South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
A couple of images of Tony Morgan’s MACK.

DEANB:
1967. BRS Seddon.

An updated Avon contract Seddon behind the Marathon.
Driven by Howard Edwards who was a dead ringer for Arthur Lowe.
I know Graham Taylor[Handy Gas] rip used to go to Ireland and all over with Avon rubber Bridgend.

IMG_3933 (6).JPG

Hi Tetris 418
Looking at the photo of the D series your father drove for Eddy John I wondered if you knew when it was taken.
In late 65 early 66 I drove a D750 for Dai Rowlands from Ystradowen working for Eddy John.
Typical days work would be a load from Ranks on Barry dock then at the end of the day Eddy would say go home for some tea then ‘nip’ over to B.O.C.M. in Avonmouth for a load , and that was before the bridge opened.
Don’t know if you are from Cowbridge but at that time two brothers worked for Eddy their names were Tony & Terry Deacon (Smiler & Sauce ) you may have heard of them or remember them.
I lived on Sutton Farm Llandow at the time which was farmed by my late brother in law Glyn Diment and his father Frank
Regards Mr Steel

pete 359:
Hi all,
A couple of images of Tony Morgan’s MACK.

Few more of Tony Morgans.

2017-07-20 12.16.57.jpg

A01887.JPG

A03486p.JPG

Hi all,
Thanks for the Tony Morgan photos Dean,my father painted a lot of Tony’s fleet,including the brand new MACK.That truck really was the talk of the South Wales haulage industry back then.A phenomenal machine imo.Here is one for Dennis aka Bewick,sorry to hear the weather wasn’t the best for you at the weekend mate.been there and experienced that myself,many times,anyway here’s a FODEN from your old favourite back load firm,Gwynn Bowen…

pete 359:
Hi all,
Thanks for the Tony Morgan photos Dean,my father painted a lot of Tony’s fleet,including the brand new MACK.That truck really was the talk of the South Wales haulage industry back then.A phenomenal machine imo.Here is one for Dennis aka Bewick,sorry to hear the weather wasn’t the best for you at the weekend mate.been there and experienced that myself,many times,anyway here’s a FODEN from your old favourite back load firm,Gwynn Bowen…

Thanks for the shot of the GB Foden Mate, they were still running those 8 wheelers when I were a Lad running into S. Wales !. The weather was a bit “Brass Monkeys” at the weekend but it was dry and that was the main thing Andrew but Hey ! when your wandering about having to stop and have a “craic” every 50 yards or so you are oblivious to the cold, plus we went well prepared and were well wrapped up ! It was a great turnout and I think there was more motors there than last year but they could still have done with an appearance of “Hitlers Revenge” from S. Wales ! :wink: maybe next year eh! Cheers Dennis.

Hello thanks for your reply have sent you an e-mail

quote=“Mrsteel”]Hi Tetris 418
Looking at the photo of the D series your father drove for Eddy John I wondered if you knew when it was taken.
In late 65 early 66 I drove a D750 for Dai Rowlands from Ystradowen working for Eddy John.
Typical days work would be a load from Ranks on Barry dock then at the end of the day Eddy would say go home for some tea then ‘nip’ over to B.O.C.M. in Avonmouth for a load , and that was before the bridge opened.
Don’t know if you are from Cowbridge but at that time two brothers worked for Eddy their names were Tony & Terry Deacon (Smiler & Sauce ) you may have heard of them or remember them.
I lived on Sutton Farm Llandow at the time which was farmed by my late brother in law Glyn Diment and his father Frank
Regards Mr Steel
[/quote]

Wynns photo

image.jpeg

John Raymond Atkinsons.

This from ebbw vale steelworks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi all,
WYNNS yet again here,fully freighted.

Down by newbridge rd

image.jpeg

Hi all,
Believed to be amongst the last Scammell ever built at Tolpits Lane Watford,Owned by Westland Coal.

Hiya,
I remember Wynn’s boast it went something like, if you can make it we can
move it and didn’t they prove it, I did a spell of holiday relief for their long
gone yard on Trafford Park way back in the 60s about six weeks I think.

pete 359:
Hi all,
Believed to be amongst the last Scammell ever built at Tolpits Lane Watford,Owned by Westland Coal.

Hi all. Andrew, did Westland own the Scammell? Andrew Williams, Adrian’s son was running the company in the late eighties. They both have the same initials A.J. Williams. The transport section was sold by Adrian to his brotherinlaw who was based in Hirwaun. At that time they had 3 or 4 Scammells ( old type) painted white and maroon, previous to that two 8 wheel Atkinson’s with Gardner 180s and the same K&J Withey bodies as in the photo. They were based in Merthyr and brought coal into Rhymney railway yard which was loaded for the docks in Cardiff. They were big exporters and mostly subbed their transport out, but were bigger than most people would of realised.
Seems as if they are still in business with an address in Briton Ferry.

Paul

rward:
Buzzer…………… is this the trailer you want to take on your trip?

The trailer looks magnificent Rowly - big improvement on when I dragged it out of the field, 8 years out of test and with no lights…

Tetris 418 . Hi
Thanks for the email.
I think you are correct about Smiler driving a coach for Tommy Morris of Pencoed.
Regards , Mr Steel

A brs truck in port talbot ,also buses in the abbey works

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi all,
A couple here,I found online,An early A series ERF and an LAD cabbed Beaver? From Llanelli Plant.