Spain and back van or truck

Hi Guys, sometime soon I will be moving my Dad back from Alicante way on. He doesn’t want to bring everything home so I have a couple of options. Take a transit and fill it, or either take a 3.5t or a 7.5 ton and bring even more stuff back and maybe sell extra here. I will be hiring the vehicles and I am hoping someone might have done a similar run and can advise me of the pitfalls and costings etc.
Cheers

Foxstein:
Take a transit and fill it, or either take a 3.5t or a 7.5 ton

Most large Transits are 3.5t.

LWB sprinters are 3.5t and can be dont take much to fill (they will carry about 1t). I would get a quote from removals firm first and then go from there. Another option could be just to sell the furniture, box up personal stuff and send that through a groupage firm. A van wont be cheap to hire for how long you will need it then there will be ferry tickets and the dreaded motion lotion wont be cheap either. I think you need to do some customs paperwork as well for personal effects.

We did a 7.5 t to the South of France about 8 years ago now.

Didn’t do any paper work and didn’;t get stopped, so we might have been lucky, get some proper advice on this.

The hire plus fuel was much less than paying for a removal company.

Just need to find a company that will do foreign hire too.

Good luck

skids:
I think you need to do some customs paperwork as well for personal effects.

The stuff is only coming from Spain, so no need for any customs paperwork.

Have a look at www.J-hire.co.uk as they have an office in the uk and near Alicante and do one way hire… :smiley:

Good luck

I would check on the paperwork, I’m not talking t forms, I’m sure you have to do a manifest and declaration of some kind.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

I may have two vans down Fuengirola in may,so could do you a very good price for bringing it back in,wheres it going back to? PM me if you wish with prospective dates and quantities cheers Carl

skids:
I would check on the paperwork, I’m not talking t forms, I’m sure you have to do a manifest and declaration of some kind.

It’s his fathers belongings and he will be with him in the vehicle, therefore no need for a manifest whatsoever. If it was being done hire & reward, we would require one for our benefit, but even then it isn’t a customs requirement, a delivery note would suffice. If it was coming from outside the EC then thats an entirely different matter.

some removal companys are offering ridiculously low backload rates. Matthew James of Kent are on £1.50 per cubic feet. I doubt you would get it done cheaper than that though its worth phoning round. A luton transit holds approx 500 cubic feet of effects

if you hire a van, watch the excess milage charge!

cheers for all the replies so far guys, very helpful. Have a lot more options than I could think of ,thanks.
“Skids” mentioned using a groupage firm as an option, how does that work?

Groupage is a load made up of part loads. All the small drops will go to a warehouse for distribution, the bulk of the load will bemade up of 1 or more drops. I would not send furniture this way as it will more than likely get damaged, just boxed up personal posessions.