Spain in a van

Hi guys iv tried the search but didnt get any where. I was just wondering if there are any odd rules in spain/france for a transit. Im shipping out on monday nite to caen from pompy then driving to madrid and back again via calais. Is it just normal road rules there or anything funny thanks.

I can’t think of anything out of the ordinary other than perhaps that there can be a lower speed limit in France during poor weather, fog, etc. These are indicated by speed limit signs with a plate beneath them saying “Par temps de bruillard”. Other than that I can’t think of anything although others might.

yeh thats what i tought but wasnt too sure… in the process of lookin up hostels etc now cause wanna save as much night out money as i can :smiley: thanks for the quick reply mate

Exactly same rules as a car regarding speed etc.etc.

They might start to get a bit excited if you tell the Police that you have come non stop from the the top of France to the Bottom but apart from that exactly same laws as a car.

nah wont be able to one hit it mate as meeting a porter down there so cant arrive a few days early lol… also is it legal to sleep across the seats at night time like the good old days haha…

acceptme:
yeh thats what i tought but wasnt too sure… in the process of lookin up hostels etc now cause wanna save as much night out money as i can :smiley: thanks for the quick reply mate

There’s loads of cheap places to stay in France, the “Formule 1” chain of hotels for example- they are often automated at night and you check in with a credit card and get a room key (electronic) in return from the machine. They are a bit spooky in that you can stay the night without ever seeing another person, even a member of staff, but the ones I have stayed in have always been clean, if a little austere.

yeh i saw them mate but trying to save money on this 1 and i dont have a credit card :smiley: but im sure ill find a youth hostel and it will be grand… jst another advenutre in the life of me not knowin what im doing lol

No probs, they are called an “Auberge de Jeunesse” in France.

Never stayed in one there, but stayed in loads of YHA places when I was younger in the UK.

acceptme:
nah wont be able to one hit it mate as meeting a porter down there so cant arrive a few days early lol… also is it legal to sleep across the seats at night time like the good old days haha…

Don’t know if its legal or not but I used to sleep across the seats when I was over there (most weeks) and never had a problem. for a bit of added security I always used to park in front of the shop so the van could be seen while I was in the land of nod.

a good idea that… goin too put a blanket around the windows as well to make curtains but thinkin of jst takin off a panel to get into the back… il let u kknow how i get one cheers

acceptme:
yeh i saw them mate but trying to save money on this 1 and i dont have a credit card :smiley: but im sure ill find a youth hostel and it will be grand… jst another advenutre in the life of me not knowin what im doing lol

I think you can pay cash for them if you arrive early enough. Personally I’d rather pay a few quid extra and use the next stage up which is an Etap as you get a shower and toilet in your room. Loadsof these chains of hotels in France most just off almost every Autoroute junction.
Also found cheap hotels in Spain just off the motorway network, stayed in a good one just North of Madrid for only 20 euro a night. :smiley:

thats where im goin mush to madrid… iv a friend i can stay with once i get there so it will be all good… Quite looking forward to it as done europe in everything now except on the bus and train i was a passenger… :laughing: :laughing: cheers for all ur help

You may need spare glasses if wear them for driving.Law in Spain.Never seen in being enforced.Hiviz jacket,if broken down,on the road side,two warning triangles.Now new in France,for two triangles and hi viz jacket,for breakdowns.Be carefull of time you entered a toll road,as they can average the speed from your toll ticket.

Well, you have a good safe trip then.

not gone yet lol im shipping out monday nite at 8pm on the pompy to caen ferry if any1 is on it… im takin the lump some of 20boxes out there yep a whole 20boxes lol… been given 6days to do the trip too so i can see a nice day off been had as well… might do a diary about it if i can remember my photobucket account lol

Have a nice trip and yes we would like to read a write up, and if possible some pictures, thanks ,

acceptme:
not gone yet lol im shipping out monday nite at 8pm on the pompy to caen ferry if any1 is on it… im takin the lump some of 20boxes out there yep a whole 20boxes lol… been given 6days to do the trip too so i can see a nice day off been had as well… might do a diary about it if i can remember my photobucket account lol

Think you will find ferry sailing time is 2330 arriving Caen at 0630

well another thing my boss has gotten wrong lol… he told me 8 oh well dont bother me im been paid from 7.30am till the boat sails so roll on the money :smiley:

acceptme:
well another thing my boss has gotten wrong lol… he told me 8 oh well dont bother me im been paid from 7.30am till the boat sails so roll on the money :smiley:

Checkout the times here

brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk … ayear=2009

Has he booked you a cabin for the night ?

Beware, I did that night crossing once and the shop & other stuff shut about an hour, no more, after sailing so watch out for that.