South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

That is a peculiar bogie arrangement on the Entress trailer coupled to the Maggie ? Tandem on the rear axle and single wheels on the front axle ? I wonder what the objective was, bet that would have the Ministry men scratching their nads when or if they ever pulled that one in !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
That is a peculiar bogie arrangement on the Entress trailer coupled to the Maggie ? Tandem on the rear axle and single wheels on the front axle ? I wonder what the objective was, bet that would have the Ministry men scratching their nads when or if they ever pulled that one in !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, back in their day Entress may of been the equivalent of Cardiff transport in the 80s and 90s a feeder fleet to try things out. They were early user’s of Deutz’s and Volvo’s .
Kingswinford kit may have some inside knowledge he may well want to share!

Paul

Paul John:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis, back in their day Entress may of been the equivalent of Cardiff transport in the 80s and 90s a feeder fleet to try things out. They were early user’s of Deutz’s and Volvo’s .
Kingswinford kit may have some inside knowledge he may well want to share!

Paul

Hi Dennis,
It looks to me like a tri-axle running on centre dished single wheels, perhaps he has had a puncture and used the spare off the unit? It looks like it is wider than the side rave on the trailer, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Andrew,has billy Doyle ceased trading as I not seen his trucks for a while or has he moved elsewhere

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew,has billy Doyle ceased trading as I not seen his trucks for a while or has he moved elsewhere

Hi Smallcoal,
Doyle’s sold out to a Scottish power generator company,a few years back now.They still have the former Joint’s yard,I went down there tonight.Dennis,I think Entress’ funny trailer bogies arrangement,was an idea a few people tried back then? During the early years of articulation in the U.K.
regards Andrew.

pete 359:

smallcoal:

Hi Smallcoal,
Doyle’s sold out to a Scottish power generator company,a few years back now.They still have the former Joint’s yard,I went down there tonight.Dennis,I think Entress’ funny trailer bogies arrangement,was an idea a few people tried back then? During the early years of articulation in the U.K.
regards Andrew.

Cheers mate I seen a green daf hiab the other day and for some reason I thought I not seen Billy glad you cleared that up ,we been watching that show keeping faith there’s a haulage yard in port talbot they using a woman got some trucks last week they drove from carmathen to alpha steels in a ex post office daf without changing gear obviously on a trailer but unconvincing they showing a lot of port talbot steel works area ,the docks Newport,all filmed in Wales

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Old leyland advert 1965.

I’ve just been reading some pages on here………………

Would Arlington on Penarth Road eventually be CV Sales? If so,my Mandator was in for a repair one Saturday morning and I had to load at Baglan Bay and get home to Sheffield.It was the time of the diesel shortage,1974 and I had been told that Calor Transport Briton Ferry and Entress Llansamlet were unable to refuel A E Evans as they were short themselves.I had some diesel but not enough to get home.There was a filling station near CV Sales so I walked across and asked if I could buy 25 gallons of derv.Surprisingly the attendant said yes,so when wagon was fixed,I filled up and I gave him a cheque with my signature on back - remember those days? When I got back to Sheffield late Saturday afternoon I put 72 gallons in the 75 gallon tank,so it were close. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Hello Chris,
If the garage you refer to was across the road from CV Sales it was probably Edgar Boyle’s , EJ Boyle ran a fair fleet back in the day , Hill’s Transport was just around the corner in Fleetway. :slight_smile:

Hi all,
Here are a pair of photos of Tony Morgan’s mighty Scammell.I didn’t realise he ran it with a jeep dolly?

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Old leyland advert 1965.

Would Arlington on Penarth Road eventually be CV Sales? If so,my Mandator was in for a repair one Saturday morning and I had to load at Baglan Bay and get home to Sheffield.It was the time of the diesel shortage,1974 and I had been told that Calor Transport Briton Ferry and Entress Llansamlet were unable to refuel A E Evans as they were short themselves.I had some diesel but not enough to get home.There was a filling station near CV Sales so I walked across and asked if I could buy 25 gallons of derv.Surprisingly the attendant said yes,so when wagon was fixed,I filled up and I gave him a cheque with my signature on back - remember those days? When I got back to Sheffield late Saturday afternoon I put 72 gallons in the 75 gallon tank,so it were close. :open_mouth: :smiley:

The garage you describe was probably Edgar Boyles if it was across from C.V. Sales Chris , E G Boyle and son ran quite a fleet back in the day ,Hills Transport was just around the corner in Fleetway.

gah1950:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Old leyland advert 1965.

Hello Chris,
If the garage you refer to was across the road from CV Sales it was probably Edgar Boyle’s , EJ Boyle ran a fair fleet back in the day , Hill’s Transport was just around the corner in Fleetway. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that,it was a long day,getting back to Sheffield about 7-00pm on the Saturday. One of our fitters was an ex driver and he once got back to depot running on a mix of derv and white spirit,left over from a drop. :smiley:

Tony Morgan’s Scania 143.

wales tony morgan 91.PNG

Hi all,
Here’s a few more old welsh photos.
Firstly Ely Transport AEC at GKN steelworks in Cardiff.A Merthyr based Transcon, Eric Coventry’s Alti Express 141,with Mrs Coventry lace-ing the tilt and a Hicks of Newport DAF a long way from home.Have a great bank holiday everyone.

