South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:

ianto:
Super Singles on drive axle

Very good answer ian,though not was i was referring to tbh.JR had four double drive Foden’s at the same time as B771 ACY and they had those odd size super singles also.This was the only 301 in JR’s 1980,s fleet of many that had this fairly rare and visible feature.
Regards andrew.

Hi Pete

Bumper looks wrong. from a bigger model but not sure what
Regards Tim

tim72:

pete 359:

ianto:

Very good answer ian,though not was i was referring to tbh.JR had four double drive Foden’s at the same time as B771 ACY and they had those odd size super singles also.This was the only 301 in JR’s 1980,s fleet of many that had this fairly rare and visible feature.
Regards andrew.

Hi Pete

Regards Tim

Sorry Andrew, put Pete by Accident

Is it a 301 cab on a 401 chassis cause of the headlights

It`s got a sleeper cab where all the others were day cabs.

It`s got a sleeper cab where all the others were day cabs.

tim72:

pete 359:

ianto:

Regards andrew.

Hi Pete

Regards Tim

The 401 panels and bumper were an option on the 301

Hi all.
Andrew, give us the answer as it will be bedtime soon! I don’t handle suspense to good these days LOL.

Short Brothers were probably the biggest plant hire company in S Wales in the 70s and 80s. I remember yards in Hirwaun, Taffs Wells and Newport.
As well as the steelworks they had a lot of equipment at the colliery’s and power stations.
Lock’s of Pencoed, Cosslett’s of Pontypridd and K&J of Pontlottyn along with many smaller contractors were a big presence at the pits.
Iirc Smiths had a lot of specialsed work in the Abbey and Hazell’s in Llanwern.
Going back a while though!

Regards Paul

pete 359:
A liitle quiz question,what’s unusual about this particular, L10 ■■■■■■■ powered JR 301 seddon Atkinson? Raymond’s had dozens of 301’s,though this one was slightly different and the only one that they had,to my knowledge?Vanman99 may well be the first to guess correctly?

Certainly NOT a 401 cab, as the wings (below the door) are correct for the 301, but 401 front corner panels, indicators and bumper, probably one of our home made repairs most likely, most drivers knocked the spot lights off, regularly but ‘wasn’t me’ was the usual reply. Home made rear ‘mud guards’ were never much use but served a purpose. Super singles on the drive axle were also useless and sodding heavy to get off the spigot mounting!

pete 359:

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew, yes you are quite right, Swift Transport was set up by JR, his wife was a director along with a few Bridgend business people, one of them a solicitor. Bob Hawkins ran the operation until it was absorbed into the JR fleet and Bob and Sandra ran Traffic along with Ken Coombs. This was just before 1975 when I started back with JR for the 3rd time.
One of their trailers, a low height box, was the one I had permanently on the WBC Bookbinder contract for 8 years until I finished in 1989, doesn`t time fly, it seems like yesterday.
Best Wishes
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply.From memory you had OCY 29Y a 401 with a black add on roof spoiler on the bookbinder contract?I will post a picture.i think? Your driving Bernard Lewis’ Transcon up south road here,porthcawl carnival early 1980’s.Bernard calls into work occasionally,he’s looking well.

Remember doing a brake reline on the front axle of this and taking it down the front yard for a brake test and hitting the brakes hard felt like the thing was going to fall over there was so much movement in the suspended cab, Colin was the driver at the time, lovely fella, from Cardiff, big tall black guy and I always remember he had a dirty great big Saint Christopher glued to the dash right in the middle. JR had advised to remove the rear anti roll bar so we could get a spare wheel under the rear of the chassis, don’t think it improved the ride at all though! :unamused:

Bookworm:
Yes Andrew, When I left Bridgend on the Bookbinders job I usually had 14 or 15 drops and sometimes 4 collections spread all over Southern England , London and as far up as Grantham. Just like your old man. any tidy driver would always find the best way to do the job efficiently in the easiest way. There was no Satnav then I dread to think how todays truckers` (not Lorry Drivers) would manage the jobs we used to do in those days,or am I being a silly old ■■■■?

