spanish routes

just wondering why so many brits use burgos from irun as route to madrid when its quicker, shorter and flatter to come down AP15 to Cintruenigo then take CL101 to Almazan then N111 to Medinacelli. loads of good restaurants with good parking and no commies on the route to ■■■■■ your curtains

Victors

lots of the lads only like autovia but if you’re heavy pamplona cintruenigo almazan to N2 is nearly half an hour quicker, also don’t miss Valverde, one of best restaurants in Spain with showers in rooms upstairs,many a happy weekend there,hic :smiling_imp:

N1 is for light loads & tourists, with the exception of Miguels, Victors/ Patricias (better grub) & Fernandos :smiling_imp:

Did the Almazan route many times going south after drops around Logrono and Mendavia as the next drop was normally Camarma de Estruellas then Madrid it was the obvious way to go and have parked up many times on that route without any problems from curtain slashers.

A considerably more scenic and plesant drive than Burgos-Madrid and a far more logical route if your delivering north of Madrid, only used it on the way home a couple of times (we normally re-load Valencia) but when running fully freighted it makes a lot of sense.

Ross.

welshboyinspain:
just wondering why so many brits use burgos from irun as route to madrid when its quicker, shorter and flatter to come down AP15 to Cintruenigo then take CL101 to Almazan then N111 to Medinacelli. loads of good restaurants with good parking and no commies on the route to ■■■■■ your curtains

Gets my vote as I use that route all the time, a more interesting drive and fewer hills and when the road improvements are completed on the Irun Sunbilla section it will be even better, though probably busier.

FLIP:
lots of the lads only like autovia but if you’re heavy pamplona cintruenigo almazan to N2 is nearly half an hour quicker, also don’t miss Valverde, one of best restaurants in Spain with showers in rooms upstairs,many a happy weekend there.

Fully agree the food and wine are always first class, though the external appearance doesn’t do it any favours.

Never knew they had showers., so will make a mental note.

valverde is good but unfortunately shut on sat. if you want good cheap food, good parking, supermarket and cashpoints and bars a plenty try almazan. south bound enter town to t junction turn left and park in repsol garage. north take exit for poligono industrial to rounabout then 1st exit and repsol on right

When I go through Irun I come off at junction 1 or whatever its called and go down the National road.

Somewhat off-topic I’m afraid, but what are the speed limits for HGV’s on single carriageway out-of-town roads in Spain? I only wonder as I rarely see lorries doing less than 90km/h (apart from the odd ancient wagon which can’t achieve that speed!) on the vast and clear lovely roads they have out there.

I do envy you guys who get to drive out there for a living. I drive down to a place near Gandia just south of Valencia every year for holidays (no, I’m not content with driving the rest of the year for work, so I do it on holiday too!). I rarely use motorways and always try and find an adventurous route. I find that wherever I go, I can pull into any roadside bar and eat lots of excellent food for very reasonable money, although that was before this financial buggerup. Still I’d rather be eating Tapas rather than a burger van on an industrial estate in Watford despite the price. :slight_smile:

manowar:
Somewhat off-topic I’m afraid, but what are the speed limits for HGV’s on single carriageway out-of-town roads in Spain? I only wonder as I rarely see lorries doing less than 90km/h (apart from the odd ancient wagon which can’t achieve that speed!) on the vast and clear lovely roads they have out there.
:slight_smile:

It’s 80km/h, but as you say no-one seems to stick to it with 90km/h being the norm.

Harry Monk:
When I go through Irun I come off at junction 1 or whatever its called and go down the National road.

Just after you cross the border, come off at the first exit, junction 1 and go back under the motorway and follow the N121A in the direction of Pamplona. First time I used it I thought it was a mistake as it is a bit tight in places when passing another truck, but it has been upgraded through the years. A recommended route, especially when heavy.

Harry Monk:

Just after you cross the border, come off at the first exit, junction 1 and go back under the motorway and follow the N121A in the direction of Pamplona. First time I used it I thought it was a mistake as it is a bit tight in places when passing another truck, but it has been upgraded through the years. A recommended route, especially when heavy.

squarepeg:

Harry Monk:

Also, decent food & cheap (ish) fuel at the Contixa garage at Sunbilla.

Ross.

squarepeg:

Harry Monk:

Just make sure you listen to the radio because for the next 18 months there will be regular temporary closures as they blast their way through the rocks to widen the last stretch just before you get to Irun

a few views from that route

yuppie:

Slightly different view from along the route yesterday and yes it was as cold as it looks.

squarepeg:

yuppie:

Slightly different view from along the route yesterday and yes it was as cold as it looks.

i must have passed you as i drove from sunbilla to bailen on sunday! when i passed olvega was -11c!!!

welshboyinspain:
i must have passed you as i drove from sunbilla to bailen on sunday! when i passed olvega was -11c!!!

I was heading south also and it didn’t get much warmer.