Spec-lift question

Hi all.

Can anyone answer this question. My mate has a class 2 licence and works for a motor auctions and they are offering to train him up on a 6 car transporter that’s fitted with a spec-lift. Can he drive them legally if he doesn’t use the spec lift?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107675&p=1659215&hilit=spec+lift#p1659215
I aint gonna troll through this but your question is prob answered a here

nick2008:
Recovery vehicle Spec lift question - #16 by onlyalan - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

thanks for your reply. I trawled the thread and still feel none the wiser. He won’t be using the spec-lift but can he drive the vehicle if it has one fitted? Or is the vehicle classed as a class 1?

merchantofdoom:

nick2008:
Recovery vehicle Spec lift question - #16 by onlyalan - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

thanks for your reply. I trawled the thread and still feel none the wiser. He won’t be using the spec-lift but can he drive the vehicle if it has one fitted? Or is the vehicle classed as a class 1?

That’s the problem nothing being clear …
Prob as its not actually in use its not a class 1, much the same as if your driving a tractor unit only its not a class 1 and can be driven with a cat C licence.
the same could be said for a vehicle that has a drawbar (wag and drag ) no trailer then its a cat C … if that makes sense.

Yes he can use it and he can even use the spec lift as long as anything he tows weighs 750kgs or less. Just because a vehicle has the capability of towing, doesn’t mean you need a towing category on your licence to drive it.

m1cks:
Yes he can use it and he can even use the spec lift as long as anything he tows weighs 750kgs or less. Just because a vehicle has the capability of towing, doesn’t mean you need a towing category on your licence to drive it.

that’s what I thought and my working on the reasoning with drawbars …but its always nice to have a 2nd answer …
Thanks M1cks having done class 1 donkeys ago ive never been in that situation…

As said - spec lift is same as a towbar for licence purposes no +E required if not used for any trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM

ROG:
As said - spec lift is same as a towbar for licence purposes no +E required if not used for any trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM

Question Rog a spec lift is not a trailer its a means to tow , so a car is not a trailer its a recovered or towed vehicle . so what if the towed car is over 750kgs ■■?