South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

This is the 110 that ended at Bridgend,s driving school.

bridgend:

scania81:

chris143:

scania81:
11For Chris 143,just in case you missed the marathon your dad used to drive i posted it a few pages back.
Also,this picture of JDW 295W a bit weathered in the rockwool ranks which was new to Steve Parry and always back at base on a friday evening.
Dai

Thanks Dai, did Roy putsey drive that scania as well
Cheers, Chris

Roy did have it later and JDW 296W also arrived ,a 81 day cab new to Dai Page.
The other 111 sleeper was new to Mike Evans and then John Ellis MLJ 962W.
I never knew Roy and only ever saw him from a distance but i am sure he had a slight limp.
They were the 1st general haulage sleeper cabs at the depot.
Dai

Dai Steve parry had mlj from new and Roy pudseyhad Jdw from new alan

hello alan/ little dai, roy Pudsey had an accident on a motor bikeas a young man and always maintained he coulnt drive an erf, and alan you are right ste parry had mlj962 new mike evans aka the dessert rat had it after,roy Pudsey had an accident in jdw on the m62 it was away being repaired for some time, I remember all this but cant remember where I was last week geoff

Castle Services Transcon.

wales fordw psw.PNG

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
That motor was a West Midlands based one, the driver was Alan Gantley. Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
That motor was a West Midlands based one, the driver was Alan Gantley. Cheer’s Pete

I think Dennis Bewick will like these 2 shots.
1 of many you would see all over the uk and lined up on the weekend by the waterton roundabout.
Remember sitting in 1 driven by Gerald Richards who went onto drive for Howell Richards.
Dai

Image1.jpg

These motors were always in carnivals around S.Wales.

Image2.jpg

Hi all,
I found this old WYNNS shot online…

scania81:

pete smith:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

1 of many you would see all over the uk and lined up on the weekend by the waterton roundabout.
Remember sitting in 1 driven by Gerald Richards who went onto drive for Howell Richards.
Dai

20180501_162148.jpg

scania81:

Dai,
I hope you didn’t mind me turning you pics round? Too good to be upside down! Cheer’s Pete

20180501_16.jpg

pete smith:

scania81:

Dai,
I hope you didn’t mind me turning you pics round? Too good to be upside down! Cheer’s Pete

Morning Dai as a boy this was my job on a Sat. morning to line them all up my old man ( Curly Bill ) would get the tape measure out !

pete smith:

scania81:

pete smith:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

Dai

No problem Mr Smith i put some on and they come out upside down for some reason.
Morning Ian,that J.R. roundabout before the M4 was built must have been a great advert and location when building a business.
I only ever drove a borderer once and that was a Blue line tractor unit down the Abbey works in 1986.
The shunter i knew let me have a little go.
Dai

pete smith:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

Cheers Pete ! :wink:

One of T.D.Williams.

wales td.PNG

DEANB:

pete smith:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

One of T.D.Williams.

Ferry Road based motor driven by Alan Jones before the respray in the new colours.
Dai

IMG_3916.JPG

scania81:

DEANB:

pete smith:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

One of T.D.Williams.

Ferry Road based motor driven by Alan Jones before the respray in the new colours.
Dai

This is the same motor in the new colours with Alan Jones with Bridgend based Mike Evans [B198 RFX].
B198 was the last motor my father ever drove and when Don Tuck brought is personal items home they contained is tachograph which i still have.
Dai

DAI, great photos of the Brs wagons , the white fleet colours were by favourite of the Brs colours , you say you still have your dads last tacho ,what run did he do on his last trip ?

Hiya,
I’ve asked on another site if anyone knew what type of gearbox the first
Scania 80s had I do know it was their own manufacture but what was its
format I was told it may have been a five speed with crawler, reverse
and a splitter i got a new one in 1967 I hated it under powered thing it
was a nightmare (broke down three times on it’s maiden voyage) they
weren’t on the firm very long they weren’t up to 32 tons gross, I did jack
rather than drive the thing, just can’t recall the gear sequence.
thanks harry, long retired.

Re above post ^^^^. The first artic I drove after I passed my test was an L-reg ('72/'73) Scania 80. It wasn’t a nice unit to drive. It had an H-shaped pattern with a splitter; so 8-speed 'box; but the gearstick rode hard against the driver’s seat (RHD) making gear-shifts very uncomfortable. Irritatingly, it had a strange piston arrangement in the gearshift, which mitigated against any attempt at double-declutching (bearing in mind that in those days you double-declutched everything in sight!). Furthermore, it couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Here’s a picture of the bloody thing! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Re above post ^^^^. The first artic I drove after I passed my test was an L-reg ('72/'73) Scania 80. It wasn’t a nice unit to drive. It had an H-shaped pattern with a splitter; so 8-speed 'box; but the gearstick rode hard against the driver’s seat (RHD) making gear-shifts very uncomfortable. Irritatingly, it had a strange piston arrangement in the gearshift, which mitigated against any attempt at double-declutching (bearing in mind that in those days you double-declutched everything in sight!). Furthermore, it couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Here’s a picture of the bloody thing! Robert

Hiya,
Thanks for the info Robert, it’s all flooding back to me now, but at least
I got an answer normally it’s silence I thought I was the only one in the
world who hated the Scania 80s, and as for the double de-clutching I
only drive my car nowadays and do the double de-thingy in that and it’s
a two pedaller old habits die hard Oh’ and still turn the steering wheel
the wrong way when reversing. Thanks again Mate.

harry_gill:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hiya,
Thanks for the info Robert, it’s all flooding back to me now, but at least
I got an answer normally it’s silence I thought I was the only one in the
world who hated the Scania 80s, and as for the double de-clutching I
only drive my car nowadays and do the double de-thingy in that and it’s
a two pedaller old habits die hard Oh’ and still turn the steering wheel
the wrong way when reversing. Thanks again Mate.

You’re in good company then, as I still double-declutch in my car and have only recently grown out of steering the wrong way when reversing - and it’s ten years since I drove an artic! lol Robert

Dai I think you will like this one G341GBO ,Brs Cardiff