South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Buzzer

Does anyone remember the south wales hauliers, such as Entress, Morfa Transport, Blue Line, Slver Roadways etc
This thread is now in the capable hands of pete 359 ( Andrew ) ex Joint Motorways driver.

Alte Express, Drivers Eric Coventry, Henk!!!
Yellow with Brown band, cracking lads. Shipped out of Sheerness alot.
Mercedes and Crusader 6x4 Detroit, nice.

Also Gwynne Bowen, Trevor Phillips of Cadoxton plus many more big and small hauliers.

W.G.Davies,Llandore,immaculate fleet,especially their Crusaders.
Rosser,Pontillw,ran his MK3 and MK5 AECs to the end.
Illtydd (sp) Thomas.
Griif,Fender removals.
George Beer,Swansea.
John Raymond,Bridgend of course,who could forget him. :slight_smile:
Ely Transport Cardiff.
H.Morgan,Cwm.
Williams Bros., Crosshands.
Valley Carriers,Penarth.
South Wales Roadways.
Edwards of Lydbrook - an englishman sneaking into Llanwern :laughing: .
Hazells Haulage,Newport.
Owens,Llanelli.
Entress,Llansamlet,ran Leyland Octopussies and then later Volvo F86s.
Coastal Roadways,Hemphills and Wincanton all ran out of BP Baglan Bay.
Calor Transport,on a roundabout on the A48.
Blue Line Transport,Tondu ended up as Carline Transport I think.Way after my time though. :laughing:
Mansel Davies - Haverfordwest/Whitland?
Steel Company of Wales ran their own transport before nationalisation I think.
And there was always an endless procession of GKN motors at night,Heath Street Division was one I recall.
Philip Jones,Fforestfach.
S.Protheroe.
Ryhs Davies.
Davies and Meredith,Brynmawr
Catnic,Caerphilly.

That’s it at the moment, nurse is here with me medication. :smiley:

As you mentioned Edwards of Lydbrook, there was also Richard Read of Longhope as well as his brothers Harold end Fred who all had fleets, Fred operating from Hereford, I think there were six brothers all in transport. Two still operating.
Does anyone remember going into BOCM and Spillers at Cardiff and Avonmouth docks in the fifties and sixties also Barry dock.

Dave the Renegade:
As you mentioned Edwards of Lydbrook, there was also Richard Read of Longhope as well as his brothers Harold end Fred who all had fleets, Fred operating from Hereford, I think there were six brothers all in transport. Two still operating.
Doe,s anyone remember going into BOCM and Spillers at Cardiff and Avonmouth docks in the fifties and sixties also Barry dock.

The Read brothers were Richard, Harold, George, Ivor and Fred who were all in transport. Brother David had coal lorries in the Oldham area I believe.

Regarding Avonmouth, I used to go with my dad to BOCM and Silcocks for bags in the '60’s, he drove a Seddon (Reg JMO 1) for Laws Transport in Reading. Fond memories.

Pete.

I drove a seddon 13/4 four wheeler with a perkins 6354 engine not a very nice lorry at all, offset steering wheel a poor mans leyland comet ( ergnomatic cab ).As you mentioned avonmouth in the sixties was a very busy port with lorries from all over the west country south and mid wales collecting animal feeds from the different mills.

howdy guys .my first post on here .spent last night going through the site and well …EDWARDS TRANSPORT LYDBROOK.MY LATE FATHER DROVE FOR THEM AND MORFA TRANSPORT. .one of EDWARDS vehicles is in my mates workshop and is almost finnished being restored (mk5 aec mandator 1960).on the subject of south wales hauliers SANDERSONS ? NEWPORT. i seem to remember MON TRANSPORT running out of the ORB WORKS.MIKE PROSSER TRANSPORT. (he was transport manager at EDWARDS)I WORKED FOR HIM FOR A WHILE. DIXON BOOL ,CARDIFF. GOD I LOVE THIS SITE ! SHOULD HAVE FOUND IT SOONER. BOB. THE FAT EX TRUCKER

Dave the Renegade:
Doe,s anyone remember going into BOCM and Spillers at Cardiff and Avonmouth docks in the fifties and sixties also Barry dock.

