South Yorkshire Companies

remember smith self drive (Barnsleyreg)

[/url][/album]

Hi Kev.
Cawthorne,Granville Morris,Butterfield and Flouch transport are real blasts from the past.Flouch Transport used to do the big Guinness containers on Albion Reivers out of Liverpool.I remember a driver telling me that he’d come off Cawthornes - Majestic Motors - and gone to Chambler and Illingworths for a rest! Must have been some job with Harry. :laughing:
They tell me there’s a roundabout at Flouch now,wonder why,maybe summat to do with overturned lorries when it was a crossroads. :grimacing:

Hi Alan, My Very first international trip was with a Smiths TK Bedford Cheers Mel

Chris, Flouch Transport was a lad called Kenny ? he used to work for “Warringtons” before starting on his own and his girl friends dad had either the flouch or the dog and partridge. I can picture him now big lad with a beard and I have had a jar or two with him.
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
Chris, Flouch Transport was a lad called Kenny ? he used to work for “Warringtons” before starting on his own and his girl friends dad had either the flouch or the dog and partridge. I can picture him now big lad with a beard and I have had a jar or two with him.
cheers Johnnie

Hi Johnnie, Did you know Sid Butterfield at Warringtons Cheers Mel

coca cola kid:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Hi Johnnie, Did you know Sid Butterfield at Warringtons Cheers Mel

Mel the name rings a bell but I can’t remember for sure but I knew most of their drivers as I lived at Walkley and it was a 5 minute walk down to their yard so handy for a lift the ones I can recall at the moment are Gordon Smith and Billy Chapman but I should recall some more when I have posted as usual :blush:
cheers Johnnie

coca cola kid:
Hi Alan, My Very first international trip was with a Smiths TK Bedford Cheers Mel

like to see a pic of that mel-alan

Chris Webb:
Hi Kev.
Cawthorne,Granville Morris,Butterfield and Flouch transport are real blasts from the past.Flouch Transport used to do the big Guinness containers on Albion Reivers out of Liverpool.I remember a driver telling me that he’d come off Cawthornes - Majestic Motors - and gone to Chambler and Illingworths for a rest! Must have been some job with Harry. :laughing:
They tell me there’s a roundabout at Flouch now,wonder why,maybe summat to do with overturned lorries when it was a crossroads. :grimacing:

Chris,
For anybody that might be interested in a restoration project, there’s one of Flouch’s old Albions round the back of their garage in Penistone. It’s got an aluminium cab with the Guinness headboard, and there’s also another similar cab with it. There’s a special insulated body that they had built for the same contract, but it is from a much heavier chassis than the Albions. As well as these, there’s a Michelotti-cab Scammell Routeman waiting for salvation. It would be a shame if they went to the scrapman. Last time I looked, there was a Volvo F88 and a Leyland Roadtrain rotting away in Granville Morris’s old yard, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the property developers hadn’t cleared the site for housing by now.
The Flouch crossroads (and The Moor Cafe) have indeed been bypassed, a roundabout now joins the Stocksbridge bypass to the Woodhead Road. Just for old times’ sake, they still have the odd accident there, but nowadays it’s usually a rollover instead of the head-on carnage that used to happen in the old days. The pub is now a restaurant, but by all accounts it’s struggling and its days are numbered. The Moor Cafe building is still there, derelict and overgrown but with the name still readable above the door.
Chambler and Illingworth - I know the name, but can’t place them. Where was their base, and what did they run?
Harry Cawthorne, what a character! I could go on about him for ages, maybe some other time,
Kevin.
Kevin.

Hi Kevin.
Chambler and Illingworth were just below Thorpe’s yard at Thurgoland,they ran Atkis in a green livery and had a bit of a reputation for long days and neets.It was your mention of Cawthornes that reminded me of the driver who said he left Majestic Motors and went to Chamblers for a rest. :laughing: Chambler did a lot of work for Hepworths and another company that made those pipes whose name escapes me,I think they were from Denby Dale.
I’ve seen one or two motors overturned in Flouch Transport’s yard in my time,turning right a bit too quick at the crossroads in the Sheffield direction.Was it Granville Morris who had a painting on a wall outside their yard at Millhouse Green or was it somebody else? Somebody sent me a photo of it years ago but i can’t find it,it was on the l/h side going towards Woodhead.He was a nice,jolly bloke who ran the Moor Cafe,no walkers,no hikers,no dogs,no this,no that.I only used it once and that was it.I either used the little cafe at the bottom of Langsett hill or the Robin Hood,below the Dog and Partridge where I’ve had many a dodgy night out.There was another cafe in the Penistone direction,just round a bend but I can’t recall the name.
Talking about dodgy nights out,the local Ministry silent check man was from Penistone,called Nelson,funny how names stick in yer mind,eh? He had plenty of scope to catch me but I never heard owt. :grimacing:

Chris Webb:
Hi Kevin.
Chambler and Illingworth were just below Thorpe’s yard at Thurgoland,they ran Atkis in a green livery and had a bit of a reputation for long days and neets.It was your mention of Cawthornes that reminded me of the driver who said he left Majestic Motors and went to Chamblers for a rest. :laughing: Chambler did a lot of work for Hepworths and another company that made those pipes whose name escapes me,I think they were from Denby Dale.
I’ve seen one or two motors overturned in Flouch Transport’s yard in my time,turning right a bit too quick at the crossroads in the Sheffield direction.Was it Granville Morris who had a painting on a wall outside their yard at Millhouse Green or was it somebody else? Somebody sent me a photo of it years ago but i can’t find it,it was on the l/h side going towards Woodhead.He was a nice,jolly bloke who ran the Moor Cafe,no walkers,no hikers,no dogs,no this,no that.I only used it once and that was it.I either used the little cafe at the bottom of Langsett hill or the Robin Hood,below the Dog and Partridge where I’ve had many a dodgy night out.There was another cafe in the Penistone direction,just round a bend but I can’t recall the name.
Talking about dodgy nights out,the local Ministry silent check man was from Penistone,called Nelson,funny how names stick in yer mind,eh? He had plenty of scope to catch me but I never heard owt. :grimacing:

Chris, the pipeworks at Denby Dale belonged to Naylor Bros, they also have a works at Cawthorne on the A635 and ran a lot of ERFs in the old days, painted in a sandy tan/orange colour. Granville Morris was at the top of Green Road in Penistone centre, the one with the painting on the wall at Millhouse was (I think) Broadbents but I went past a few days ago and half of it has fallen off. - someone put a photo of it somewhere on here, but as usual I can’t find it again,
Kev.

any more on smiths anyone?