Speed camera loophole?

if you are registered as a limited company and that company own a vehicle,then when said vehicle gets a speed ticket to the reg owner (limited company) then as far as im aware,nobody can recieve points for not dobbing in who was driving at the time of the offence.(i.e you)…you get a bollox of a fine,for not disclosing who was driving,but no points as a limited company does not have a driving licence,meaning no prizes when you reach 12 on your breif…am i right,or am i just waffling pish again.■■?.no doubt the leagal herberts can clarify,but it seems that way when you google it and look it up.personally id rather take a big fine,than 3 points…but possibly an optional loophole for someone on 9 and kakking themselfs after the flash?..IF YOU DONT CHEAT,THEN YOUR NOT TRYING… :wink:

When i used to drive sprinter vans. often double manned,when our boss got the request for the drivers details he would tell them that he didn’t know which out of two drivers would have been behind the wheel at the time/date that it was snapped by the scamera,but if or not the company was then fined or not i don’t know, but i never heard of any driver’s having money taken from wages to pay speeding fines, but that was some 10yrs or more ago, things may well of now changed where the company now is fined if they can’t or wont supply details of the driver, but a vehicle fitted with a tachograph it would be harder for a company to get out of paying the fine i would imagine, but it may well be true

I thought it was an offence to not disclose a company driver who’s committed a traffic offence?

The most likely way around any “loophole” would be for the Ltd Company to be given a choice of:-

£90 fine and 3 points for the driver you’ve given us - no fine for the fully-cooperating company…

or

£1500 fine to the company, driver remains nameless…

If your company will take something like THAT on the chin for you - best return the loyalty in the years to come eh?

and as each driver should compleat a pre use inspection even after a driver change there could be more issues and fines …

" don’t know who was driving " who did last PUI " don’t know "

As far as Im aware, the registered keeper has to disclose the details of any driver requiered to by the police/transport authorities. Failure to do so invites draconian penalties and may also attract unwelcome attention via O licence?

Under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act there is a legal requirement to identify, for the police, the name of the person driving the vehicle when it is alleged that a road traffic offence has been committed. It is the registered keepers duty to respond and you can be charged for failing to.

The penalty is a maximum fine of £1000, 6 penalty points or a driving ban.

If you name another driver when you know they weren’t and it comes to light the offence is then ramped up to Attempting to Pervert The Course of Justice and in the case of this happening with motoring offences judges have been taking a very hard stance on it and giving out prison time as a matter of course.

bu my point is,if you are trading as a limited company…you can take a fine if you wish instead of disclosing the driver.BUT YOU WONT GET ANY POINTS ON YOUR LICENCE… that was the point of my post…plus theres always the…( jakobski rottakockoff ,69 nowhere street,pick your own town in Bulgaria) was working for me for 3 days till he disappeared etcetc,using a bit of initiative then the bottom line is,if you trade as a limited company and do not disclose the name of the driver and can afford the fine,then you cannot get points on your licence,as the registered owner has no licence to start with. plus itl save you blaming your misses again if its in the car.

dieseldog999:
bu my point is,if you are trading as a limited company…you can take a fine if you wish instead of disclosing the driver.BUT YOU WONT GET ANY POINTS ON YOUR LICENCE… that was the point of my post…plus theres always the…( jakobski rottakockoff ,69 nowhere street,pick your own town in Bulgaria) was working for me for 3 days till he disappeared etcetc,using a bit of initiative then the bottom line is,if you trade as a limited company and do not disclose the name of the driver and can afford the fine,then you cannot get points on your licence,as the registered owner has no licence to start with. plus itl save you blaming your misses again if its in the car.

that wont wash … don’t you keep a record of your drivers licence :wink:

Conor:
Under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act there is a legal requirement to identify, for the police, the name of the person driving the vehicle when it is alleged that a road traffic offence has been committed. It is the registered keepers duty to respond and you can be charged for failing to.

The penalty is a maximum fine of £1000, 6 penalty points or a driving ban.

If you name another driver when you know they weren’t and it comes to light the offence is then ramped up to Attempting to Pervert The Course of Justice and in the case of this happening with motoring offences judges have been taking a very hard stance on it and giving out prison time as a matter of course.

By naming more than one driver you are not failing to respond. The camera partnership can’t pursue more than one person for one offence.
It may bring your record keeping as a company into question though.

suggested scams like this!! it is little wonder the haulage industry has a bad name

bu my point is,if you are trading as a limited company…you can take a fine if you wish instead of disclosing the driver.BUT YOU WONT GET ANY POINTS ON YOUR LICENCE.

