Southern bulk

Hi
Sorry about the late reply but googled southern bulk and this came up
My dad worked for them for years from southern bulk, then southern bulk traffic services when curly left and then southern storage and transport witch was started when they lost the Guinness contract and stopped doing bulk work (I think) and Mike Thomas still runs that now.

The big bloke in the 8 wheeler was Dave berry but sadly he died of a heart attack some years ago

I’ll ask my dad for some pictures when I see him

Mick Thorne is working in sittingbourne for Nichols the red lorries

Does anyone have any pictures at all?
My Grandad and my Dad used to drive for them many moons ago and wondered if anybody remembered southern bulk and if i could get hold of any pictures,
Thanks

No body?

Hi all i was a subbie for a few years and also drove for E.J.Thoamas of Lasham before they became southern bulk traffic.They had that daf 2300 new when i was there we all had f86 volvo’s except fred he had the bedford tm and pulled the tank. A lad from basingstoke had the daf new after they took him off night’s that he had done for years. at that time curly hascle was in charge i follow’d him there from christopher hills at faringdon.mick thorn was on there and a big lad from alton always had an 8 wheeler but i cant remember his name.i dont think i have any pics but will have a look. :laughing:

When I get a spare year I will dig some out
We did some subbieing for them.

tribsa:

Would be nice to see some,

Gerbil, Was the big guys name Norman Hawker, they called him hairy bear on the cb,
Fred Lock is my grandad,
My Dad also used to work for sothern bulk, Mike Everley,
I remember Culy, he use to give me money for sweets when i was a kid!
He went from there to running surebulk at shoreham docks,with a guy i only remember as being called big mac :smiley:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all i was a subbie for a few years and also drove for E.J.Thoamas of Lasham before they became southern bulk traffic.They had that daf 2300 new when i was there we all had f86 volvo’s except fred he had the bedford tm and pulled the tank. A lad from basingstoke had the daf new after they took him off night’s that he had done for years. at that time curly hascle was in charge i follow’d him there from christopher hills at faringdon.mick thorn was on there and a big lad from alton always had an 8 wheeler but i cant remember his name.i dont think i have any pics but will have a look. :laughing:

The big lad could have been Graham Lovell, He is parked next to Mick Thorne in the previous picture of the two volvos

Hi all yes i new graham lovell from down near stonehenge but the big bloke i was talking about drove the only 8 wheeler owned by thomas’s i think his name might have been mike berry but cant be sure .when i say he was big i mean 20 stone plus had blond hair and was always happy :laughing:

I will ask dad but I think Mike Berry was into his bikes but has sadley gone on.

gerbil sb152:
Hi all yes i new graham lovell from down near stonehenge but the big bloke i was talking about drove the only 8 wheeler owned by thomas’s i think his name might have been mike berry but cant be sure .when i say he was big i mean 20 stone plus had blond hair and was always happy :laughing:

Cant say i remember that name but i was only a boy back then :laughing:
I remember an 8 wheeler tho, pretty sure it was a volvo f8 and my grandad drove it for a while,

Someone told me that Mick Thorne was involved in a big accident a number of years back and ended up in a wheelchair but im not sure how true that is,

Anymore pitures or anybody remember any of there drivers?

In 78 EJ Thomas brought their 86’s and F7’s in for service at Princes Millbrook Road, but I dont remember any of the drivers. Some were on contract maintenance, the trucks not the drivers!!!

tribsa:

Any luck with any photos?