Speed camera flashed in my face

Hi there,

I was travelling through Gloucester the other day, I was doing 45 down a dual carriageway, the speed limit was 40 and there was only me on the road. The camera on THE OTHER SIDE flashed right in my face.

It wasn’t a Truvelo camera, just a standard speedy and it was not in the central reservation. It was on the other side.

Should I expect a fine? I was under the impression those types of camera could only get you from behind, as it was illegal to flash in your face?

don’t think you’ve got owt to worry about. just watch your speed in future.

It was a badger on the run,they dont half shift when they want to.

Look on the database it’ll tell you what type of camera it was.

i had this done but never heard anything…think it would be a speed awareness course even if it did…im seeing alot more of community speed things not the vans but village volunteers etc :frowning:

Give the road name, and area, and I’ll tell you what it was.

Ken.

Road markings anywhere that you can remember, on your side or t’other?

Had a similar experience in a car on the a48 through Ely, Cardiff in 2002. Old style speed camera, but one the other side of the road flashed. 48 in a 40, around 0400. Seemed as though the beams used by the camera extended across to my carriageway and the camera activated. I didn’t receive a letter asking for my license and some money. I assume it’s too late to get one now?

There’s a one at Ayton on the A1 (northbound) and it regularly flashes at me going southbound! And I don’t speed either!

Wouldn’t worry about it as so far it’s flashed at me 6/7 times and I’ve heard nothing.

Unless there were markings on your side of the road it’s unlikely to result in a successful prosecution.

A colleague of mine got it. You should get it too. It was you not camera that was speeding.

These Gatso speed cameras are only type approved for detecting speed of vehicles travelling away from them, not towards them, although technically they can still detect speeding vehicles going “the wrong way”.

When they used real rolls of film some of them would flash speeders going both ways when they ran out of film, just to make people slow down. They can also go a bit demented in their old age and randomly flash for no reason. I think most of them are now digital so I don’t know if they still do this.

Bottom line is, if you were travelling towards it and it flashed you, you won’t have a ticket.

Lankytim:
These Gatso speed cameras are only type approved for detecting speed of vehicles travelling away from them, not towards them, although technically they can still detect speeding vehicles going “the wrong way”.

When they used real rolls of film some of them would flash speeders going both ways when they ran out of film, just to make people slow down. They can also go a bit demented in their old age and randomly flash for no reason. I think most of them are now digital so I don’t know if they still do this.

Bottom line is, if you were travelling towards it and it flashed you, you won’t have a ticket.

A while back, driving out of Birmingham on that horrible bit of A38 through Edgbaston, about 4 in the morning, was in a group of half a dozen or so vehicles and as we drove past a Gatso facing towards us it went nuts and must’ve flashed about a dozen times. Absolutely blinding.

Mind you, certainly no worse than following an ambulance with its blues on, down an unlit road for miles!

urbanfox:

Lankytim:

A while back, driving out of Birmingham on that horrible bit of A38 through Edgbaston, about 4 in the morning, was in a group of half a dozen or so vehicles and as we drove past a Gatso facing towards us it went nuts and must’ve flashed about a dozen times. Absolutely blinding.

Mind you, certainly no worse than following an ambulance with its blues on, down an unlit road for miles!

You a cash for crash lawyer :wink:

You get lit up if you’re in lane 2 in a wagon at catthorpe road works going m1 to m6 north, happened to me twice, just avoiding the muppetry joining from the A14. Not had anything through yet, it’s a bit on top lighting your face up if it’s dark, they’re bloody bright too.

Silver_Surfer:
You get lit up if you’re in lane 2 in a wagon at catthorpe road works going m1 to m6 north, happened to me twice, just avoiding the muppetry joining from the A14. Not had anything through yet, it’s a bit on top lighting your face up if it’s dark, they’re bloody bright too.

How does that happen? The speed cameras there are the “average speed” type that don’t flash…

I had a speed camera flashed in my face today on the A10 about 3/4 mile south of the M25, it was in the middle of the carriageway, i was northbound camera facing south, after it went off i looked in my mirror, there was a transit getting a shift on southbound.

Roymondo:

Silver_Surfer:

How does that happen? The speed cameras there are the “average speed” type that don’t flash…

Average speed cameras don’t flash as Roymondo states, agreed.
The light you talk of “silver surfer” may be the light that is illuminated across the carriage way to enable/assist the average speed camera to read number plates at night. They also use infra red to snap plates.
Agree, the light is very intense, and could be interpreted as a flash.