spec lifts

Quick question we have just picked up a new 18t recovery truck since someone nicked are last one at the weekend.
Thing is this one is also fitted with a spec lift for suspended tows and a hiab. But the problem is i only got class2 so can i still use the spec lift or is the boss paying for my class 1.

You can use your class 2 or the whole recovery industry would be class 1.

i’d say he’s coughing up for your class 1, but cieranc your man. are you using it for recovery or transport? if it’s transport i can’t see how they’re legal as trailers with a gross over 750kg need to braked.

Spot on.
Check your licence, can you tow a trailer? A car loaded on the spec becomes a trailer. It can be a minefield trying to interpret what you can or can’t tow as a combination. We’ve spent a long time trawling the legislation on this, taking advice from the Police, VOSA, DVLA, DfT. One of our lads has a class 2 at the moment but can only tow 750kg, so he doesn’t tow anything for us until he’s passed his class 1 (next week hopefully).

As Steveyboy says, there is an exemption from trailer braking regs for recovery vehicles (registered, taxed and operated as recovery). If its for haulage/transporting/deliveries, then no braking exemption applies, and the ‘trailer’ must be braked if over 750kgs.

I’ll point out here that the VOSA go off gvw’s, not the actual unladen weight. So if you got a Ford Focus on the spec, in their eyes you’re towing an 1800kg trailer, even though you’re only actually lifting around 700kgs.

I’ll also just add that what I’ve just put is my/our companies interpretation of the law. You must check for yourself and be satisfied you’re doing things legally. One thing I can guarantee is that

stagedriver:
You can use your class 2 or the whole recovery industry would be class 1.

is ■■■■■■■■.

Other than the Axiam MicroCar, I don’t think there are any cars available in the UK under 750kgs. Even Smart Cars weight 900 kgs these days.

Unless you back end lift Robin Reliants :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replys the boss has been doing some research into this and no one will give a straight answer its all very grey.
So were thinking the best option is just do class one to save any hassel. Im just happy i got a new motor “well nearly new 13 year old” slide back body specc lift and a monster of a crane. Its off through test on tuesday morning then bit if luck off to the paint shop for a respay.