South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
A couple of cracking Welsh BRS motors.

C79F0E72-7198-486F-8ACC-9E28F69335EB.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
A couple of cracking Welsh BRS motors.

The top picture would be a Cardiff motor.
The AEC artic against the railway line could be parked up in High Wycombe depot.
Dai

A couple of Paul’s pics.

A02175.JPG

A02211.JPG

Hi all,
Thank you Dean for sharing more outstanding images.This photo is for member ianto full pelt.Ian,your brother and I think your father,might have driven this scammell?,many many years ago!!

This photo was sent to me via what’s app,by Alan evans,trucknet member ianto full pelts brother.its their father “curly Bill” and his scammell.

pete 359:
Hi all,
Thank you Dean for sharing more outstanding images.This photo is for member ianto full pelt.Ian,your brother and I think your father,might have driven this scammell?,many many years ago!!

Correct Andrew owned by Walter Palmer LLynfi Lane Bridgend ( rear of the Coity Castle pub ) I think purchased new in 1947 - 1948 I believe absorbed by the BRS maybe ? .

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Correct Andrew owned by Walter Palmer LLynfi Lane Bridgend ( rear of the Coity Castle pub ) I think purchased new in 1947 - 1948 I believe absorbed by the BRS maybe ? .

The late Don Tuck told me about P and P and i always remember Johnny Morgan[Chris Morgan transport,s father] telling me he started on BRS from
behind the coity castle pub.
Dai

scania81:

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:
Hi all,

The late Don Tuck told me about P and P and i always remember Johnny Morgan[Chris Morgan transport,s father] telling me he started on BRS from
behind the coity castle pub.
Dai

Hello Dai,
Thanks for the information. Thats what our thread is all about,memories and connections…
regards Andrew.

Yes well done David Thomas, good information on all things BRS. Also Andrew, I did not know that Big ■■■■ drove for Evans of Stormy down, see the Big ■■■■ plate on Evans the transcon.
E142

E142:
Yes well done David Thomas, good information on all things BRS. Also Andrew, I did not know that Big ■■■■ drove for Evans of Stormy down, see the Big ■■■■ plate on Evans the transcon.
E142

Hi David,
I would say ■■■■ drove for Evans’ around about the same time as you were running your VOLVO F7.probably 40 years ago now!
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:

Bookworm:
If I`m not mistaken this outfit was used to transport rolls into the hot mill rollshop in the Abbey. There was a hump in the tarmac opposite the canteen and it had a habit of bottoming the trailer, which you can see from the photo, is very low. I was working for Shorts at the time(late 1990s) driving a 100 ton scrap carrier out of the hot mill and used to put a chain on the back of the trailer and pull it back off the hump. This worked fine until one day it was really stuck and I managed to pull the rear of the trailer off, needless to say we stopped doing it!

Hi mike,
I thought that Foden looked familiar.ive always been fascinated by some of the very heavy hardware in The Abbey and other large steel mills over the years.I would have loved to of had a drive of a Kres carrier,they just seemed to pick up half a dozen slabs and cart them around the slab yard as if they were lolly pop sticks.
Regards Andrew.

Andrew , We have four for sale at rest in the abbey I spent eight years on them 6 or 8 slabs in a lift usual weight 160tns . All the best Ian .

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply.A family friend,Des Williams drove them for short bros,I think? They were a big plant company,I’m guessing they sold out,to was it Brambles? They had some big gear.it seemed that every steelworks I went to had short bros plant there,especially lakenby,Redcar and Scunthorpe.For a period of around two years a brand new orange and white Hitachi EX1800? Face shovel just sat in their yard next door to joint.it never moved.must have been over a million pounds worth back then?
Regards Andrew.

Hiya Andrew,
Shorts had a couple of the Hitachi EX 1800s and also had an EX 3500 loading Cat 785s at Nant Helen OCCS Banwen for Fairclough/ Amex, It stood for years when it finished and broken up for spares, There are still parts of it over in K&J s at Pontllotyn .

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the reply and the information.Here is a Ross Garages Atki,with a full shoot of timber on…

An O.j.Williams F12,seen at Austin’s services courtesy of Chris Richards.

Hello Andrew, That picture of the Atki with the load of timber illustrates what I usually (very boringly) say about old-style drivers, note that there`s no chains holding it all on, just ropes. Mike

Hi andrew the driver of the f12 og williams I think was a bloke called Brian wore glasses I used to have pint with him earlstown east lands club 35 years ago great bloke regards rowly

This motor is actually a 142 with modifications. Are Keedwell still going ■■?

rward:
Hi andrew the driver of the f12 og williams I think was a bloke called Brian wore glasses I used to have pint with him earlstown east lands club 35 years ago great bloke regards rowly

Earlstown! Now that takes me back, some VERY good nights there, and not only in the club!

Vanman good club that do we know each other regards rowley