Hi Mike, Hope your keeping well, always remember you telling me of a drop in London that you had to drive the wrong way down a one way street in London to get out of the street as it was too tight to turn the correct way. Far from being a silly old ■■■■ Mike, Your right about today’s ‘truckers’ and ‘drivers’ they seem to drive with their ears and not their eyes! I’ve got four that couldn’t remember where they went yesterday never mind last week! I usually get ‘where’s that?’ I tell them ‘you loaded there last week’ And the reply is always ‘have you got a postcode for that?’ Ah for the good old map, All the best, Simon

vanman99:

pete 359:
A liitle quiz question,what’s unusual about this particular, L10 ■■■■■■■ powered JR 301 seddon Atkinson? Raymond’s had dozens of 301’s,though this one was slightly different and the only one that they had,to my knowledge?Vanman99 may well be the first to guess correctly?

Certainly NOT a 401 cab, as the wings (below the door) are correct for the 301, but 401 front corner panels, indicators and bumper, probably one of our home made repairs most likely, most drivers knocked the spot lights off, regularly but ‘wasn’t me’ was the usual reply. Home made rear ‘mud guards’ were never much use but served a purpose. Super singles on the drive axle were also useless and sodding heavy to get off the spigot mounting!

Hi all,
Thank you all for the replies.I think? TIM72 was the first with correct answer.B771 ACY came to JR brand new with 4 headlamps mounted in the bumper.every other 301 that JR ran had 2 headlamps mounted either side of the main grille on the cab panels.i don’t know if the brand changed the front panels and then used 401 bumpers? when they built the truck, or whatever? All i do know is,that this was the only 301 John Raymond owned and ran,that came new that way.Thanks again.
regards Andrew.

Two of Ronnie’s…

pete 359:

vanman99:

pete 359:

Hi all,
Thank you all for the replies.I think? TIM72 was the first with correct answer.B771 ACY came to JR brand new with 4 headlamps mounted in the bumper.every other 301 that JR ran had 2 headlamps mounted either side of the main grille on the cab panels.i don’t know if the brand changed the front panels and then used 401 bumpers? when they built the truck, or whatever? All i do know is,that this was the only 301 John Raymond owned and ran,that came new that way.Thanks again.
regards Andrew.

The 301 started life with single headlights, mounted in the wings, and then was updated around 1984 with twin headlights in the bumper, 401-style. When it was superseded by the 3-11, they reverted to single, square headlights in the wings again

240 Gardner:

pete 359:

vanman99:

pete 359:

Hi all,
regards Andrew.

The 301 started life with single headlights, mounted in the wings, and then was updated around 1984 with twin headlights in the bumper, 401-style. When it was superseded by the 3-11, they reverted to single, square headlights in the wings again

Hi,
Thanks for that information.courtesy of Martin Watkins from Newport,here is a Ken Jones 1735.

A very young Andrew Ockwell from pen coed and an R.J. Bowns Transcon.

pete 359:

Now there’s a lad who could drive… Into nearly everything he passed! And I speak with strong experience!

vanman99:

pete 359:

Now there’s a lad who could drive… Into nearly everything he passed! And I speak with strong experience!

Hi Simon,
I’d forgotten all about you and him! Here is what I knew as Bevan commercial vehicles morfa road Swansea.every new merc Joint Motorways ever bought (apart from one) was purchased from here.years before all of that,they were a dodge dealership.

Courtesy of Paul Hourihane,a cracking John Evans of Newport Middle East shot.

pete 359:

Great pic, complete with a Turkish ‘tonka’ MAN in the background :wink: ; oh, and a flying saucer! :open_mouth: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

pete 359:

Great pic, complete with a Turkish ‘tonka’ MAN in the background :wink: ; oh, and a flying saucer! :open_mouth: Robert

HI Robert,
Thanks tbh i wasn’t sure what brand truck it was? I thought an old MACK? It’s true then? Flying suacers do exist? LOL…
Regards Andrew.