South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
That Roadtrain has a Staffordshire reg number, I wonder who ran her first?
Please pass on my regards to Steelboy and get him back on here, some North Wales stuff coming up on Rogers thread! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reply.Here courtesy of David Beer,is an early 1960’s Leyland Comet YNY 998, from Ricketts Transport Ewenny,driven from new by David’s father,Wally Beer…

An ergomatic of GKN of Cardiff.I think they were based at Castle Works? Now known as Celsa…

pete 359:

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
That Roadtrain has a Staffordshire reg number, I wonder who ran her first?
Please pass on my regards to Steelboy and get him back on here, some North Wales stuff coming up on Rogers thread! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reply.Here courtesy of David Beer,is an early 1960’s Leyland Comet YNY 998, from Ricketts Transport Ewenny,driven from new by David’s father,Wally Beer…

A true gentleman in this pic we had a good laugh many times shunting in the works he was a character him and taff :smiley: cheers John

Wm Morgan Volvo F7.

DEANB:
Wm Morgan Volvo F7.

Another good pic there Dean…I think that location is the bottom of the black rock !

Regards Mark

Just in case you Lads didn’t watch “the match” it was Eng-er-land 6 ( SIX ) and Panama 1 ! Bit of useless info I know ! :wink: :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

marktaff:

DEANB:
Wm Morgan Volvo F7.

Another good pic there Dean…I think that location is the bottom of the black rock !

Regards Mark

+1 just going past the lay-by were the snack van was in!

pete 359:
An ergomatic of GKN of Cardiff.I think they were based at Castle Works? Now known as Celsa…

Was that the same as GKN Eastmoors Andrew,where we used to load crude benzole and tar from the coking plant? “Follow the railway lines” they used to say. :smiley:

pete smith:

marktaff:

DEANB:
Wm Morgan Volvo F7.

Regards Mark

+1 just going past the lay-by were the snack van was in!

And if you had an early Marathon you felt more confident going up Blackrock than coming down it. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

pete 359:

Was that the same as GKN Eastmoors Andrew,where we used to load crude benzole and tar from the coking plant? “Follow the railway lines” they used to say. :smiley:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.I think so,yes.I gather the AEC in the photo was a BRS motor,from Ferry Road depot?
Regards Andrew.

Bewick:
Just in case you Lads didn’t watch “the match” it was Eng-er-land 6 ( SIX ) and Panama 1 ! Bit of useless info I know ! :wink: :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, didn’t need to watch the match, your lot been ranting about it all day on the radio! Is this going to be another, ‘we won the world cup’ Yeah 52 years ago! :unamused: But Dennis, lets take a serious look at it, it might just as well been England taking on Porthcawl United Athletic! :laughing: Played against the milkman, paperboy, postman, mechanic, and canal workers!

vanman99:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis, didn’t need to watch the match, your lot been ranting about it all day on the radio! Is this going to be another, ‘we won the world cup’ Yeah 52 years ago! :unamused: But Dennis, lets take a serious look at it, it might just as well been England taking on Porthcawl United Athletic! :laughing: Played against the milkman, paperboy, postman, mechanic, and canal workers!

Lol :smiley:

vanman99:

Bewick:

Oh Ye of little faith ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Like it Andrew :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all,
Hoover at Merthyr,ran a lot of these Mercury’s.

Morning Andrew,
One of Roger’s, E Davies Cardigan on the M54, Pete

Andrew,
You need to have a word with Roger, missing some of the Welsh motor’s, have a look at the 2 pic’s, R G Miles behind the Shirleys and behind the Wm Morgan Scania, is that a Joints Merc? Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Andrew,
You need to have a word with Roger, missing some of the Welsh motor’s, have a look at the 2 pic’s, R G Miles behind the Shirleys and behind the Wm Morgan Scania, is that a Joints Merc? Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the photos.imo the Joint Merc is E235 VEP a 1635 that was new to the late Peter Lewis and wasn’t painted until around two years old.
Regards Andrew.

IMG_3922.JPG

pete 359:

pete smith:
Andrew,

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the photos.imo the Joint Merc is E235 VEP a 1635 that was new to the late Peter Lewis and wasn’t painted until around two years old.
Regards Andrew.

This motor THU 96S was brand new to Victor the pole and Mervyn Bator and in the line up at lorry driver of the year S, Wales heat.
A batch of 3 111,s and one 81 that arrived that year and would have been driven in the competition by Bill Blake the cornishman.
It has the old depot code and was a flying machine but the turn table sat different and was a pain getting under loaded trailers.
Dai

Dai , that big Scania looked good .