021E9F17-9E55-42BE-9218-DFAD2649B9CC.jpeg

APU 651F was a V8 Mandator.
Nice old photos Andrew,thanks. :slight_smile:

Chris Webb:
APU 651F was a V8 Mandator.
Nice old photos Andrew,thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi Chris,
Thanks,That V8 was driven from new by a family friend.Amongst one of the first in South Wales.some more AEC here,John Jones Transport of Pontyberem…

Pete 359,

Cracking pictures of the AEC’s this was John Evans & Sons Llanelli’s fleet at their premises on Sandy Road, (interestingly the Nelson Garages Bedford Advert earlier they also had a Vauxhall/Bedford dealership 500 yds away from John Evans Llanelli.)

John Evans Pontyberem was ran by Meurig Evans think his brother was Peter Evans who ran the Llanelli outfit, the Pontyberem Business was far smaller although mainly A.E.C.'s running flat’s tippers and Coaches they were running here in the village from the early 40’s , I have a negative I purchased off the net some years ago of their A.E.C. 1/2 CAB Regal coach FTH 346 which I used to travel to school up in Bancffosfelen on from circa 1964! :smiley:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Pete 359,

Cracking pictures of the AEC’s this was John Evans & Sons Llanelli’s fleet at their premises on Sandy Road, (interestingly the Nelson Garages Bedford Advert earlier they also had a Vauxhall/Bedford dealership 500 yds away from John Evans Llanelli.)

John Evans Pontyberem was ran by Meurig Evans think his brother was Peter Evans who ran the Llanelli outfit, the Pontyberem Business was far smaller although mainly A.E.C.'s running flat’s tippers and Coaches they were running here in the village from the early 40’s , I have a negative I purchased off the net some years ago of their A.E.C. 1/2 CAB Regal coach FTH 346 which I used to travel to school up in Bancffosfelen on from circa 1964! :smiley:

E.W.

Hi E.W.
Thanks for your reply,why I wrote John Jones,is beyond me? Where in Pontyberem were John Evans based?
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

If you head from Ronnie Evans’s garage back down to Pontyberem around 1/4 of a mile there is a left hand bend and the site was there on the right side demolished at least 10yrs ago for housing development bet never got done, all overgrown now!

The site was purchased by A Local Haulier Ernest E Maidment in around 1974 , there are some photo’s on this thread of Ernest & his brother with an X reg Marathon, and another with his Guy Big J bulker. Ernest Maidment Died in around 1996 I think and following being unable to sell the premises his widow had it razed to the ground for a development deal as I say that never materialised, the same developer did purchase the former garage & yard of George Morris & Sons another old local haulier and put 4 houses on there about 250 yards further up towards Ronnie S Evans’ place.

I have written on here previously about the Ex John Evans premises it was a very interesting Garage Building with 2 workshop bays and an office block in the middle, the Inspection pits in both bays had a door in the middle which led off to a tool , lubes, & parts store a very ingenious design maximizing useable space! :smiley:

Keep an eye out for it next time you go past there!

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Hi Andrew,

If you head from Ronnie Evans’s garage back down to Pontyberem around 1/4 of a mile there is a left hand bend and the site was there on the right side demolished at least 10yrs ago for housing development bet never got done, all overgrown now!

The site was purchased by A Local Haulier Ernest E Maidment in around 1974 , there are some photo’s on this thread of Ernest & his brother with an X reg Marathon, and another with his Guy Big J bulker. Ernest Maidment Died in around 1996 I think and following being unable to sell the premises his widow had it razed to the ground for a development deal as I say that never materialised, the same developer did purchase the former garage & yard of George Morris & Sons another old local haulier and put 4 houses on there about 250 yards further up towards Ronnie S Evans’ place.

I have written on here previously about the Ex John Evans premises it was a very interesting Garage Building with 2 workshop bays and an office block in the middle, the Inspection pits in both bays had a door in the middle which led off to a tool , lubes, & parts store a very ingenious design maximizing useable space! :smiley:

E.W.

Hi E.W.
Thanks,I know where you mean,as you can imagine,I go to Banc. From Pontyberem fairly regularly,thanks to Sion and Marged Evans.Surprising how many hauliers were located around that area at one time.
Regards Andrew.

EW car truck & bus:
Hi Andrew,

E.W.

One of Ernest E Maidment’s MAN’s.

A04646p.JPG

DEANB:

EW car truck & bus:
Hi Andrew,

E.W.

One of Ernest E Maidment’s MAN’s.

Hi Dean
Thanks for the MAN photo,Earnie Maidement’s business neighbour,Ronnie S.Evans ran the sister motor.Photo courtesy of Marged and Sion Evans…