People who fail to identify the driver are getting big fines AND POINTS on their licence here in Hull on a weekly basis

dieseldog999:
bu my point is,if you are trading as a limited company…you can take a fine if you wish instead of disclosing the driver.

No, you get a fine, points or a ban. The person who would get the points or ban would be the company secretary. Limited companies still have people who are liable and it is usually the company secretary or officers of the company who get to carry the can.

plus theres always the…( jakobski rottakockoff ,69 nowhere street,pick your own town in Bulgaria) was working for me for 3 days till he disappeared etcetc

UK immigration and employment law require you to keep a record of their entitlement to work so they’d just ask you to prove you’d checked they were entitled and no proof then they can choose whether to do you for attempting to pervert the course of justice or not.

if you trade as a limited company and do not disclose the name of the driver and can afford the fine,then you cannot get points on your licence,as the registered owner has no licence to start with.

Points and bans can be awarded to people without driving licenses. They get applied as soon as they get one so you’d never be able to apply for a licence without getting them.

So the supplying of 2 drivers details it seems flummoxes the system in place, lol And in the circumstances where vehicles are mulitmanned the employer has no way of knowing which of the drivers in said vehicle was at the wheel as it triggered the scammer, nor could a court reasonably expect an employer to know or keep such records of who was driving apart from supplying the 2 or more drivers names who were assigned that vehicle at the time, in particular non tacho vehicles

And as for speed cammeras they are no more than revenue generators, In particular on managed motorways, where temp restricions are left in place longer than needed,or no need for the restriction in speed in the first place , and roadworks where no work is taking place at the time the scammera was triggered so imo if there is a loophole that saves paying the parasites then it should be exploited to the hilt

tommy t:
So the supplying of 2 drivers details it seems flummoxes the system in place, lol And in the circumstances where vehicles are mulitmanned the employer has no way of knowing which of the drivers in said vehicle was at the wheel as it triggered the scammer, nor could a court reasonably expect an employer to know or keep such records of who was driving apart from supplying the 2 or more drivers names who were assigned that vehicle at the time, in particular non tacho vehicles

And as for speed cammeras they are no more than revenue generators, In particular on managed motorways, where temp restricions are left in place longer than needed,or no need for the restriction in speed in the first place , and roadworks where no work is taking place at the time the scammera was triggered so imo if there is a loophole that saves paying the parasites then it should be exploited to the hilt

as for the vehicle with no tacho fitted in the end both drivers would be failing to provide the information so I suppose both could be done technically

I dont see how the camera partnership can issue points to a guy sitting behind a desk who fails to notify them who the driver was, a big fine yes, but definitely no points, as i believe they can only put points on a licence held, and not one that doesnt exist ( maybe the pen pusher doesnt have a licence, as one is not needed to become a T/M )

as I said, the big fines and points are given to people here in Hull on a weekly basis. The points and fine are issued by the courts not the camera vans

legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/172

and yes you can get large fines and POINTS even if you don’t hold a licence so once you get a licence the points will be added .

Driver-Once-More:

bu my point is,if you are trading as a limited company…you can take a fine if you wish instead of disclosing the driver.BUT YOU WONT GET ANY POINTS ON YOUR LICENCE.

People who fail to identify the driver are getting big fines AND POINTS on their licence here in Hull on a weekly basis

not if they are a limited company they are not,as its not possible to put points onto a limited companys licence if they are the owner of the vehicle.they can only be fined,the directors cant be presented with points…hence the entire point of my post. if you are an owner driver registered as a llimited company,you may well get a heavy fine for refusing to name the driver,but you will not get points as the registered owner is a limited company and not an individual.

if you don’t want to go limited as an owner operator,then jacobski roturcockoff from nowhere street bulgria who worked for you for a Cpl of days works well,assuming you have him double manned with clark kent,who lives up the road from jacobski…if in doubt,google some Taliban name plus a proper address in Dublin etc… the paddy government still hate the brits,and are never overly eager to help…best of both worlds… 2 temp drivers,who knows what one was driving at said offence time,and forward the mail back to plod for them to chase up the perpertrator of evil johnny foreigner driver(s) …works well if you just do it…knowing and proving are always 2 different things. :wink:

dieseldog999:

Driver-Once-More:

not if they are a limited company they are not,as its not possible to put points onto a limited companys licence if they are the owner of the vehicle.they can only be fined,the directors cant be presented with points…hence the entire point of my post. if you are an owner driver registered as a llimited company,you may well get a heavy fine for refusing to name the driver,but you will not get points as the registered owner is a limited company and not an individual.

Did you read what Conor and I said?

No, you get a fine, points or a ban. The person who would get the points or ban would be the company secretary. Limited companies still have people who are liable and it is usually the company secretary or officers of the company who get to carry the can.