Southampton Docks & VBS

I have a chance to do a few weeks work on containers from Soton. Can anyone give me any info on the docks and the VBS system and how it works, what you have to do etc. I drove past the docks the other day and it’s changed from what I remember. You used to go in one big entrance and park up to get your paperwork, now it’s all fenced off! :question: :question:

Its pretty simple. Get a booking from your boss. He will give you an 8 digit booking number and a time. Turn up during said hour, got into the pre gate (on left when entering the dock). Stop at the computer after the scanners (just the frames, no actual scanner anymore), key in reg then 8 digit reference. It will give you a lane, 1,2,3 or empty park. If its 1 or 2, drive around the left of the buildings, along between the fences to the hut at the end. Get paperwork here. If it says 3 or empty park, keep right and park in the lanes then walk around the fence to the hut for paperwork. For area 1 & 2 turn right out of pre gate, straight over the roundabout then left before the next roundabout into container park. At first barrier enter reg. It will say proceed to either area 1 or 2 slot allocation point. Area 1 is the first ones you will come across. Stop at the next computer and enter reg. Confirm the slot it allocates and reverse onto said slot. Do your twist locks before you back in. Get out when the straddle turns up. When you box on, park in the green bays and enter seal number in the kiosk. Then head past area 2 to the exit gate. Enter reg at computer before customs shed. The empty park is left out of the pre gate and right after the level crossing. Area 3 is past empty park, round right hand bend, turn first left before offices and the straddle park. Then right at the roundabout. The procedures are the same on every area except the empty park. Don’t get out of your truck in there. Hope that helps

Blimey, that’s simple? :blush:

Looks daunting but I suppose once I’ve been in a couple of times it’s straight forward enough. Many thanks for your help.

Trust me its simple :wink:

Most probably is, it’s just the go here, go here bit! :neutral_face:

Look here.
Theres maps and a video to watch.

Thanks Wildy, I was probably watching that when you posted. Makes it look a bit easier.

jays post was spot on.
it all seems bit daunting at first, but you soon pick it up :slight_smile:

Yep, once I watched the video I saw what he meant. Glad that was available to watch online though!