Speed camera

Hi All
First week of trucking. Once again the reversing has been a problem, a smashing chap from UPS helped me last night, but I was still late.
Coming out of Basingstoke on the A339 towards Kingsclear, put the foot down a bit. Later on chatting to someone they said about the speed camera, It’s one that points at you. I did not see it. I am normally so carefull. New job panicking cos Im late ect.
Has anybody had trouble with this camera? or one like it.

I got flashed by one on my way into Rotheram.
Bloody stupid really as i’ve done the route loads of times.
It was the early hours about 2am, doing about 45 in a 30 zone.

I got the letter, so i phoned them and told them that i had to speed up as i started into a jack nife and the only way out of it was to put my foot down.
I also asked if the camera showed the ■■■■■■ up old bloke on the kerb who i was scared of hitting with the trailer.
They told me it didn’t show him…well it wouldn’t would it :wink:

But they let me off with it. :laughing:

limeyphil:
Bloody stupid really as i’ve done the route loads of times.
It was the early hours about 2am, doing about 45 in a 30 zone.

I got the letter, so i phoned them and told them that i had to speed up as i started into a jack nife and the only way out of it was to put my foot down.
I also asked if the camera showed the ■■■■■■ up old bloke on the kerb who i was scared of hitting with the trailer.
They told me it didn’t show him…well it wouldn’t would it :wink:

But they let me off with it. :laughing:

To me, this seems to demonstrate a very good point.
limeyphil does something silly and illegal but no-one was hurt or damage caused.
I’ll bet limeyphil has learnt from this - GREAT :smiley:
So what’s the point of convicting him for it - unless of course he continues to do it.

I really think that we need a different method where these types of cameras are concerned.

A driver who gets caught for the first time should be interviewed and from that interview it should be determined as to whether the driver has learnt from their error.
If lesson deemed to be learnt - no prosecution BUT if caught again then the points and fines at least doubled.

Stuie:
Hi All
First week of trucking. Once again the reversing has been a problem, a smashing chap from UPS helped me last night, but I was still late.
Coming out of Basingstoke on the A339 towards Kingsclear, put the foot down a bit. Later on chatting to someone they said about the speed camera, It’s one that points at you. I did not see it. I am normally so carefull. New job panicking cos Im late ect.
Has anybody had trouble with this camera? or one like it.

i dont know of the camera but i assume you are on for one of the overnight parcel companies. i know exactly what nightfreight at crewe are like when it comes to encouraging the night trunkers to get a wiggle on, that’s why i don’t work there anymore. the important thing to make clear to them is that it gets done at your pace, and not theirs. it is better to take your time and do it properly than tear arse about all the time and worrying about someones parcel being late.

i’ve never been an habitual speeder but that aint stopped me from getting
6 points from 2 40 in a 30 area. both in rural locations

I’ve been flashed twice in the dark by speed cameras, one front facing. On the A14. If it’s the same type of camera, believe me, you’ll know.

limeyphil:

Wortley Road at Kimberworth by any chance?

:sunglasses: Hiya Stuie, camera on that stretch is a forward facing Truvelo camera, it wont flash - well not so that its visible to yourself, its fitted with a filter otherwise it blinds drivers at night, if youve gone through it over 40 + 10% + 1 mph - so 45mph, then youre stuffed, thats the NIP trigger, in most force areas anyway ( as ive been reliable informed ) if you dont see anything within usually 14 days then you should be in the clear :wink:

:sunglasses: Good Luck, shiny side up and watch the speed limits :wink:

renaultman:
I’ve been flashed twice in the dark by speed cameras, one front facing. On the A14. If it’s the same type of camera, believe me, you’ll know.

Not unless you’ve got nightvision goggles on you won’t.

