Southern Cornwall, is it worth it?

Just been holidaying in cornwall and stayed with some family.

One of the lads who’s around 20 was asking me about the possibility getting into HGV driving and if it was worth it.

Now I gave him the lowdown on all the usual like funding your own training and nobody wanting to give you a start at 21 but it’s not an area I’m familiar with.

Can anybody who knows that neck of the wood tell me if there is much in the way of work around?, are the any companies worth trying?, and has he got a realistic chance of getting a career off the ground?.

Also does anybody know if the young driver training scheme is still running?.

Thanks
Neilf

Reckon Semtex would be the man to ask, but from what little I know of the area pay will be low, probally not to many large fleets, but I think there is quite a bit of tipper work. However the wages are probally relative to other jobs in the area and maybe it would be one more skill that might make the difference between job or no job.

muckles:
Reckon Semtex would be the man to ask, but from what little I know of the area pay will be low, probally not to many large fleets, but I think there is quite a bit of tipper work. However the wages are probally relative to other jobs in the area and maybe it would be one more skill that might make the difference between job or no job.

Depends how far south in Cornwall you are, and what you are prepared to do.

Class 2 was definatly “tipper” terratory, however there is not a lot of tipper work going at the moment due to companys downsizing from the A30 ending
That leaves skips and builders merchants.

Class 1 wise, there is work. Conway Bailey take on new drivers. Tramping on fridge work. A lot of the others want experience, Westfields do.

Agency is hit and miss

The thing with down here, anything going up country is usually someones backload.

If you are prepared to maybe locate nearer Plymouth, or commute and “tramp” things are a little better.

At least we haven’t had the polish invasion (only flower pickers) down here.
Wages are quite low, although getting better slowly. (average class 2 tipper £7ph, I know of others paying less)

There is a chance but it is even harder than in other areas for newbie’s
just take a look at the jobcentre site to see what jobs are like down here.

Funding can be available but again you have to hunt for it. There was a member on here (Rookietrucker) who got his funding for class 2 thru the local regeneration scheme.

If you need anymore help, don’t hesitate to PM me!
Stuart