Speed Camera on A5 near Nuneaton

Hi all,

Just got letter from Warwickshire police regarding pending FPN for speeding at the above location, single carriageway, 46mph.
Not saying i deserve it, just don’t agree with the current policy, i was in traffic just going with the flow, cars in front of me, cars behind me, nice big gaps between us, clear dry sunny day, nice straight road, what with the government apparently looking at raising the limit for HGV’s to 50mph, and the inherent frustration of car drivers sitting behind an artic, maybe trying suicidal overtaking manoeuvers, anyway…any point in trying to defend this■■? :question:

My other gripe is this is a Gatso camera that has had extra sensors fitted in the road to detect the fact an HGV has just passed rather than a car…talk about cash cow!!! :angry:

According to my employer i got flashed twice in 2 weeks, did not see this one but did see the 2nd one, still waiting for that one to hit the doormat… :frowning:

Really p’eed off about it…i am not one to go tearing round the countryside flat out everywhere and jamming the brakes on when i see a camera…also had a clean licence for about 9 years so not happy. :imp:

Any thoughts or observations■■? :question:
(Dons suit of armour for incoming flak)

Any thoughts or observations■■? Only one more and your out of work if you boss works on 9 points

there are several cameras in the area that are set up the same and have been for a number of years, the one outside the belfrey is another, it’s ok when you know about it to a point
there will be some do gooders on here that say dont speed but not everyone is on the hourly rate dragging the hrs out to the max, as an o/d i get a rate from a to b i dont get more for the job taking longer than needed, it’s been a long time since cameras had owt to do with saftey in my veiw

Your lucky, if we get 6 points in total we are out the door.
Suggest you might want to read ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-High … %26ps%3D54

You’ll be more observant next time won’t you?

I feel your pain but you haven’t a leg to stand on & that’s from someone who’d be on the limiter either side of said camera traffic permitting.

RIPPER:
Hi all,

Just got letter from Warwickshire police regarding pending FPN for speeding at the above location, single carriageway, 46mph.
Not saying i deserve it, just don’t agree with the current policy, i was in traffic just going with the flow, cars in front of me, cars behind me, nice big gaps between us, clear dry sunny day, nice straight road, what with the government apparently looking at raising the limit for HGV’s to 50mph, and the inherent frustration of car drivers sitting behind an artic, maybe trying suicidal overtaking manoeuvers, anyway…any point in trying to defend this■■? :question:

My other gripe is this is a Gatso camera that has had extra sensors fitted in the road to detect the fact an HGV has just passed rather than a car…talk about cash cow!!! :angry:

According to my employer i got flashed twice in 2 weeks, did not see this one but did see the 2nd one, still waiting for that one to hit the doormat… :frowning:

Really p’eed off about it…i am not one to go tearing round the countryside flat out everywhere and jamming the brakes on when i see a camera…also had a clean licence for about 9 years so not happy. :imp:

were you heading northbound or southbound?

that will depend on whether it is worth fighting it or not :wink:

skypilot:
Your lucky, if we get 6 points in total we are out the door.
Suggest you might want to read ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-High … %26ps%3D54

“Let he who hath never sinned, cast the first stone”

As i said i am not one who tears around and will readily potter along at 40mph a lot of the time.
I was just plodding along with everybody else, and i don’t need to read the Highway Code.
Are you telling me you have never gone over 40 on a single carriageway…ever??
Anyways, don’t want to get into a slanging match :smiley:

shuttlespanker:

RIPPER:
Hi all,

were you heading northbound or southbound?

that will depend on whether it is worth fighting it or not :wink:

Southbound…letter says Royal Redgate…why will it matter■■?

because the one southbound is a single carriageway as you said, and as such a 40 MPh limit

the one northbound, is on a single lane DUAL carriageway, and is in fact, a 50 MPh limit

southbound, bend over and take it like a man

northbound, fight it all the way, as they would be wrong

shuttlespanker:
because the one southbound is a single carriageway as you said, and as such a 40 MPh limit

the one northbound, is on a single lane DUAL carriageway, and is in fact, a 50 MPh limit

southbound, bend over and take it like a man

northbound, fight it all the way, as they would be wrong

Yes i fear you are right…
For those that don’t know its here, for your info

You can actually see where they put the sensors in the road just before the camera

Haha I just got done doing 47mph just as the dual turns in to a single carriage way on A5. Truth is I was aware I was doing 50mph on single, but I didn’t want to hold up the queue of cars behind me so I did 50 on sc till I saw the police van.

