

I’ve never heard of a cam being set for trucks and cars at different speeds, always the higher speed.

Why reliy on a tom tom
It’s only good if you have a good gps signal and then it can be slow to react I dont care what the makers say,
Thought thats why they put speedo’s in motors you know the sort anorm a dial with a needle that moves as you drive and points to numbersafter all thats what he can produce if a dispute arises you cant turn up and say well my tom tom didnt go red ur houner.

As for the cameras they can be set to veh size and as said when the reg is checked against the data base it will show the cat and speed for that veh

Okie Kokie

the camera outside the belfry is set at 40mph for trucks, i know that because i am 1 of serveral people i know who have been caught by it - perhaps the size of the 7.5 tonner set it off

Firm i worked for had 2 poles working with me on nights, and one of them got done on that camera 2 days running :laughing: i mean once is bad luck but twice in two days is just bloody stupid.

My lad came in today to say he came past the Belfry again this afternoon,at about 35 mph,and along the whole stretch of road there are signs showing a camera and national speed limit,white circle with diagonal black line.
He is posative he was only doing 45 when he was flashed the other day,so it would appear to be picking off a 7.5 with a box body as an HGV.
Thanks for your views fellas,I’ll let you know if anything becomes of it.

the camera outside the belfry is set at 40mph for trucks

What he said , so it’s obviously clocked your lad as one. I may be wrong but they are set off by weight from sensors in the road surface rather than looking at the size of the vehicle.