Special vehicle classification

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could clarify thie following?

On the travelling fair, most lorries are classified as ‘Special vehicle’ on the V5 document. This is to do with the fact that they are not carring loads for commercial return and carry fixed generators among other reasons.

Benefits of this classification include MOT exemption, no need for an operators licence and same road fund licence as cars.

What is not clear however is what licence is need to to drive vehicles of this class.

I have class 2 so it doesn’t concern me but several other people I know are driving big (30 odd ton) lorries/loads on their car licence, saying they don’t need a LGV licence.

DSA and DVLA can’t seem to clarify all this. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Can’t see them listed here (although I may have missed it):

dvla.gov.uk/drivers/special_ … ents_f.htm

It seems to me that whenever ‘exemption’ is mentioned ie tacho, O licence etc people seem to think this automatically includes driver licences.

Can’t see them listed here (although I may have missed it):

I can :smiley:

mobile project vehicles - having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes and constructed or adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of;

play or educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment, or

articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition, and the primary purpose of which is used as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary.

[/quote]

Seen these traveling showmen towing a small trailer on the end of an artic… is this legal■■?

Seen these traveling showmen towing a small trailer on the end of an artic… is this legal■■?

It is legal, have at look at this post from a week or two back.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … light=fair