South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

rward:
Bewick small coal is Wright about overweight anything went on that firm day night overweight flat out everywhere no regard . not like your firm in my opinion proper transport company to proud of regards rowly

Hi Rowly/Smallcoal,
I can remember waiting to load at Crumlin, pot noodle place I think? Mc Gregor Cory ran the transport, any way the shunter there had worked for Cardiff Transport and had told me that the minimum on 5 axles was a 20 ton and a 10 ton coil and total disregard for speed limits/Tacho hours, he left because he was ā€œburnt outā€ and wanted to keep his licence! Pete

Bewick:

smallcoal:

Paul John:
Hi all. Andrew that EC10, was it fitted with the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  M11? Surely not an L10 or LTA10. I would of thought the 14l lump was the obvious choice from 320 to about 440 hp at that time. The 320hp MANā€™s had twin splitters and were a tremendous work horse.
Cardiff Transport was surely the ideal firm for a seed vehicle!

Paul

Hi all Cardiff transport trucks ran 24/7 with the mans and erf they were never off the road if they did an engine would be out stripped and back in a day the fitters could spot a problem by listening to the engine sound ,I remember coming down from charnock Richard services on night change over with 3 slabs on trailer total 60 tonne on a tri axle and tandem erf,this was my truck which was used for advertising the tyres we used I enjoyed working for them good boys as well

Now come on ā€œsmallcoalā€ you are definitely romancing a bit there arenā€™t you ā– ā–  You should be writing fairy stories for Hands Christian Andersen! Cheers Bewick. :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all,
I worked alongside Cardiff Transport and I personally delivered thousands of slabs from both the abbey and llanwern to lakenby steelworks in Cleveland and many other ports.Tbf to Dennis,I personally have never seen three slabs on one trailer.The lakenby loads were always two 12 tonners @ 38 tonnes gross back then.The oversize slabs we used to take to Swansea Dock were 24 tonnes and shipped to North America to stamp out the bottom of a railway wagon.The thousands we moved to and from the abbey to and from llanwern varied from 10 upto 24 tonnes.ive never seen three on a single trailer ever,Smallcoal is getting a bit carried away here? I thinkā€¦
Regards andrew.

Hi all,
Until I saw this photo,I always thought that Mansel davies only ever had one LB Scania unit? Iā€™ve seen a bubbleman picture of a 141.

Hi all, you never seen it because they came down at night stacked 3 high in Scotland Yard only at night they would move them then transhipped in Newport yard every thing was overweight so less trailers were used then it was all transhipped that why Dalbeattie from port talbot was brought up to Newport scotch trailer in llanwern single coil put on Dalbeattie trailer to make up to full weight that how Brian made his money Bernard will tell you he worked in the yard

Donā€™t think Mansel Davies had a 141, they had a p reg 140

taffybloke:

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew,this was on deans site Tom Hughes of Barry have you heard of these John

That Ford was mostly driven by Gerry Davies from Cardiff. It has his wifeā€™s name on the front. I have driven it occasionally but I usually used our 2200 then 2800 Dafs

Mike

Gerry Davies did he drive for any one else cause the name is familiar

Paul John:
Hi all. John and Robert. Thanks for the replies.
I am trying to figure out the year here. Was H reg 90/91 or 92/93. I jumped ship Sept 91. The ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  M11 came out later and possibly was fitted to the K reg EC.
I had a brand new Volvo WA 4x2 tractor with the first batch of M11s in 1994. I ran around 200 miles daily on a city peddle route on LTL (pallet work), and the night time guy ran 520 miles turning Tifton Ga from Orlando FL. Robert you will be happy to hear it was fitted with a Eaton Road Ranger 10 gear but 9 speed box. It never operated at full weight 73000lb on 4 axles close to 32000kg, but remained on the fleet for 10 years trouble free, although went to day shift only, after 3 years. I also had the last new M11 in a 6x4 before the Volvo VN arrived with the M11E. The electronics really stopped the M11E from performing like its predecessor!
The only experience I had with a L10 was in a Bedford TM demo, and it was a little jumpy on the throttle iirc. Didnā€™t they have cooling problems.
I couldnā€™t see the 10 litre engines handling the work load Cardiff Transport threw at them.

Dennis, you worked your trucks hard, but didnā€™t abuse them. Cardiff Transport abused them every day and night, and yes they did run overweight and anything else that got in their way.

Paul

Hi Paul you are right the motto was horse on and donā€™t stop for anything that gets in your way :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Paul,I took this on Lexington ave New York when Helen surprised me for my birthday

image.jpeg

Hi John. Thatā€™s a Freightliner there or Freightshaker as we call them. I posted a photo of the 2018 Freightliner a few months back. Probably a good time to compare them and see how far they have advanced. They are closing in on Volvo, but Volvoā€™s 2018 models are superb and they finally have a Globetrotter in North America.
Thatā€™s a nice trip for a birthday surprise. Hope you had a good time.

Regards Paul

Paul John:
Hi John. Thatā€™s a Freightliner there or Freightshaker as we call them. I posted a photo of the 2018 Freightliner a few months back. Probably a good time to compare them and see how far they have advanced. They are closing in on Volvo, but Volvoā€™s 2018 models are superb and they finally have a Globetrotter in North America.
Thatā€™s a nice trip for a birthday surprise. Hope you had a good time.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul, yes it was for my 50th ,I got family in Canada and New York so it was a good present and brilliant time my partner is coops sister in law ,we are thinking of going to the states next year cheers John

Ely Transport Cardiff.

smallcoal:

taffybloke:

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew,this was on deans site Tom Hughes of Barry have you heard of these John

That Ford was mostly driven by Gerry Davies from Cardiff. It has his wifeā€™s name on the front. I have driven it occasionally but I usually used our 2200 then 2800 Dafs

Mike

Gerry Davies did he drive for any one else cause the name is familiar

Gerry also drove for Valley Carriers when I was there in the early 70s, He later bought a Guy tractor unit from them and freelanced with it for a couple of years. His name was Gerallt (I think) and lived near the golf ball water tank in Fairwater Cardiff. I donā€™t know where he went after Tom Hughes.

Mike

DEANB:
Ely Transport Cardiff.

A fore -runner of Cardiff transport? There were a few drivers from Glyn John rubbing their hands hoping to get a sleeper cab when Glyn John bought them out !

Hi all,
Courtesy of Patrick budd,the DAF he drives for Jaga bros. Thanks pat and good to chat with you about the old days earlier tonight mate.

cardiff tpt.jpeg

If those slabs are 12t each, then 2 straps holding each one down might be a bit on the wing and a prayer side eh?

kmills:
If those slabs are 12t each, then 2 straps holding each one down might be a bit on the wing and a prayer side eh?

hi KMills,
cardiff transports ERF is loaded with aluminium ingots in that shot,though theyā€™d be a similar weight imo.a standard slab is generally between 3-5 feet wide and 30 plus feet long and 10-12 inch thick solid steel.sometimes,they would be too warm to use straps!

This fine beast started life as an 8-legger, Iā€™m guessing as a tipper, and presumably in the Swansea area. Does the reg ring any bells?

Atkinson Ventuerer, GCY 802N, Killingbeck Transport. by Chris Pattison, on Flickr

Hi Andrew,I seen the Evans erf you did last night I was parked in their yard ready to tip this morning it was to dark to take a pic also it was in front of the main building

Hi dan I seen one of your boys in Swansea tipping at Morva rd

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
Courtesy of Patrick budd,the DAF he drives for Jaga bros. Thanks pat and good to chat with you about the old days earlier tonight mate.

He got one hell of a tidy fleet now all immaculate