South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

smallcoal:

scania81:

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Not sure if we’ve had this one before? Courtesy of Stu Mitchell…

Morning Andrew, i have the above photo which i believe was taken at the bottom of newport road cardiff.
1 of 2 to arrive at bridgend in the new distribution colours and fitted with coach diffs.
May be wrong but i,m sure 1 was driven by Mike Davey although i did not know him and Elwyn Trotman drove the other for a while.
Put on rockwool first and later on ended their day on general in the new white colours at the time.
The single axle trailers used to do lots of multi drop around towns and city centres but you seemed to get used to them.
Dai

Just had a phone call to be told the very sad news that Billy Davies has past on RIP[Billy Ginger].
1 of the last of the old school at bridgend who ended up shunting at Llandow.
Dai

Hi dai,I told Kevin White the news about Billy’s passing he asked me to tell you to pass on his condolences cheers John

Afternoon Smallcoal [John] Kevin used to drive this 112m and was taken at Village farm ind/est.
Could be him behind the wheel.
Dai

IMG_3931.JPG

I will show him this in the morning I blew it up and it looks like him cheers John

DEANB:
Wynns.

Click on page twice.

Great shot of Wynns motor, Plus a blast from the past It used to deliver fire bricks to RTB Spencer works in the 60s at Llanwern when if drove for my late great uncle Isaac Smiles the founder of the famous Smils for Miles With their fleet of 8 wheelers, The brick Co Henry Forster at Backworth supplied thousands of their products to steel works all over England Scotland & Wales, Sadley they are long gone like Smiles for Smiles, But I do still enjoy the memmories of those good old days along with a few drivers whom like myself are still around, Regards Larry.

Morning All,
Just noticed that this ERF I have posted on another thread has a Newport phone number on it, anyone recognise the operator? The reg number is G724 FHB

pete smith:
Morning All,
Just noticed that this ERF I have posted on another thread has a Newport phone number on it, anyone recognise the operator? The reg number is G724 FHB

Hi Andrew,I think that is an ex Cardiff transport we had an fhb Bernard would most probably know

smallcoal:

pete smith:
Morning All,

Hi Andrew,I think that is an ex Cardiff transport we had an fhb Bernard would most probably know

Hi John,
The reg number is definitely correct, checked with the Mrs’s glasses on and checked it on Swansea database and it comes up with a 14 litre ERF, colour Red! Cheer’s Pete

Geoff54:

scania81:

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Not sure if we’ve had this one before? Courtesy of Stu Mitchell…

Morning Andrew, i have the above photo which i believe was taken at the bottom of newport road cardiff.
1 of 2 to arrive at bridgend in the new distribution colours and fitted with coach diffs.
May be wrong but i,m sure 1 was driven by Mike Davey although i did not know him and Elwyn Trotman drove the other for a while.
Put on rockwool first and later on ended their day on general in the new white colours at the time.
The single axle trailers used to do lots of multi drop around towns and city centres but you seemed to get used to them.
Dai

Just had a phone call to be told the very sad news that Billy Davies has past on RIP[Billy Ginger].
1 of the last of the old school at bridgend who ended up shunting at Llandow.
Dai

hello dai,
I had a 459 for 18 months before I finished in march 86 wasn’t the fastest of them but always the best one on the banks, sorry to hear about ginger saw him in Pencoed last year he said now he was ninety he had free beer in the legion geoff

Morning Geoff,
Ginger was 95,doesn,t time fly.
He must have retired about 86-87.He played for Cardiff rfc years ago,however i always thought he played for bridgend.
Dai

Hi all,
A pair of BRS motors here courtesy of Pete Smith.

pete 359:
Hi all,

The top 1 is Newport depot.
The 81 THU 97S was new to Arthur Stephens and Johnny Harding 40 year plus service men.
3 111,s arrived that year too THU 94 95 96 S
Johnny used to trunk to B. Tissues Slough and backload mars confectionery at the time.
Dai

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

The 81 THU 97S was new to Arthur Stephens and Johnny Harding 40 year plus service men.
Johnny used to trunk to B. Tissues Slough and backload mars confectionery at the time.
Dai

Spoke to Kevin showed him pics ,it is him he wants to know are you from Ogmore vale young Davy you was known as ,Kevin is on Facebook cheers John

Message for Scania81 ,“DAI” on ebay is a photo of a ERF in Rowntree livery ,but behind is a Rockwool /Brs Bridgend Leyland roadtrain with all the flags in the cab screen ! It looks like the REG number ends in LTC ,have a look and let me know ,regards Jakey

smallcoal:

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Dai

Spoke to Kevin showed him pics ,it is him he wants to know are you from Ogmore vale young Davy you was known as ,Kevin is on Facebook cheers John

Thats me John but they called me young dai or little dai.
I looked about 16 at 24 and was often asked my age at boozers.
Ask Kevin if he remembers John Viant,Bones,Dope on the rope and Mike Jones,Ray Bennett,Gwyn Radcliffe.His mates on the coal tippers.
Dai

JAKEY:
Message for Scania81 ,“DAI” on ebay is a photo of a ERF in Rowntree livery ,but behind is a Rockwool /Brs Bridgend Leyland roadtrain with all the flags in the cab screen ! It looks like the REG number ends in LTC ,have a look and let me know ,regards Jakey

Well spotted Jakey,That motor is E593 LTC driven by the Mouse[Clive Williams].
Used to drive it on holiday cover and i was the last 1 back on late christmas eve 89 after tipping Bridge o don Aberdeen with it.
Dai

pete smith:
Morning All,

Looking at the colour scheme it could be ex Gerry Jones with the Welsh flag on top ,it says deejay

Some old adverts from 1962.

Hi all,
Five welsh registered BRS motors here,all found online…

Hi Andrew the 2 bristol artics in the first photo are from bridgend depot the shot was taken at high wycombe depot before the fleet numbers changed from G south wales to seperate depot’s,bridgend became GK,the bristol in the last photo is also a bridgend unit,it was used as a spotter in the abbey for shunting alongside a bedford tk when i started at bridgend brs in 1968.The lorry in the photo at the crossing gates in port talbot looks like it might be C&FGaens cornelly
regards tony

beaver 680:
Hi Andrew the 2 bristol artics in the first photo are from bridgend depot the shot was taken at high wycombe depot before the fleet numbers changed from G south wales to seperate depot’s,bridgend became GK,the bristol in the last photo is also a bridgend unit,it was used as a spotter in the abbey for shunting alongside a bedford tk when i started at bridgend brs in 1968.The lorry in the photo at the crossing gates in port talbot looks like it might be C&FGaens cornelly
regards tony

The last Bristol shot would have been taken around the back by the fitting shop at the bridgend depot.

Castell howell new livery

Hi all,
i am guessing this is a Sentinel? Remember many times, being on the Bournemouth to Bath run and seeing one of these,at full bore,they could go well tbf…