South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

DEANB:
Leyland advert 1974.

Hi Dean,
Thanks very much,Howells were a big dealership group in the 70’s.Ive got to be honest,I’ve never heard of this firm before!

751E9470-F68B-427F-9096-AE23DE8C21B9.jpeg

pete 359:

DEANB:
Leyland advert 1974.

Hi Dean,
Thanks very much,Howells were a big dealership group in the 70’s.Ive got to be honest,I’ve never heard of this firm before!

Hi Andrew,
The only Eddison I know of started with steam rollers and then went on to plant hire associated with road resurfacing,
A Wynns Scania for you, Cheer’s Pete

Hiya,
Eddison’s, were/are huge at one time in the plant hire field they had
depots all over the UK at one time my Dad was a plant fitter for them
they did have their own transport division at one time which was huge
and they were capable of moving all their big stuff.

pete smith:

pete 359:

DEANB:
Leyland advert 1974.

Hi Dean,

Hi Andrew,
The only Eddison I know of started with steam rollers and then went on to plant hire associated with road resurfacing,
A Wynns Scania for you, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the information.Great Wynns shot,thanks for sharing.
Regards Andrew.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Eddison’s, were/are huge at one time in the plant hire field they had
depots all over the UK at one time my Dad was a plant fitter for them
they did have their own transport division at one time which was huge
and they were capable of moving all their big stuff.

Hi Harry,
I was thinking about it earlier today,I’ve a half recollection? that they delivered portable class rooms at my primary school,years ago! Thanks for the information mate,from what I can gather,they were a big firm in their day…
Regards Andrew.

I am too good to you Andrew ! :laughing: :wink:

Click on page twice to read.

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Thanks very much for posting the article on Allan “mr.steel” Evans,I’ve known him forever and has recently set up a Trucknet account,after many years of him looking in on here.Here are a few from the many welsh BRS depots many years ago…

FA3FADD4-5628-4A89-A870-C40790D81228.jpeg

AEAF003D-9E0E-4B38-9C6C-9CDDA8926EDE.jpeg

4D5A8004-B3D6-4853-86F9-1EB76649D779.jpeg

Nice to see that article on Alan what name is he under on here Andrew ,you be next on the mag mate

Hello Andrew, I didnt realise deputy dog was so famous! I dont know how many of us old `uns are still about, your father, ASG, Mike Evans ,Cliff Godwin come to mind and yesterday I was discussing ailments with Bernard Lewis. All falling off the edge eventually. Best wishes, Mike

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew, I didnt realise deputy dog was so famous! I dont know how many of us old `uns are still about, your father, ASG, Mike Evans ,Cliff Godwin come to mind and yesterday I was discussing ailments with Bernard Lewis. All falling off the edge eventually. Best wishes, Mike

Hi bookworm,cliff lives on the other side of my street a few doors up you might have known my uncle Norman Evans who has passed away

Bookworm:

Hi Mike,
I hope you’re well mate.You are right there,sadly the numbers are diminishing.Give Bernard my regards,I’ve not seen him for a good few months now.Here we have two from the Welsh National Opera’s former fleet,parked at the unmistakable, Sugar Loaf on the A483…

pete 359:

Bookworm:

Hi Mike,
I hope you’re well mate.You are right there,sadly the numbers are diminishing.Give Bernard my regards,I’ve not seen him for a good few months now.Here we have two from the Welsh National Opera’s former fleet,parked at the unmistakable, Sugar Loaf on the A483…

Hi all. Andrew I remember those Welsh National Opera motors, iirc there was a magazine story about a trip they did!
I remember EDDISON plant, and as Pete Smith said they were involved in road surfacing. I particularly remember their 3 wheeled rollers. The driver/operator would stand up, moving a vertical steering wheel through his hands, constantly looking forward, sideways and backwards. Those guys had necks like turkeys. For some reason as kids we called them steam rollers!

Great old photos, did you get my pm last week?

Regards Paul

Paul John:

pete 359:

Bookworm:

Hi Mike,

Hi all. Andrew I remember those Welsh National Opera motors, iirc there was a magazine story about a trip they did!
I remember EDDISON plant, and as Pete Smith said they were involved in road surfacing. I particularly remember their 3 wheeled rollers. The driver/operator would stand up, moving a vertical steering wheel through his hands, constantly looking forward, sideways and backwards. Those guys had necks like turkeys. For some reason as kids we called them steam rollers!

Great old photos, did you get my pm last week?

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,
The last PM I received from you was in early January mate.I always think of you when I see photos of Alan Price,s fleet.

39A4558F-3D7A-4DF8-9E2F-E4A8E542BAA0.jpeg

Hi Andrew. If it was reference to Gareth, that was it.
As it happens, Alan’s first Foden came in August 1993 A reg with a Rolls Royce 265. Alan’s son Dai had it, coming off a T reg Deutz.
The first Deutz I had was OBO 57R the first 8 wheel Deutz they ran and was Raymond’s. It was 6 wheel Dodges M and P reg, 6 wheel Fords S and V reg, the first Cargo X reg, and a bunch of 8 wheeled Deutz’s from R to X reg.
Their first artic was a 4x2 Deutz which came just after I left in August 83. I probably would of stayed if I could of got that. Wanted to go up the road, Dai switched to the Deutz in January 84.
After the miners strike, they did a lot more distance work.

Regards Paul

Hi all,
H.Lewis from Eglwyswrw are a very long established haulier.This late model LV ERF was Bought new by them in the early 1970’s,now fully restored it can be seen at events all over the UK.

pete 359:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Thanks very much for posting the article on Allan “mr.steel” Evans,I’ve known him forever and has recently set up a Trucknet account,after many years of him looking in on here.Here are a few from the many welsh BRS depots many years ago…

Hi Andrew and deanB just been informed by my brother that the octopus GDW501 unloading sheet steel was the fastest in Bridgend and driven by our dad Curly Bill .

[attachment=0]EE1A6A96-1E0A-42B6-AD83-77E0221844C5.jpeg[/attachment]

pete 359:

That should keep Flick busy for an hour or so to clean it!

vanman99:

pete 359:

That should keep Flick busy for an hour or so to clean it!

Hello Si,
Even Birdy’s are dirty this time of year mate,lol.Found this photo on Facebook,sorry no idea to the names…

Hey Andrew, have a look at the plaque in the window…