Front facing cameras (Truvelos) such as on the A14 use invisible infra-red flashes because otherwise they would blind everyone when they go off. So if you set one off you won’t know until you get the letter. Only rear facing GATSOs use conventional white light flashes.

sharky the shredder:
8) Hiya Stuie, camera on that stretch is a forward facing Truvelo camera, it wont flash - well not so that its visible to yourself, its fitted with a filter otherwise it blinds drivers at night, if youve gone through it over 40 + 10% + 1 mph - so 45mph, then youre stuffed, thats the NIP trigger, in most force areas anyway ( as ive been reliable informed ) if you dont see anything within usually 14 days then you should be in the clear :wink:

:sunglasses: Good Luck, shiny side up and watch the speed limits :wink:

I always thought the tolerance was 10% + 4 mph?
All the taxis in this area have it sussed,they go through the speed cameras in a 40 zone at a gnats under 50!

Got flashed going south past the 1st one at Elkersley last saturday.
cruise set at under 50, and a car overtakes me, next thing a double flash from the camera. I guess the car overtaking me tripped it, lets hope the spotty oik checking the pictures notices the difference in both vehicle speeds

Kiowan:

renaultman:

Not unless you’ve got nightvision goggles on you won’t.

Front facing cameras (Truvelos) such as on the A14 use invisible infra-red flashes because otherwise they would blind everyone when they go off. So if you set one off you won’t know until you get the letter. Only rear facing GATSOs use conventional white light flashes.

Some must be different than others, The one that got me temporally blinded me.

AFAIK only the Gatso type 28 doesn’t have home office approval to be forward facing, this is most common type of speed camera Piccy here, if anyone has a ticket from one of these when it was forward facing, contesting the ticket is childs play. Secondly you should request the photos that implicate you, if another vehicle is in the shot then the ticket maybe invalid also.

More help at www.pepipoo.com.

MADBAZ:
AFAIK only the Gatso type 28 doesn’t have home office approval to be forward facing, this is most common type of speed camera Piccy here, if anyone has a ticket from one of these when it was forward facing, contesting the ticket is childs play. Secondly you should request the photos that implicate you, if another vehicle is in the shot then the ticket maybe invalid also.

More help at www.pepipoo.com.

Hmmm, very interesting… Ok it was like 7 years go, but as you go into Gainsborough from the Lincoln / Newark way, there is a camera that will swivel to face either lane.

It got me in 2001 and both myself and passenger almost crapped ourselves with the flash. As far as I know, its still the same camera.

Shame I didnt know that sooner :smiling_imp:

limeyphil:
Some must be different than others, The one that got me temporally blinded me.

If you speed past a rear facing GATSO (like the one in the picture linked above) that is on the opposite side of the road (therefore facing you obviously), it will usually go off and blind you.

As said the only front facing cameras in existance (ie on your side of the road, facing you) are Truvelos with IR flashes, and SPECS average speed which are totally different up on poles a mile high.

If you’re driving towards a rear facing GATSO and it flashes you from the opposite side of the road you can’t get prosecuted for it, as they’re only calibrated to catch vehicles moving away from them, not towards, and cannot accurately catch vehicles on the opposite side of the road.

Whats a speed camera?

wire:
Whats a speed camera?

I gather you do not have them in Canada :question:

They are a roadside device, that can be fixed or handheld, which detects the speed of an approaching vehicle and if that vehicle is over the speed limit it photographs it using various methods.

The number plate on the vehicle allows the authorities to locate the driver.

A penalty notice is then sent to the driver who then has to pay a fine and has 3 points taken off their licence. Each licence is allowed a maximum of 12 points, after which the licence is withdrawn for a fixed period - usually 1 year.

I was informed that the cameras, north and south jct 35 M6,

Are the new digi ones and they don’t flash,

Any truth in this ■■?

weemo:
I was informed that the cameras, north and south jct 35 M6,

Are the new digi ones and they don’t flash,

Any truth in this ■■?

are they front or rear cameras?

edit - just thought about the above and it would not matter - if they have non flash front cameras then it is possible to have non flash rear ones - DOH

LOL they are rear…

It’s just i have saw cars go faster then 50 through the road works…

There are 2 on each side, with a short stretch of cones, and yet futher up the road, before jct32, more than double the length, yet no cameras !!!