Spanner monkeys GRRRRRR :(((((

I’ve had a spare wagon since thursday last, went to pick mine up today from Pelican near Whitwood, it’s had summat done to the head at last!!! (losing coolant) and the EBS warning sorted :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , I did my usual checks before departing especially the cab tilt and set off on my merry way, gets to depot, turns it off so I could find someone to unlock gates. The flippin thing wouldn’t start again then someone noticed a huge pool of diesel beneath the thing :open_mouth: . It left me stranded across a not so busy road to the bemusement of a couple of artic drivers (who had to go ito our yard, turn round and come out round the other side of me, apologies if one of them was you). Despite all H + S regs I tilted cab (not many office bods left about at 4pm) and found someone hadn’t tightened the injector pipe, it could’ve been sorted with an adjustable spanner but alas I don’t carry tools and none are kept at work (if they were we wouldn’t be able to use them anyhow), fitter sorts it in 2 minutes flat when he turns up :smiley: . Gaffer was more bothered about the 45-50 litres of diesel i used for a 17 mile journey :open_mouth: . I’m a bit embarrassed though at not spotting t’leak during my checks.

I wouldnt worry about it, if it wasnt leaking diesel when you picked it up and you didnt smell it or see it, how can you be blamed?

Normally if it is a bust injector pipe you will know and so will anyone following you.

Tell the gaffer to send the fuel bill here…
:smiley:

Yeah i wouldnt worry about not spotting it. I had a Hire stralis for a bit, and no leaks or anything, but one day when i got back to depot i could smell diesel, no leaks from tank or anything :question:

once cab was up, i started the engine and there was a hole that was leaking derv once was pressurised :open_mouth: Quick blast to dealer and fixed in, oh a bit longer then a jiffy :imp:

ah well if were all spanner monkeys i shall stay in my tree next time i get called to repair you and grunt accordingly lol…spose a monkey would be preferable to being a pelican on this occasion though!!!

wasnt your fault, the diesel wouldnt have started pumping through until the engine fired up

dont work for pelican me i got my own workshop just down road from our friend here and do loadsa call out work.

Westpark, it wasn’t actually you that came out and fixed it was it■■?

not this time it was the lad who works for me…i had the honour of the one that ran out of diesel just outside yard other week though

Well tell him ta very much, quick service. Job done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Thought their was only us had problems with pelican. Keep well away we did!!!

appreciated…one does try.

I haven’t heard the best reports about them, we deal with Fraikin who then pass some work they can’t do onto Pelican, theres one place in Leeds nr the old YEB HQ who don’t change filters/tyres when there supposed to have.

It’s strange & sad how a formerly respected company like Pelican Engineering becomes an also ran.

I dont know the reasons, During the 80’s and 90’s when they held the Foden franchise in Rothwell, they could never do enough to help us. We used them for Multilift parts, supply and repair in those days.

I know they ended up with Knottingley Trucks and Sudden Accidents, maybe that was the last straw. It cant have helped when the last two major British manufacturers closed their factories.

Some Good History Here