Welcome to the site Bob, brilliant for anyone who has or still has an interest in trucks.
Cheers Dave.

back in the late 60 i remember going with my late father to b.o.c.m.mill at avonmouth you crossed the weighbridge then qued up and were called in via a tannoy system .you then went to a convoyor and if lucky it would telescope out if not it meant running back and forth with the bags of animal feed on your shoulder.does anyone remember the vertical conveyor that you could take up to the floor where the canteen was in spillers mill at cardiff ? in the 60s my father had a austin ffk140 had a legal 8 ton payload but usually carried 10 tons in 1968 he had a new lorry jbx 295 f a seddon 13/4/354 that carried almost 11ton legal

ianto:
back in the late 60 i remember going with my late father to b.o.c.m.mill at avonmouth you crossed the weighbridge then qued up and were called in via a tannoy system .you then went to a convoyor and if lucky it would telescope out if not it meant running back and forth with the bags of animal feed on your shoulder.does anyone remember the vertical conveyor that you could take up to the floor where the canteen was in spillers mill at cardiff ? in the 60s my father had a austin ffk140 had a legal 8 ton payload but usually carried 10 tons in 1968 he had a new lorry jbx 295 f a seddon 13/4/354 that carried almost 11ton legal

Ianto,I did the same a few years earlier, went Avonmouth, Cardiff and Barry with my Dad or one of his mates fetching bagged animal feeds. I drove a FFK 140 with an underfloor engine, most of the four wheelers at that time could carry 10 tons, although only marketed as 8 ton payload, 14 ton gross, was the legal limit until the transport bill changed it to 16 tons gross. Thats a Carmarthen number bx if I’M right.
Cheers, Dave.

Glyn John Transport ? cant remember exactly where they were from - used to run a few Transcons - late 70s.

Also Blue Line from Tondu ? (spelling)

yes dave it was a carmarthen registration number my father used to run 2 wagons used to run concrete pipes out of albion concrete up country and back load animal feed out of b.o.c.m avonmouth spillers cardiff or ranks blue cross barry and in the spring/summer fertilizer out of fisons or ici sevenside he also did animal feed from kinghton [radco]ranks to ranks barry

anyone got any photos of r.g.miles from monmouth,they used to have nice motors.in this months classic commercials on page 16 theres an old bedford tm unit that looks like one of there old wagons

ianto:
yes dave it was a carmarthen registration number my father used to run 2 wagons used to run concrete pipes out of albion concrete up country and back load animal feed out of b.o.c.m avonmouth spillers cardiff or ranks blue cross barry and in the spring/summer fertilizer out of fisons or ici sevenside he also did animal feed from kinghton [radco]ranks to ranks barry

I fetched pipes from Albion concrete at Llangadog with a BMC FG IN 1968, it was only a four ton payload builders tipper, but I regularly carried six ton on it, running from Llandovery up through to Trecastle used to take forever, the lorry was only six months old, but only had a four cylinder engine. I was twenty years old. I then moved up to a Bedford TK tipper at 14 ton gross.
Ilive 7 miles from Knighton Ianto, went to school there. I later drove for S W Brisbanes next door to Radco’s yard, its still there,Clynderwyn farmers and Henry lea Oakes run a couple of feed bulkers out of the yard now, the rest of it is used by a couple of Hauliers as an operating centre.
Cheers Dave.

One of Dyfed Steels at Willersley A4111.

Here’s a few more,mostly from the heads of the valley’s,
J + M Watkins Abergavenny
Cyril williams,Ford+Reames,Chivers of Brynmawr
Caswells,Fred Hann+ Sons, Parfitts of Ebbw Vale
Davies of Tredegar
Parfitts,HY-MAC Transport, D.H. Challoner {fuels} Rhymney
D.l. Blake, Hubert Johns, Hoovers private fleet from Merthyr Tydfil
Maldwyn Davies Hirwaun
Abernant Transport
And last but not least the person who gave me my first HGV driving job,the very next day after passing my test at the age of 21,
Mr Alan Price of Bargoed,then trading as Alan Price + Sons, Red Ash + Shale.

In the early 60s my dad did night trunk for Hawthorns from Swansea, waste paper down & cannot remember what he brought back, used to hand over to his day man in Oxford. His Depot Manager in Wales was George Hicks, who went on to start/run Hicks & Son, blue & white wagons doing European + Middle East. I remember the old man saying he went down one night & had a message to call in the depot, on arrival Goerge Hicks said they needed his wagon for service & to take the one parked across the yard. Dad said “Here George, its gt no plates on it & no discs in the screen!” The old man was told to pull over by it & drop his trailer, then a fitter was sent across & he took the number plates off dads wagon & screwed them on the bumper of the other one, & th discs were swapped the same, the old man was told to call in the next night & pick his wagon up!

Am I right in thinking that Alan Price used to run quite a few Ford Cargo six wheeler tippers, all with a Michelin Man on the roof? Or am I getting them confused with someone else?

Does anyone have any pics?

Cheers
Mark