South Yorkshire Companies

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre … 3835207377

JE parker sheffield
Be nice to see it restored

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

harrislangfield:
Still in the family!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I worked for F. Langfield at Staincross and then Barugh Green, looks like the doors are from ERF and Leyland, I was a mechanic there.
Colin and Brian Langfield were good to work for.

I also worked at Shaw Carpets on these. Not my pic.

Lovely shot of Shaw Carpets TK, in the white and beige livery. This was at the time I worked in the warehouse at Shaws, 1971-77, during the change from the original green/white/red colour scheme. There were also Dodge K series and Spanish Dodge (Barrieros) tractor units, along with some Mercedes-Benz. I also seem to remember Ford D series vans, and a Bedford CF lwb twin-wheeler. Do you remember the Bedford VAL coach they had for staff transport, and the Scammell Explorer recovery wagon? By the way, there’s a box body used as a store shed outside Station Garage (ex-Booth’s Garage) at Staincross, and until very recently there was another in the field behind the Millers pub at Low Barugh.

I passed Granville Morris’s old yard in Penistone this morning and noticed that the Volvo F89 has gone. That thing has been sat there, decaying, for decades - has it gone for scrap, or has someone taken it on for restoration, or at least for parts? I also noticed that the old Hepworth - liveried w-reg Foden based on Bridge Street seems to have had a bit of a bump, the offside bumper end is missing and there looks to be minor damage to the headlamp/grille panel. It doesn’t seem to have done much work this year, it would be a shame for it to get neglected.

fodenway:
Lovely shot of Shaw Carpets TK, in the white and beige livery. This was at the time I worked in the warehouse at Shaws, 1971-77, during the change from the original green/white/red colour scheme. There were also Dodge K series and Spanish Dodge (Barrieros) tractor units, along with some Mercedes-Benz. I also seem to remember Ford D series vans, and a Bedford CF lwb twin-wheeler. Do you remember the Bedford VAL coach they had for staff transport, and the Scammell Explorer recovery wagon? By the way, there’s a box body used as a store shed outside Station Garage (ex-Booth’s Garage) at Staincross, and until very recently there was another in the field behind the Millers pub at Low Barugh.

I think that was a brand new one built at Northumbrian Metals, Hoyland Common, by the look of the buildings. I used to go up there to fit the autolube system.
The coach you mention was a Bristol, exhaust sounded great.

The Scammel was ex army WW2 bought at auction, did about 3mpg (petrol), top speed about 30mph, we recovered a breakdown from Silverstone and took about 12 hours, didn’t get used after that!

The four wheel 7.5 ton ‘D’ series were all swap bodies, replaced by Bedford TK’s, ‘D’ series artics were replaced by Dodges’ with V8 Perkins, all the vans were Bedford TK except one Dodge bought as an experiment.

Bedford CF’s were used by the sales dept for setting up displays in shops. When I was based at the London Depot, I remember driving one in Piccadilly Circus one night when Shaun Connery pulled up alongside in a Roller, registration was 007 !

I still have a box body used for storage.

Good info there Andy. I remember getting a lift as far as Bristol with one of the night trunk drivers (for the Avonmouth depot) in one of the Dodge K artics at the end of August 1973. The driver hardly spoke a word all the way down and chain-smoked, only opening the window to throw his tab ends out. It was a warm night, and he had a coat and woolly hat on, and the heater full on. I was choking and sweating buckets, never been so glad to get out of any vehicle before or since.

Nmp

Hello, im James Dean from Barnsley in South Yorkshire (from Cudworth originally)
I would like to start a thread of old pictures of trucking companies around this area. Would be nice to see some Fearn Transport pictures and Ernest Thorpe Atki Borderer pics from their hay day. Ackworth Transport Crusaders. Has anybody got any pictures of Redfearn National Glass trucks (based at Monk Bretton,Barnsley) I believe they had some Scania LBs. Myatt Haulage based at Cudworth?
Will be good to see what pictures you have got.
We havent got many old photos of trucks in this area. I will try and upload a Naylors Transport Scania LB soon, taken in Barnsley. Most of our photos are in ■■■■■■■ now at my parents static caravan.

hi james heres one of thorpes sed atki if you look at the yorkshire thread-quite a few barnsley wagons-alan

One of Ferns - used to be FEARNS.

A Hanson Atki in Barnsley.Peter Davies photo.

Tom Roberts.

Thankyou for the pictures Chris. Nice to see a local PD photo.
Thanks for the Thorpe pic Alan. Thankyou ill have another look

deepcar volvo running out of stoksbridge-alan

another one of Ernest Thorpe s DAF 85

Thankyou guys

Chris Webb:
One of Ferns - used to be FEARNS.

Tom Roberts.

Hi,
Nice to see another Barnsley lad online!
Regarding the “Hanson in Barnsley” shot from Peter Davies, it’s not actually in Barnsley at all! I’ve studied the photo in his book, and there are definitely trolleybus wires overhead, so it could either be Bradford, Huddersfield or Rotherham (if it is in Yorkshire) as Barnsley never had trolleys.
It would be nice to see photos and get a few details of more local wagons, so here are a few more operators from t’Tarn :
National Coal Board
D.Caswell (Cawthorne)
Harry Cawthorne (Majestic) (Darton)
Don Riggott (Monk Bretton?)
Stan Wright (Darton)
Len Mills (Barnsley)
E.Land (Barnsley)
Flouch Transport (Penistone)
D. Butterfield (Staincross)
Ron Barraclough (Barnsley)
Keer Bros (Darton)
H. Winderbank (Carlton)
J.Hill (Smithies)
Granville Morris (Penistone)
Preston Roberts (Barnsley)
Tommy Rodwell (Wombwell)

• there’s many more whose names escape me, such as the dark blue Thames Trader tippers that were based at The Wells Garage in Royston in the early 1960’s - was it Jackson?
    keep the memories coming,
    Kevin.

Regarding the “Hanson in Barnsley” shot from Peter Davies, it’s not actually in Barnsley at all! I’ve studied the photo in his book, and there are definitely trolleybus wires overhead, so it could either be Bradford, Huddersfield or Rotherham (if it is in Yorkshire) as Barnsley never had trolleys.

It looks to me very much like the junction at the top of Corporation St with High St, Ship Hill & Westgate in Rotherham
Cheers Mel

Just had a memory recall, the tipper operator from Royston Wells wasn’t called Jackson at all, but Albert Dickinson.
-Still can’t remember the name of the bloke in Sackup Lane, Darton who had the Bedford O type though…
Kevin.