Next time zb them all. Let the impatient car drivers kill themselves trying to cut 5 mins off their journey time, I’'m sticking to the limit 100% no matter who it holds up!

Ched:
Haha I just got done doing 47mph just as the dual turns in to a single carriage way on A5. Truth is I was aware I was doing 50mph on single, but I didn’t want to hold up the queue of cars behind me so I did 50 on sc till I saw the police van.

Next time zb them all. Let the impatient car drivers kill themselves trying to cut 5 mins off their journey time, I’'m sticking to the limit 100% no matter who it holds up!

That will be my attitude from now on :imp:

Whatever happened to 10% + 2 mph? That’d be 46. Or does that not apply to goods vehicles? If it does you might be offered an awareness course if you,ve not done one in Warwickshire lately.

Didn’t know the law makers were considering 50 mph for HGV’s as someone said up there ^ would be jolly handy if they did but I’ll not hold my breath.

Not that it makes any difference, but an observation regarding this camera. It (like the one on the Northbound side) is allegedly intended to discourage speeding on the approaches to a potentially dangerous staggered crossroads where the A444 crosses the A5. No problem with that - BUT by the time it reaches said crossroads a couple of hundred yards past the camera, a HGV could quite legally be doing 50mph anyway :frowning:

DearBoy:
Whatever happened to 10% + 2 mph? That’d be 46. Or does that not apply to goods vehicles? If it does you might be offered an awareness course if you,ve not done one in Warwickshire lately.

I got caught by the same camera in 2009 and didn’t get the option of an awareness course, since then I stick to 40 on SC roads and I don’t care who it holds up or pee’s of now, I’m paid by the hour anyway and the company I now work for monitors our speed via the tracker as well.

Roymondo:
Not that it makes any difference, but an observation regarding this camera. It (like the one on the Northbound side) is allegedly intended to discourage speeding on the approaches to a potentially dangerous staggered crossroads where the A444 crosses the A5. No problem with that - BUT by the time it reaches said crossroads a couple of hundred yards past the camera, a HGV could quite legally be doing 50mph anyway :frowning:

The irony is yes it slows us down but the cars are still doing 50 (if travelling at the speed limit) so what’s the point really if they wan’t to make the jnct safer they need to drop it to 40 for all traffic.

DearBoy:
Whatever happened to 10% + 2 mph? That’d be 46. Or does that not apply to goods vehicles? If it does you might be offered an awareness course if you,ve not done one in Warwickshire lately.Didn’t know the law makers were considering 50 mph for HGV’s as someone said up there ^ would be jolly handy if they did but I’ll not hold my breath.

10 % +2 mph is a myth! :laughing: as a professional driver, if you get A GOOD TRAFFIC COP he might give you 8 % + 1 mph if you’re lucky! :grimacing: :grimacing: in 1994 before speed limiters came on I got clocked at over 77 mph! :grimacing: :grimacing: nice copper did me for 74.9 mph as over 75 mph bye bye licence! :cry: went to needham market cop shop, sent licence in the post and the [zb] wrote IN PENCIL 3 points, £60 fine! Dumb coppers never sent it to court! Clean licence THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

i got done by belfry camera down the road about 5 years ago
46 mph , 60 quid fine and 3 points
at the time north warwickshire police didnt offer speeding course and no points
but they may do now which is your best option
no need to stick to speed limit 100% in future, still go 46 -48 mph
just pay attention , you got done on a very straight road
you should have seen that camera and slowed down to 42 mph in good time

I adopt the principle that all cameras are clever and can tell what I’m driving. I always ease off for them and sail through at or just over the appropriate limit.

I’m not a 40mph stickler on singles but I just don’t want to chance it either.

villa:
i got done by belfry camera down the road about 5 years ago
46 mph , 60 quid fine and 3 points
at the time north warwickshire police didnt offer speeding course and no points
but they may do now which is your best option
no need to stick to speed limit 100% in future, still go 46 -48 mph
just pay attention , you got done on a very straight road
you should have seen that camera and slowed down to 42 mph in good time

to be fair, that particular camera is partially hidden by overgrown trees

Hidden or not hidden … in this day and age any driver who exceeds the speed limit is taking a risk on being caught

The driver makes that choice so must therefore accept any punishment without recourse IMO

Best advice is to stick to the limits and if that inconveniences others then tough because if they don’t like it they can lobby their MPs and get the silly law changed