Speaking/learning a new language(s)

Does anyone on here speak another language or learning ? I am quite keen on learning 1 , I’ve read Dutch is meant to be easiest for English to learn as a lot of the words are similar etc … If anyone does speak 1 or is learning , what is the best way? I’ve had a look on google at some sites etc but most are blogs,I think a listening 1 would be a good way, to hear how the words are spoken rather than trying to just guess lol

I understand french quite well, which i picked up living with 3 french flatmates for 6 months. Can read it ok but can’t really speak or write it very well. Been listening to spanish linguaphone in the lorry but not really picking it up very good.

Snowgo:
I understand french quite well, which i picked up living with 3 french flatmates for 6 months. Can read it ok but can’t really speak or write it very well. Been listening to spanish linguaphone in the lorry but not really picking it up very good.

Where did you get the Spanish ? And is it just the basic phrases they teach you ? I don’t know/understand any lol

German is a good language.
It looks and sounds like it’s got ■■■■■■■■. :laughing:

Smoggie89:

Snowgo:

Where did you get the Spanish ? And is it just the basic phrases they teach you ? I don’t know/understand any lol

Downloaded the spanish onto my ipod, probably be able to get cd’s from your local library if you don’t want to pay for them.

Yes I speak French and a little German.Did French at school and always kept it up.Best way to learn is to live in the country once you think you can speak their language.It is then you really learn!

I speak ok French, and basic German. I’m currently learning Dutch, mainly by using the ‘Laura speaks Dutch’ podcasts, reading Dutch children’s books from the library, and practising by collaring as many Dutch drivers as I can when I meet them! Every one I’ve spoken to so far has been more than happy to help out, and is usually surprised that I’m learning their language.

Gary

I use the Duolingo app for iPhone.

Try byki.com. Does any language or even more than 1 if you want. It shows you words and phrases, then speaks them to you.
Its free and safe, had it for 2 years now.

Hi Smoggie.Just curious but why do you want to learn Another language,is it for the job or just for your own interest.I speak Dutch[lived there for 30yrs],moderate German and French[my wife was Quebecois].Now i am fairly good with Swedish as i live here now.Obviously the best way to learn any language is to live and work in the country of choice.Most languages are not too hard to learn depending on the incentive[economic,romantic,etc].Also it depends on the feeling you have toward the language,culture,people of the country of your choice.Good luck.Mike

Learn the language of the country you visit most often, I used to get the old teach yourself cassettes with basic book a few weeks before hand for a bit of a heads up, and listen to the local radio of that country as I was driving through it.
The things to learn first up are basic counting, handy for pallets and boxes, load unload, left right, up down, forward reverse, roundabout, traffic light, and short phrases like a basic asking question, are all good places to, start.
Learning how to ask for train ticket to Paris isn’t usually handy when your driving a truck and either is knowing what ■■■ the green door is.
Having a basic understanding of the language of the country you are going to will give you a fantastic advantage over drivers that don’t. Remember if you are in a foreign country then your a guest and the foreigner. And their laws and rules apply to you as well.

Jeff…

trying to learn Bulgarian so at least I can talk to the in laws and swear at the mrs :wink: :wink: :wink:

Trying to learn Finnish but after going on holiday to Belgium I’d like to learn Dutch.

I started seriously learning French last sep (2012) I go to college once a week, listen to french radio on lw, RTL, EUROPE1 and France inter are all on there, and if yr around kent area u pick up fm signals aswell!
Picked up a bad habit of reading french and translating it into English in my head instantly but apparently this is normal, ive given myself 5 yrs to be fluent, although if I lived there id say a yr lol, so much easier if u immerse yrself.

I met some Cloggies on holiday, they could speak French, Spanish, German and Italian when I ask why they speak so many languages they said " cos no bugger learns Dutch ". It always seems a very throaty language to me, I would need a lot of locketts to speak it for any length of time.

I’d like to learn German, no idea where to start…

A good friend of mine learned to speak fluent French after spending a couple of years in a French nick. It was a bit extreme though, especially as he was deported upon his release and was not allowed to return :open_mouth:

hutpik:
Hi Smoggie.Just curious but why do you want to learn Another language,is it for the job or just for your own interest.I speak Dutch[lived there for 30yrs],moderate German and French[my wife was Quebecois].Now i am fairly good with Swedish as i live here now.Obviously the best way to learn any language is to live and work in the country of choice.Most languages are not too hard to learn depending on the incentive[economic,romantic,etc].Also it depends on the feeling you have toward the language,culture,people of the country of your choice.Good luck.Mike

Just out of interest , something to do lol , I thought I could get some of the speaking lessons and play them in the truck to kill some time, as I/we spend so long in them driving it gets boring sometimes. (Especially going over the m62 a couple of times a day lol) , cheers for replies

hutpik:

Would possibly be for future use aswell , I’ve never been to a Scandinavian country yet but I am interested in them , the places seem so nice to live, nice scenery , laid back people etc … So could Learn the basics and if a move happend I wouldn’t be on the back foot straight away

Pimpdaddy:
I’d like to learn German, no idea where to start…

I started early on in life when I was in the army,stationed in Germany and had a German girlfriend.
After leaving the army,and the girlfriend,did a spell UK tramping before getting on to middle east work.Spent a lot of time with German and Austrian drivers,and managed to get to the stage where I can hold a conversation.
Now in my retirement,I attend a local Anglo German club where we speak English or German or a mixture.